Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Thinksecret claims new 13.3" Intel iBooks in Jan...

Thinksecret claims new 13.3" Intel iBooks in Jan... (Page 2)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2006, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Really? most screens have at least both DVI and VGA, if not only DVI
I can never find any DVI or DVI and VGA LCD screens in stock at Futureshop and Best Buy. At least not in the store itself. I was looking for some not to long ago and I was pretty much stuck with all VGA models or 19" + LCD's to be ordered in.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2006, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
The Dual Core Yonahs are more expensive. iBooks will ship with single core Yonahs.
More expensive then what?.... Single core Yonahs, well sure it is. But the real question is how does the Dual Core Yonahs compare to the G4 and G5 cpu's. If the Dual Core Yonahs are similar to the G4 then I don't see any reason why Apple wouldn't use a slower clock speed Dual Core in the iBook and a faster clock speed Dual Core Yonahs in the Power Books.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2006, 04:28 AM

like to add, if Apple came out with a black ibook, hell ya I would buy it

Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2006, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
More expensive then what?.... Single core Yonahs, well sure it is. But the real question is how does the Dual Core Yonahs compare to the G4 and G5 cpu's. If the Dual Core Yonahs are similar to the G4 then I don't see any reason why Apple wouldn't use a slower clock speed Dual Core in the iBook and a faster clock speed Dual Core Yonahs in the Power Books.
From all I've heard, a single core Yonah running at 1.67 GHz should beat any existing G4 in everyday use (2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz bus!).

I agree that the iBooks will get the single and the PowerBooks the dual core Yonah.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2006, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
From all I've heard, a single core Yonah running at 1.67 GHz should beat any existing G4 in everyday use (2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz bus!).

I agree that the iBooks will get the single and the PowerBooks the dual core Yonah.
I don't, I think apple will attempt to use the best they can with out outdoing its pro line because Apple is also going against other laptop makers as well. But it really all depends on price. And I don't have the prices for the new CPU's yet so its all guessing right now

Senior User
Jan 2, 2006, 05:02 AM

Well, I think it's important to point out that Thinksecret has been wrong in the past with their post expo predictions. Although their accuracy in publishing rumors is quite high, they sometimes miss the ball. Whether or not their iBook spec predictions come true or not, new iBooks will be announced at MacWorld - they are due for an update. I think they will be Intel, whether or not they are dual core is the biggest question mark in my head...

PowerBooks were just updated. While it's possible they would have PowerBook announcements at the expo, I think it's highly unlikely given everything else Apple will be covering.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2006, 05:05 AM

brings me to a point, a friend of mine is trying to sell me his powerbook so he can get a new one. I can't decide if I should get the new ones or get the year old powerbook book at a bargin price Would love some opinions on this.

Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2006, 05:08 AM

It seems rather early for the PowerBook indeed. Although the last update was minor at best.

OTOH, if Apple were to introduce dual core Yonah iBooks, who in their right mind would buy a PowerBook G4 anymore?

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2006, 05:09 AM

I don't think Apple has any other option other then to update both ibooks and powerbooks with Intel CPU's

Senior User
Jan 2, 2006, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
It seems rather early for the PowerBook indeed. Although the last update was minor at best.
The only time I can recall Apple updating the PB's so soon after they were just updated was when they added the 12" and 17" PB models to the 15" Titanium model lineup. I believe Apple updated the 15" PowerBook in November 2002 and then they introduced the 12" and 17" aluminum PB models during their January 2003 keynote. This was a special exception though, as they just added PB models, they didn't actually replace them with new models.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2006, 08:46 AM

Yeah, I remember that too. They also once replaced a Ti revision with a SuperDrive revision after only two months or so. Apart from that they normally stick to cycles ≤6 months.

OTOH if Intel is actually releasing single and dual core Yonahs in January, why not go ahead and replace both lines.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2006, 11:39 AM

The announcement of one iBook and one PowerBook at the show makes perfect sense. This would allow Apple to replace its existing iBook line with the one new iBook, at least for now, leaving room to add back a second model later, and to ship a single Intel PowerBook for early adopters while leaving the other G4 models available for a limited amount of time for those who can't switch yet for one reason or another. It also means Apple doesn't have to ship all of its models new at once.

I believe we will see a single core Yonah iBook, probably the rumored 13". I believe we'll see a dual core Yonah PowerBook 15", the most popular model. Apple will continue to ship the 17" PowerBook G4 for a while longer, while the 12" will keep shipping if there is stock. The PowerBook 15 may not ship as soon as the iBook, but I bet both will be announced, alongside a Mac Mini.

Some time later in the spring the PowerBook line would be completedly changed over. I don't think Apple will ignore the market that the 12" fills, but I agree that this model could be discontinued. What I think the rumors are missing is that Apple could easily wrap the 13" iBook in PowerBook coating and stick in a dual core Yonah and then call it a PowerBook. It could share the iBook architecture like it does today. This is why I think the rumors have it right, that Apple is discontinuing it, while ignoring the real possibility that the next iBook will just be wrapped up as a PowerBook again.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 06:24 PM

Since this seems to be a good time for a guess, here are my thoughts on what we will see next week. Apologies first to mql (above) who predicted the main lines to come. My additions to his thoughts focus on the older machines.

These thoughts are based on the following assumptions:

1. That the dual core Yanoh is coming this week and the single core in June. I think this is what I’ve seen as the schedule;

2. That Dell has announced/will announce laptops on the new chip (details to come after the chip is officially announced) in February

3. That Steve will want to one-up Michael Dell (no love lost there that I can see) and would want to make a splash—first impressions being what they are, they would be important in this transition period.

Given those thoughts, at the Mini level I see a dual-core media machine at some price point higher than the machine we see now, say $999, with the current Mini continuing at a slight discount from current price, say $50 less; for the iBook level, a dual core wide screen at 13.3 inches, replacing the current 12 inch Powerbook and 14 inch iBook and selling for $1399 or so. The current 12 inch iBook would continue, but at a reduced price, say $750 to $799l and a dual core 15 inch Powerbook priced at $1799 to $1999. The old 15 inch would go away and the 17 inch would be reduced in price. In June, when single core chips are available, the older versions noted above (except the 17 inch Powerbook) would be upgraded with the single core chip, and by then faster dual core chips would available for the upper Powerbook line

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 02:15 AM

Alright, firstly, if we do see new ibooks at macworld, they're gonna be dual core, purely because the new intel "Core" processors will only come in dual core up until April, apparently. Secondly, what are the chances that whatever new macs are released come with an optional Blu-ray Superdrive? Apple prides itself on being the first to uptake new technology - wifi, DVD, bluetooth. Pioneer (who made the Superdrives in most PowerMacs i've seen) plan to release a Bluray drive "Early 2006". What are the chances that it'd be included in the new lineup? Hard to tell, but it would add to the lifespan of the new iBooks. Whats the point of releasing a new lineup in another month just to include Bluray? I personally think that that could be the other major point of the new lineup. Of course that will most likely make up the premium that Apple usually charge, meaning that prices wouldn't change. Or maybe they'll leave Bluray to the Powerbooks? Not sure, but personally I'm waiting for Blu-Ray in notebooks before I buy a new one. Even if its only a combo BR-D/DVD+RW/CD-RW setup.

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by wellsenkind
Secondly, what are the chances that whatever new macs are released come with an optional Blu-ray Superdrive? Apple prides itself on being the first to uptake new technology - wifi, DVD, bluetooth. Pioneer (who made the Superdrives in most PowerMacs i've seen) plan to release a Bluray drive "Early 2006". What are the chances that it'd be included in the new lineup? Hard to tell, but it would add to the lifespan of the new iBooks. Whats the point of releasing a new lineup in another month just to include Bluray? I personally think that that could be the other major point of the new lineup. Of course that will most likely make up the premium that Apple usually charge, meaning that prices wouldn't change. Or maybe they'll leave Bluray to the Powerbooks? Not sure, but personally I'm waiting for Blu-Ray in notebooks before I buy a new one. Even if its only a combo BR-D/DVD+RW/CD-RW setup.
I think it's very unlikely that any computer will come with Bluray drives until they're first available commercially as stand alone DVD players. They're not yet. What would be the point of an iBook coming with an optical drive made for HD, when the graphics and display aren't HD capable? Seeing that until recently you couldn't even get a superdrive in an iBook and still can't in the 12" model, Bluray might never be available in an iBook. It usually takes quite awhile for drive manufacturers to come up with slot loading (new technology) drives for laptops; well after they're available for desktops. Bluray is going to be very expensive technology until it has been on the market for quite a while. Lastly, as you mentioned, if these drives were ever put in iBooks, they'd likely be put in PowerBooks first. Does that answer your question?

Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 03:12 AM

I don't think Apple has any other option other then to update both ibooks and powerbooks with Intel CPU's
Absolutely right, but it would not be the first time Apple would disappoint all. But I guess not this time.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by iDaver
I think it's very unlikely that any computer will come with Bluray drives until they're first available commercially as stand alone DVD players. They're not yet. What would be the point of an iBook coming with an optical drive made for HD, when the graphics and display aren't HD capable? Seeing that until recently you couldn't even get a superdrive in an iBook and still can't in the 12" model, Bluray might never be available in an iBook. It usually takes quite awhile for drive manufacturers to come up with slot loading (new technology) drives for laptops; well after they're available for desktops. Bluray is going to be very expensive technology until it has been on the market for quite a while. Lastly, as you mentioned, if these drives were ever put in iBooks, they'd likely be put in PowerBooks first. Does that answer your question?
Is a blank DVD only ment for movies. Stop thinking one demential. The next format is also going to be great for massive amounts of data storage too. Forget games on 2 or 3 DVDs. But on a single Blu-Ray disc. And what about backing up 300GB of hard drives these days, 405 CD's? 40 DVD's. 12 Blu-Rays or less?

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2006, 08:56 AM

I thought the 1.66 Ghz Core Solo was being released along the various Core Duo chips. According to the pricelist Intel posted early, it's coming. We'll know for sure on Thursday when Intel formally announces them.

I've been assuming that the iBook was going to get the 1.66 Ghz Core Solo chip instead of the Duo.

Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by mgl
I thought the 1.66 Ghz Core Solo was being released along the various Core Duo chips.
AppleInsider agrees with you. ThinkSecret doesn't.

Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 4, 2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by mgl
I thought the 1.66 Ghz Core Solo was being released along the various Core Duo chips. According to the pricelist Intel posted early, it's coming. We'll know for sure on Thursday when Intel formally announces them.

I've been assuming that the iBook was going to get the 1.66 Ghz Core Solo chip instead of the Duo.
I'm not assuming even that. The 1.66 GHz Core Solo chip isn't that cheap either. The cheap Yonah chip is the 1.66 GHz Celeron M (which would still blow any G4 out of the water performance-wise).

Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2006, 09:30 AM

According to this article the 1.67 GHz chips cost $209 for the Solo Core and $241 for the Duo Core version. There's a low voltage version of the dual 1.67 GHz at $315.

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006, 10:59 AM

Is a blank DVD only ment for movies. Stop thinking one demential. The next format is also going to be great for massive amounts of data storage too...
Oh so now we're talking about Bluray BURNERS in iBooks? No way, no how, not this year or probably next year either.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 08:15 PM

no not yet, but I did say software/data also being used on BluRay

Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2006, 11:07 PM

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006, 11:34 PM

I say throw the 6-month cycle out the window. The PowerBooks are so long overdue for a processor upgrade, I don't think the last refresh is an issue. I had a TiBook that ran at 1.0GHz G4 like what ... 3-years ago? Today I have a 1.67 GHz G4 which after almost a year is still the fastest PowerBook available.

Just when Steve was yammering on how laptops are booming, the PowerBook line stalled. The bean counters in Cuppertino are probably crying themselves to sleep thinking about how much cash a fast and sexy new PowerBook will make them.

Everybody I know that has a PowerBook is packing a credit card, waiting for the new Books. Granted that's only like 6-people, but I'm guessing there are lots more of you out there like us.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2006, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Those are retail prices?

Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2006, 02:36 PM

Those are retail prices?
1Ku Tray

Senior User
Jan 5, 2006, 04:41 PM

So with these prices in mind, is it realistic or feasible that Apple could announce dual core iBooks using 1.66Ghz? Thus, saving the higher end processors for their PB lineup early next year...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Senior User
Jan 5, 2006, 05:19 PM

Even though I'm not going to say that it won't happen, it seems silly for Apple to introduce either an intel ibook or just one Powerbook & ibook with intel processors. Won't this make the rest of the product line totally obsolete? Who will buy a Powerbook when the ibooks are better? and who will buy a 17" or 12" PowerBook if the 15 inch is vastly superior? And it makes no sense to have a consumer line more powerful than a pro one!

I fear it will happen anyway though...
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2006, 09:22 PM

1. Apple likely gets a much better price than this. They don't buy in 1K quantities.

2. It's possible Apple could release a dual core iBook. The cost isn't that much higher. I want a dual core iBook so I'm hoping for one, but I don't think we'll see them because: a: Apple wants to price it as low as possible. b: Apple would love to differentiate the Powerbook further. c: The single core is more than adequate for most iBook customers. We're not the target market here.

