Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Frayed Power Cord (With Pictures!)

Frayed Power Cord (With Pictures!)
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2007, 08:39 PM

I've had my MacBook Pro for exactly four weeks tonight. I've got two power cables, one for home and one that stays in my classroom at work. The home one in particular is covered in tiny cracks, several of which are pictured below. The work one also has a few cracks but as it doesn't get moved around very much it's in much better shape. I looked at the home one tonight very closely and it looks like the cracks have been caused by the cord bending. (See photos.) Has anyone experienced similar problems? My Powerbook's cord got used in a similar fashion for a much longer period of time and doesn't look anything like this. More importantly, is it likely that Apple will replace them under warranty? I can't come up with any other explanation for the breakage.

( Last edited by CrazedVW; Jun 11, 2007 at 09:38 PM. )
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/4GB/500GB/SuperDrive (Mine)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/2GB/160GB/SuperDrive (Wife's)

Administrator
Jun 11, 2007, 09:05 PM

First off, that's not "frayed." The images show breaks in the outer casing of the cable. These images do not show anything like "fraying" which is generally defined as "worn by rubbing."

As to whether or not Apple will replace your adapter, that's a good darn question. The images are not well enough focused nor high enough resolution for me to see the quality of the edges of the casing breaks. It's easy to tell the difference between plastic that's flexed too much and just come apart and plastic that's been cut-and my first impulse is to say that from the pictures you've posted, it looks cut. I do not think Apple would replace your adapter because of cuts in the cable because that would fall under "abuse." If you can get better pictures, particularly pictures that are focused directly on the cable and not the surface you put it on, it would be easier to see how the damage occurred.

Of course you could just CALL Apple and say "hey, the cable on my new MBP's power adapter is coming apart. How do I get it replaced? That tactic should be pretty much guaranteed to work.

And finally, this is NOT typical. My MBP is almost a year old, and its power adapter cable looks solid. The wires inside it aren't all bundled as well as they were originally (there are a few lumps), but that's from me winding it on the ears provided on the adapter when I go back and forth to class.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2007, 09:37 PM

Ok, wrong choice of words. I assumed "fraying" would be the correct term but I'm not up on my wire vocabulary. I'll edit the post to use the word "cut" instead.

I was afraid it would look like it was abused. My first thought when I saw the damage was that maybe my girlfriend ran over it with the vacuum cleaner (which she insists she didn't) or our rabbit maybe chewed on the cables. But (and maybe I'm wrong) after closer inspection the damage doesn't look like it could have come from either of those sources. And when I looked at my cable at work and saw similar cracks I was really baffled as that cable only spent maybe two days at home before I took it to work where it's stayed since and I can't really think of any similiarities between the two environments.

So that begs the question, what could have caused those cuts? I'm open to any and all possibilities to check out. Regardless of whether Apple replaces it or I have to buy another power cord I'd hate to see the same thing happen again. Especially if it is something causing it that can be prevented. If anyone's got any suggestions (however stupid sounding) put them out there.

As for the photos, I thought they were focused directly on the cable. I used the 50mm macro lens on my DSLR to take those shots. Maybe I'm missing something but those photos are, "focused directly on the cable," with a bit of the floor in focus too. Those were the best I was able to get. Should I turn the cable and shoot it from a different angle maybe? I've got the original 6MP shots if you want them.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
First off, that's not "frayed." The images show breaks in the outer casing of the cable. These images do not show anything like "fraying" which is generally defined as "worn by rubbing."

As to whether or not Apple will replace your adapter, that's a good darn question. The images are not well enough focused nor high enough resolution for me to see the quality of the edges of the casing breaks. It's easy to tell the difference between plastic that's flexed too much and just come apart and plastic that's been cut-and my first impulse is to say that from the pictures you've posted, it looks cut. I do not think Apple would replace your adapter because of cuts in the cable because that would fall under "abuse." If you can get better pictures, particularly pictures that are focused directly on the cable and not the surface you put it on, it would be easier to see how the damage occurred.

Of course you could just CALL Apple and say "hey, the cable on my new MBP's power adapter is coming apart. How do I get it replaced? That tactic should be pretty much guaranteed to work.

And finally, this is NOT typical. My MBP is almost a year old, and its power adapter cable looks solid. The wires inside it aren't all bundled as well as they were originally (there are a few lumps), but that's from me winding it on the ears provided on the adapter when I go back and forth to class.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by CrazedVW View Post
...it looks like the cracks have been caused by the cord bending...
I'll finish the sentence you started (above) with "...by the cord bending around the sharp corners of a metal desk." or something along those lines. I'd say the damage pictured appears caused by a slice or cut, and probably not covered. I'd be careful with power cords especially so you don't have bigger problems (e.g. shock, fire, etc.)

Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2007, 09:50 PM

Another (possibly stupid) question: Assuming this is something in my house causing this, would it cause a problem to wrap the entire length of the thin portion of the power cord in electrical tape as a way to prevent further cuts?

Administrator
Jun 12, 2007, 07:40 AM

Since it's the casing of the cable that's cracked, yes, using electrical tape would prevent more deterioration of the cable. If the cable is in the same place all the time, you could go to an auto parts store and buy plastic "wire loom," a corrugated plastic tube that is used to protect wiring inside cars. You slip the cable inside it through the slit provided, and it covers and protects the contents quite well.

In the pictures, it looks like the foreground is in better focus than the cable, but that may simply be because the cable is...gray. Maybe the pictures are in great focus, but because of the color and surface of the cable it doesn't look entirely sharp.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2007, 09:47 AM

If the out cover has been cut, then it's likely that the inner insulating covers have been cut too. I'd only use this cable with extreme caution - if it shorts out it could easily start a fire.

Forum Links
Forum Rules