Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB Problem.. HELP HELP!!!

USB Problem.. HELP HELP!!!
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2005, 07:40 PM

Thanks ahead of time for your help on this situation:

I have a 12 in 867 G4 powerbook, I have had no problems or drops so everything has been in proper working order.

Just today my USB ports have been acting up. The problem is the two USB ports will allow me to sink my ipod up the computer and transfer music to it, however, I can not use my usb mouse, hub or keyboard. What would cause these problems??

NE Ideas on way to fix this?

Thanks

Frank

Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 08:57 PM

Do you mean they won't work properly while you are syncing up the 'Pod?

possibly because the iPod is maxing out all the bandwidth of the USB 1.1 bus built into your powerbook.

which iPod are you using?

Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2005, 10:59 PM

It will allow me to sync my iPod, but not use a USB keyboard, or mouse.. I am using and iPod Photo 30 gig...

I had it hooked into and USB 1.1 Hub and when I tried using one of the ports to sync my ipod the problem occured..

Ne Ideas?

Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 03:59 AM

Oddly, my info is that the iPod WILL NOT WORK properly via USB 1.1. It seems then that, while it itself may work, nothing else will.

You need to get yourself a Firewire cable and use that instead. Using Firewire will also give you about 40 (yes, forty) times the bandwidth when copying stuff to and from the 'Pod. It will also properly charge the iPod when it's connected to the computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules