Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook cd/dvd drive not working

Macbook cd/dvd drive not working
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 01:17 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to the mac and finding it great so far, but after about a month of having my macbook, the cd/dvd drive appears to have stopped working.
I watched dvds when i first got the computer ok, but now when I insert a disc it starts to spin up but does not launch dvd player. The eject button puts an eject caption on the screen but will not eject the disc. The disc doesn't appear on the desktop or anywhere else. The only way I have found of retrieving my disc is to switch off and then on again and I get a message, disc can't be read, and an eject option.
I have just tried an audio cd with the same results, no program launch and no recognition that any media has been inserted.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm away from home at the moment, so can't get the computer into a shop until next week.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 05:11 PM

I have a similar problem, my cd/dvd drive have been working - but not anymore. It's also about a month ago i bought my Macbook, and sadly my cd/dvd drive won't read any disc. I can put a disc in and the drive tries read it, but after a while the disc is ejected...

So I'm also looking for answers... thanks in advance

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 06:36 AM

Solution: Apple has repaired my macbook, they replaced the superdrive.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2006, 07:16 PM

Noooo .... U Serious???

Mine Is Less Than A Month Old .. And It Does The Same .. Keeps Ejecting Any Disk I Put In ...

Any Other Solutionç???? .. Please Post..

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2006, 09:28 AM

These problems have plagued Apple laptops for as long as I've worked with them. When I worked at the university, all the students rcvd Titanium Powerbooks and them Aluminum Powerbooks and at least 10% experienced failures in the DVD/CD drive. The most common problem was the constant eject. In a few cases the problems were intermittent. All required replacement of the drive. Take it in or send it back while under warranty.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2007, 10:41 AM

Same issue here. I'm brining it into the retail store so their "geniouses" can fix it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules