Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help Ibook G4 suddenly a turtle lost

Help Ibook G4 suddenly a turtle lost
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 11:49 AM

Hi all,
Sorry my first post is a plea for help writing from a PC no less.
Suddenly my ibook is just drawling along. cannot empty icons because it says o4 is in use?
Cannot runn permmisions repair either.
really stuck any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2007, 12:35 PM

try booting from the os x installation disk or your system's restore disk. Run disk utility and see how it plays out

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 01:35 PM

Sorry How do u do that?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 01:57 PM

When I run disk utility from a disk I get a window that says Disk Utlity Internal error
and then says to quit

Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 04:46 PM

If you have another Mac and a firewire cable, boot up the iBook in Target Disk Mode by holding down the 'T' key and hitting the power button. If you connect the FW cable between the two Macs, the iBook's HD should pop up on the other Mac as a firewire disk. First thing to do is back up any data that you can and then try and run disk utilities on it.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 05:10 PM

sorry no other mac
trying to load macjaniior but everything is very slow and nothing really loads or runs

Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 05:23 PM

When is the last time you have restarted? This could be the sign of disc failure. While it still works, back up anything you can any way you can, via flash drives, CDs, the internet, etc. If it really is drive failure, you have a ticking time bomb on your hands and you never know when you might lose everything.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2007, 11:12 PM

after backing up what do i do?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 08:31 AM

Ok so I booted from the installation disk and ran disk utility and I get "first aid failure"
disk could not be reapaired due to an internal error. Does this mean this is now hopeless?
Losing faith in mac one error at a time

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 09:24 AM

ok now I cannot get the book to booy only from a disk and it's want to install os. I just need to get on the internet to install techtool. Any help anyone can suggest?

Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2007, 10:41 AM

If Disk Utility failed, your only hope is DiskWarrior. It may take a long time to run...just let it do its work. If the disk is recoverable, DiskWarrior will fix it.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 11:21 AM

Is there anyway to get this beast back on the net one more time to download diskwarrior?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 11:37 AM

I was trying to reinstallmac osx but i arrived at a window that asks to select a destination volume with no options what do I do?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 11:45 AM

should I just go out and buy Disk warrior?
will it run?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 01:16 PM

tried running fsck on single used mode and get invalalid node error...help

Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by morganmac View Post
should I just go out and buy Disk warrior?
will it run?
Yes to both.

Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by morganmac View Post
Ok so I booted from the installation disk and ran disk utility and I get "first aid failure"
disk could not be reapaired due to an internal error. Does this mean this is now hopeless?
Losing faith in mac one error at a time
It's not Apple's fault, it's a third party hard drive and this kind of thing happens to every computer manufacturer. It's an unfortunate situation, and it really stressed the need for regular backups.
DiskWarrior should be able to help you out, it's saved a couple hard drives of mine that had the same symptoms as yours. As soon as it provides you with the example of the fixed hard drive, COPY YOUR DATA SOMEWHERE ELSE. Like I said, buy an external drive, copy it to flash drives, ANYTHING. Your drive most likely will not be fixed, but your data will be available for just a little while longer, get as much of it as you can while it's there.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 03:39 PM

I went to the store to buy disk warrior but cannot find it anywhere. Only on the net but since I cannot get on the net I am living a paradox. Data on my machine is not all that important to me. One story I would like to have but otherwise it can all basically go. I downloaded techtools on my pc but do not know how to get it to the mac

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 04:43 PM

ok ran hardware test and got error code 2stf/8/3 ata-100 ata-6 Master seems like the hard drive to these newbie eyes

Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2007, 05:04 PM

Your best bet is to find a Mac User Group, a school, or a library somewhere that has a Mac you can use to connect via Firewire and then you can run anything you want on the drive.

I suppose if you were really ambitious you could find someone to burn you a linux live CD and then try and recover the disk while booted into Ubuntu or the like.

Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Your best bet is to find a Mac User Group, a school, or a library somewhere that has a Mac you can use to connect via Firewire and then you can run anything you want on the drive.
Connecting to the drive doesn't mean it will be fixable, though. You could just as easily run DiskWarrior when booted from the CD. I don't have the new version, but previously you could buy it, download, and burn a bootable CD.
( Last edited by Macola; Jan 3, 2007 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added info)

Forum Links
Forum Rules