Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > can't adjust volume

can't adjust volume
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2007, 11:02 PM

So I have a MacBook Pro and on the top level of keys (F3,F4,F5) there are the volume controls. I keep trying to change the volume and when i do a thing comes up with a circle with a line through it and it won't let me change the volume. I've gone into system preferences, sound, and then to output and it says digital out - built in output. I haven't changed anything except use headphones but I never changed anything in the system preferences. How do I fix this?

Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by IrishFairy View Post
So I have a MacBook Pro and on the top level of keys (F3,F4,F5) there are the volume controls. I keep trying to change the volume and when i do a thing comes up with a circle with a line through it and it won't let me change the volume. I've gone into system preferences, sound, and then to output and it says digital out - built in output. I haven't changed anything except use headphones but I never changed anything in the system preferences. How do I fix this?
sounds like the jack thinks something is plugged in; try plugging & the headphones (maybe a few times?), see if that 'fixes' it. it should not be on 'digital out' if you're playing back thru the internal speakers...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 12:15 AM

okay so I've done that and it still is the same way and now from the headphones jack there is a red light? Really any imput would be greatly appreciated

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 12:17 AM

okay nevermind I plugged the headphones in, turned off the computer, turned it back on, and took the headphones out and now its working!!! Thanks so much!!!!

Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 08:42 PM

Old thread, but FYI, your optical digital out was somehow triggered. In that event, the level adjustment is disabled.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2007, 01:13 PM

I'm having this exact same problem - nothing's plugged into my headphone jack, yet I still get the little circle with the line through it and I'm unable to play sound through the internal speakers. This will randomly happen while I'm playing music, and it will randomly un-happen a few minutes later, seeming at arbitrary times. Plugging something into the headphone jack doesn't fix it.

Anyone else having this problem? I really don't want to have to hike down to the apple store, especially since it's intermittent and problems like this never seem to repeat themselves at the genius bar.

-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM

Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2007, 01:13 PM

oh, and this is on a macbook, not a pro.
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM

Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 1, 2007, 02:04 PM

Check the Audio MIDI Setup app in the Utilities folder to see if the output is something other than what it should be.

Forum Links
Forum Rules