3. It's entirely logical for Apple to release one iBook and one Powerbook, while continuing to ship some G4 systems. Remember when the 12 and 17" Aluminum Powerbooks came out, the 15" model continued as a Ti for quite some time. There will be some customers who cannot buy Intel books until key apps are ported. Apple needs to keep selling some G4 books for them. As well, Apple's engineering team is small and it's tough to change every model simultaneously. Imagine if Tuesday we have this lineup available for 3 months or so until the remaining models are switched later in the spring / summer:

iBook 12" G4 1.33 - $999
iBook 13" widescreen Core Single 1.66 - $1299
PowerBook 15" G4 1.67 - $1699
PowerBook 15" Core Duo 1.83 - $1999
PowerBook 17" G4 1.67 - $2199

This would be a reasonable release of 2 Intel books while continuing to sell a few existing G4 models.

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2006, 09:30 PM

Mgl, it might make sense for Apple to continue with G4s if prices are dropped, as you indicate.

z0ne81, I agree it would be ridiculous for the consumer line iBooks to be more powerful, even for a few months, than the PowerBooks. It won't happen, IMO. Since rumor says core single processors aren't due until spring, I doubt we'll see new iBooks until then.

Senior User
Jan 5, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by mgl
Imagine if Tuesday we have this lineup available for 3 months or so until the remaining models are switched later in the spring / summer:

iBook 12" G4 1.33 - $999
iBook 13" widescreen Core Single 1.66 - $1299
PowerBook 15" G4 1.67 - $1699
PowerBook 15" Core Duo 1.83 - $1999
PowerBook 17" G4 1.67 - $2199

This would be a reasonable release of 2 Intel books while continuing to sell a few existing G4 models.
Apple would never offer Intel as well as IBM processors in their iBook lineup at the same time, same goes for the PowerBook. Not only would it be confusing to their customers, it simply isn't practical.

At the very least, I think its reasonable to expect an announcement of Intel iBooks at the keynote. Apple simply isn't going to add one Intel notebook in this lineup, and one Intel notebook in the other lineup. It is possible that they could create an entire new laptop lineup, but considering how successful the iBook has been for them, I doubt there is a need to do this.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2006, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by im_noahselby
Apple would never offer Intel as well as IBM processors in their iBook lineup at the same time, same goes for the PowerBook. Not only would it be confusing to their customers, it simply isn't practical.
In a slightly different situation, to accomodate pro users who still had to boot OS 9 Apple did something similar. After introducing G5 Power Macs, Apple continued to sell G4 Power Macs that would still boot OS 9. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that they would do the same thing in the near future with iBooks or PowerBooks.

As mgl pointed out, it can take some time to engineer two complete lines of notebooks. If one or two new models are ready, it might be logical to continue to sell one or two of the older versions at the same time. From a marketing standpoint, it would certainly be better to blow our socks off and renew all of the portables at the same time, if that's possible.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2006, 12:00 AM

This is why I think we'll have a mix of G4 and Intel books for a few months. It's not that Apple will introduce new G4 books, or put them in the new casings, but just continue to sell a few of the old models to keep users who need them happy. Apple has done it before and it makes sense to do it again.

Apple has said they will do consumer machines first. Just converting the iBook line would make it more powerful than the PowerBook line. Converting both lines at the same time would be a lot of engineering work and doesn't match with the rumors. Converting the pro line first wouldn't match the last Steve note. I think a mix is the most likely outcome.

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2006, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by mgl
Apple has said they will do consumer machines first.
Link?

I don't believe anyone at Apple has made any such statement. The Mac web has just assumed as much. I think the reasoning has been that since Power Macs have G5s, they're least in need of upgrading. I think C-net was the first on base with the rumor you're stating as fact, then everyone else began reporting/hypothesising the same.

Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2006, 05:13 AM

In a slightly different situation, to accomodate pro users who still had to boot OS 9 Apple did something similar. After introducing G5 Power Macs, Apple continued to sell G4 Power Macs that would still boot OS 9. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that they would do the same thing in the near future with iBooks or PowerBooks.
Yes, but they didn't put a newer, faster processor right in the middle of their lineup then. They just introduced a higher-end line above the Power Mac G4.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2006, 08:03 AM

As mgl pointed out, it can take some time to engineer two complete lines of notebooks. If one or two new models are ready, it might be logical to continue to sell one or two of the older versions at the same time. From a marketing standpoint, it would certainly be better to blow our socks off and renew all of the portables at the same time, if that's possible.
the reason for that was supply shortages for the G5, price and stock. Had nothing to do with OS 9 considering the lowest OS it could handle (PowerMac G4 FW800) was 10.2.3 and NO native OS 9 booting support at all

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2006, 10:21 AM

the reason for that was supply shortages for the G5, price and stock. Had nothing to do with OS 9 considering the lowest OS it could handle (PowerMac G4 FW800) was 10.2.3 and NO native OS 9 booting support at all
I believe that is only partially correct. The Power Mac 1.25 Ghz single processor was reintroduced after G5s were available, just for those who still needed to boot in OS 9. It was available from the online Apple store for months.

Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by mgl
Apple has said they will do consumer machines first.
Link?

I don't believe anyone at Apple has made any such statement. The Mac web has just assumed as much. I think the reasoning has been that since Power Macs have G5s, they're least in need of upgrading. I think C-net was the first on base with the rumor you're stating as fact, then everyone else began reporting/hypothesising the same.
Okay, I got things to do right now, but I'm watching the WWDC keynote again because I think iDaver is right. I don't remember Steve mentioning what would come first during the keynote, and I don't remember anyone providing a source for the "consumer machines first" statement. I remember wondering back in June why everyone was suddenly repeating this like it was CONFIRMED!!!

If anyone's got the linky, I'll shut my fat trap.

[Edit: Steve didn't say anything about which Macs would get Intel first. Anyone got a link for an apple exec stating it on the record?]

I agree with a good bit of mgl's other assertions, though: I think it's entirely plausible that there'll be PowerBooks with PPC and Intel procs available at the same time, for reasons I mentioned before (don't remember if it was this thread or another). I don't think they'll split up the iBooks this way, because for the most part iBook buyers aren't gonna be picky about what chip they got (I know some of us might care, but we're not typical buyers).
( Last edited by slugslugslug; Jan 6, 2006 at 12:18 PM. )

Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2006, 11:36 AM

I believe that is only partially correct. The Power Mac 1.25 Ghz single processor was reintroduced after G5s were available, just for those who still needed to boot in OS 9. It was available from the online Apple store for months.
That's right (I bought one).

When the PMG5 was announced, Apple dropped to PMG4 with Firewire 800 and reintroduced the PMG4s with Firewire 400.
Agent69

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2006, 02:51 PM

A lot of graphics pros would have been really put out at first by not being able to boot into OS 9 (some still are). It will be the same with the switch to Intel. So, it won't surprise me a bit if a PowerBook with PPC processor is sold for the next year or so after new models go Intel.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2006, 01:34 PM

I could be wrong about apple stating consumer first, I do have a terrible memory. I did find this mention on Ars that Steve had announced consumer first, but I can't find the actual quote. From Ars: "Steve Jobs' announcement that Apple would introduce Intel processors into its products at the laptop and low-end levels makes a ton of sense." Was this real?

Anyway, we'll know on Tuesday.

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by mgl
I could be wrong about apple stating consumer first, I do have a terrible memory. I did find this mention on Ars that Steve had announced consumer first, but I can't find the actual quote. From Ars: "Steve Jobs' announcement that Apple would introduce Intel processors into its products at the laptop and low-end levels makes a ton of sense." Was this real?
No. Apparently Ars picked up the rumor and ran with it.

I don't disagree that Ars comment about low-end Macs makes sense. I'm just pretty sure Apple never said anything about which Macs would go Intel first. I listened to that portion of the WWDC keynote a couple of times and it wasn't said there. If it was said at any other time I'd love to be proved wrong.

My prediction: new PowerBooks will be announced at MWSF. No Intel Macs will ship for several more weeks. iBooks will remain as they are for a while until suitable single core chips are available.

Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 04:08 PM

I still don't get why people are convinced Apple will announce Intel PowerBooks in January. Would you really want to abandon your pro customer base by shipping a pro laptop with no pro software to run on it? Heck, we don't even know if Office 2006 will be available when Intel Macs ship.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Commodus
Would you really want to abandon your pro customer base by shipping a pro laptop with no pro software to run on it? Heck, we don't even know if Office 2006 will be available when Intel Macs ship.
History has shown that software developers won't get on the stick until they're forced to; i.e., there's hardware out there on which their software won't properly run. Meanwhile, there's Rosetta. Let's hope it works.

If Apple has processors that are suitable for a new line of PowerBooks, they'll use them. Whether or not the hardware will be ready this month, we won't know until Tuesday. Apple gave software developers notice back in June. What more can you expect?

Jan 7, 2006, 05:42 PM

I still don't get why people are convinced Apple will announce Intel PowerBooks in January. Would you really want to abandon your pro customer base by shipping a pro laptop with no pro software to run on it? Heck, we don't even know if Office 2006 will be available when Intel Macs ship.
Chances are pros already have powerbooks to run said software on, and that apple will continue to offer a powerbook g4 to people that "feel" they need it. It's not like todays powerbooks will cease to run once new intel models are introduced. Have you guys seen some of the benchmarks for intel's core duo? It's a BEAST.

Even a dual 1.66 yonah is going to run circles around todays powerbook. There is no way they could even offer the current powerbooks even close to their current prices. They would have to be dropped below $1000 to even be taken seriously!

Check out thishttp://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2324 review of a new Acer notebook.

-2ghz core duo
-2gb system ram
-Integrated 1.3 megapixel webcam
-ATI x1600 w/256mb of memory
-DVI/VGA out
-Bluetooth VoIP integrated phone charged from the pc-card slot
-Widescreen 15.4 display W/1680x1050 resolution

All this and more, for around $2100 US. I also suspect Apple is going to get extremely good pricing, because intel wants them to be their show pony for new technology. A powerbook with these specs would make todays g4 irrelevant. Emulation would probably be faster than native apps anyhow.

Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 07:14 PM

Fair points, but I still think Apple will need some pro apps to make Intel PowerBooks work. After all, how would a demonstrator show off Apple's latest hardware to pros at a conference if they couldn't run anything natively?

Anyways, given the new mobile chipsets unveiled at CES, I'm wondering if the new iBook lineup won't look something like this...

12" iBook
* 1024x768 display
* 1.66 GHz Core Solo processor
* 512 MB of DDR2 533 MHz RAM
* 60 GB hard drive
* Combo drive
* 64 MB Mobility Radeon X1300 video
* $999

13" iBook
* 13.3" widescreen display (1280x800)
* 1.66 GHz Core Solo processor
* 512 MB of DDR2 533 MHz RAM
* 80 GB hard dirve
* 8X Superdrive DL
* 64 Mobility Radeon X1300 video
* $1299

I hope that's not too unreasonable. Apple still needs a cheap and small notebook, so I don't think the 12" is going away altogether. But I also think they want something which bridges the gap between iBook and PowerBook better than the current lineup (especially the 12" PowerBook as it is now). I'm only really iffy about the hard drive and video chipset, since I don't know if they're really inexpensive enough for these prices. I also can't help but think that there may be some unofficial lower speed grade for the Core Solo (such as 1.5 GHz) that Apple may want to use to keep costs in line.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2006, 12:53 AM

I agree with Commodus, Apple will keep a 12" iBook as the entry level, especially for education markets. My thought is I'm not sure if the 12" will migrate at the same time the 14" becomes the 13" widescreen intel.

I don't think Intel will offer slower than 1.66. I guess it's possible Apple could put a dual in the 13" as long as the pbooks were all faster than 1.66. I'd whip my visa out so fast for a dual 13.

Who am I kidding. I'll whip out my visa for a 13" widescreen iBook or PBook.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 04:40 AM

ah your right, just looked into it with more detail.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 04:45 AM

All the software out now should run on the Intel chips. Thats what Rossetta is for. And you just have to look at the 68k to PPC switch. And that was a more complicated switch too. This switch is supose to be pretty easy for most developers. I think Apple will go all Intel with each line not a mix. And it was a much much bigger hassal for developers to make there OS 9 apps into OS X apps. Chances are worst case, the Intel Macs running non Intel software will run about as fast as the current G4's now apps that are built and optimized for the Intel cpus will run blazing fast. Thats my prediction.

Also the old OS was not even fully PPC native until MacOS 8.5.0, from 7.1 all the way to 8.1 it was a mix of 68k and PPC code, with 8.1 being seeing most of the core OS PPC native. No one really noticed then. I do remmeber that with 7.6 It ran a tad bit faster on my 25Mhz LC475 with a 68040 over my PPC 601 80Mhz Power Mac
( Last edited by Athens; Jan 8, 2006 at 04:52 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules