Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > "BIOS" settings on a Macbook Pro

"BIOS" settings on a Macbook Pro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 01:40 AM

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a laptop computer for work use, and I really want to
get a Macbook pro. The machine will be used for development, and will primarily
run Windows. It will need to run a number of proprietary applications that are known
to be a bit finicky about the hardware they run on. For instance, when running our normal desktop Windows computers we usually need to turn off superthreading to stop one application from crashing wildly.

I'm a bit concerned about compatibility, so I'm wondering about what kind of "BIOS"
settings are available to turn specific features on and off. Specifically, is it
possible to set the processor to operate in "single core" mode?

PS: I know that the Macbook pro doesn't have a BIOS per se, what I'm looking for is
a list of options I can tweak when booting the machine.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2006, 07:27 AM

You don't tweak a mac like you would a PC, Intel processor or not.

You can set single core mode from the OS using the terminal, I believe.

You will not likely be able to tweak anything BIOS related as it is up to Apple's Boot Camp EFI Interpreter to set things up, and there are not user adjustable settings that I am aware of.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Senior User
Oct 25, 2006, 07:45 AM

Why on earth would you buy a mac to primarily run Windows apps?
iMac G4 / Macbook

Oct 25, 2006, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple View Post
Why on earth would you buy a mac to primarily run Windows apps?
You will be amaze how many "tech" people purchase a Mac laptop to run win/LInux, Mbp is one of the better design/build laptop for the price.

Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 12:31 PM

Anyway, if you install XCode and the optional CHUD Tools, you can turn on and off the second processor core. I'm not certain whether that settings sticks across a reboot into Windows, though.

Example screenshot:

Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2006, 08:59 PM

Superthreading? Do you mean Hyperthreading? Core (2) Duo doesn't have HyperThreading.

Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2006, 09:28 PM

They have multithreading, though. Also, MacBooks use EFI and not BIOS. I haven't a clue how you'd go about changing settings in EFI, though. You'd want to check out Intel's website.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ahochan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 02:34 AM

I mean hyperthreading, yes. Sorry about the typo. If the core 2 duo doesn't have hyperthreading, I might be fine.

If I do need to turn off the second processor core I'll need a way to do that from windows as well as from os x though.

Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2006, 07:03 AM

Since all new CPU's are dual core... you had better make your code thread safe pretty sharpish... or you'll have no customers.

ahochan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 10:40 PM

If only it were that simple. The misbehaving application I need to run is a simulator for a very proprietary mobile phone platform that I develop for (as a third party). The chances of the customer ever cleaning up that application are less than zero

And I don't think an application has to be thread safe to run on a dual core CPU... otherwise everybody running one would have major compability problems for lots of applications.

Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 03:55 AM

Oh, you have problems with a 3rd party app... sorry I didn't understand

Well I expect the problems you had were with the weird hack that was hyperthreading rather than problems, like race conditions with threads across different CPUs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules