Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Install new OS without losing data

Install new OS without losing data
May 10, 2005, 04:49 PM

Take it easy on me since I have been a mac user only for a month now.

The Powerbook I bought came with Panther, and then a week ago I received a Tiger installation CD (I had to send for it with a copy of the invoice). I am very tempted to install Tiger but have read here that they experience strange behavior when they "upgrade."

I am more interested in a clean install. Is it just as painful as the windows world? How would one perform a clean Tiger installation without losing any applications and user data? I realize there is going to be some work involved in backup things up and such, but do I have to manually install all the programs I have now and then manuall move files over?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 06:03 PM

It's quite easy. Which programs do you want to keep? Ilife? Adobe? and do you have the install disks?

You should have back ups, but if you want to go ahead, install it with an "archive install"

Just follow the directions once you insert the Tiger disk.

May 10, 2005, 07:05 PM

Ideally I would like to keep all the programs and yes I do have install disks for all of them. Of particular interest are the iLife and Microsoft Office. I have tons of emails in Entourage. I was successful in moving all these emails from the PC over to the MAC and would hate to go through another painful process.

I also have data in DevonThink that I would like to keep...

Thanks for responding to my post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules