Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 3 GIGs in a MacBook Pro

3 GIGs in a MacBook Pro
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2007, 11:07 PM

Hi All-
I've got a MBP Core Duo 17". Well the question I got is can one put 3 gigs in? I ask because I just saw a special on the xlr8yourmac page for ram at transintl. Here's the url http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ . It list 3 gigs for the MacBookPro for $299, but dont specify if it's for only the Core 2 Duo.

I hope someone can shed some light on this as while Im working in Motion or Maya I get a lot of pageouts even though I've got 2 gigs in my machine. Oh and my HD is only half full.

silver
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

Senior User
Mar 23, 2007, 11:59 PM

No. Only Core 2-based Macs support 3GB. It's hard limit, set in the firmware. Your MBP CD is unfortunately out of luck.

See Is the 2 GB maximum RAM capacity for the MacBook Pro "Core Duo" a true limit? Would it support 4 GB of RAM if I installed dual 2 GB SO-DIMMs? @ EveryMac.com for example

silver  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2007, 01:17 AM

@mfbernstein

Yes I knew that. Not to sure which models but there where a few Apple laptops a while back that actually took more ram although not documented by Apple.

on that site it also says "However, Apple generally provides the official "maximum RAM" based on the highest capacity memory modules available at the time the system is shipped. Some systems later can be upgraded beyond this amount when higher-capacity modules become available. On the other hand, some other systems cannot be upgraded beyond the maximum originally stated by Apple."

So in the end it could be possible, now to see if any brave souls have tried it out.

silver
( Last edited by silver; Mar 24, 2007 at 01:25 AM. )
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

Senior User
Mar 24, 2007, 03:05 AM

No, I was referring to the APC comment ('it's not possible'). Again, the RAM is limited to 2GB through the firmware. Unless you can hack that, you're out of luck. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...1#952006199731

Forum Links
Forum Rules