Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > old macbook , or Shiny New Macbook Pro ??

old macbook , or Shiny New Macbook Pro ??
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2007, 10:54 AM

I bought a Macbook 1.1, last October:
Intel Core Duo, 2GB Ram - its a great machine but I'm really, really tempted by the latest Macbook Pro's - love the new screens.

Now if I got a macbook pro, 2.4 GHz, 4GB ram + 7200rpm harddrive would I notice quite a leap in speed ????

Basically I'm feeling guilty about buying a my laptop in under a year and I need someone to encourage me and convince me I'm not mad.

Cheers,

M

Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 11:03 AM

Well it depends on what you want to use it for?

Personally I went from a MacBook to a MacBook Pro. The reasons for my upgrade were the screen size, 13" vs. 15", and performance. I found that working with photoshop, aperture and deamweaver was a little frustrating with the MB.

In some sense I probably could live with the performance but then couple the small screen size and it was too much for me. I originally bought the MB to use when I go offsite and need something to hold my photos. A small light durable computer was what I needed and the MB excelled at that. When I started editing the images in PS on the MB as opposed to waiting till I got home, I found it was a little tougher.

then there's my 40 year old eyes. The larger screen was a huge improvement and less eye strain

Majoha  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2007, 11:08 AM

well my eyes are 39 years old - so the bigger screen is a big plus for me.

I do some image editing, but mostly working on docs & spread sheets, whilst emailing and surfing the web - tend to have a lot of apps open.

Do you think the MBP is as robust and well built as the MB ?

Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 11:33 AM

The MacBook's case is much more durable then the MBP's. Aluminum deforms easier and there's plenty of posts here and other Mac forums of people who've dropped their MBP and have some serious dents. Not that I plan on dropping it, but accidents to happen.

As for the quality I think its the same, I'm very happy with it and I do think all in all its a superior computer - aside from the aluminum vs. plastic.

I had a Powerbook G4 beforehand and I traveled fair amount with that, and it stood up to that type of usage. So much so, I have all of the confidence in the world the MBP can handle it too

Majoha  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2007, 11:39 AM

thanks for the help - I'm 95% sure i'm gonna order one today.

re. the case - sound like i'd better get a hard sleeve like this
Speck

Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2007, 03:08 PM

I'm thinking of buying a mb today, will imovie work good on it, with 2gb? thats all that really matters to me, imovie

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
I'm thinking of buying a mb today, will imovie work good on it, with 2gb? thats all that really matters to me, imovie
Yes, iMovie will run EXCELLENTLY with 2GB of Ram.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules