Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Connecting my Wii to my MacBook Pro

Connecting my Wii to my MacBook Pro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2007, 11:47 AM

Hello there, new MacBoy here!

What I want to do is to connect my Nintendo Wii to my MacBook Pro, so I can use my MBP's screen instead of a TV (I am not really in the position of spending money for the TV right now). Is this possible or should I begin saving money for a TV?
Who Dares, Wins!

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2007, 01:17 PM

CRT TVs are so cheap these days, look for a decent used one - either at a garage sale or at your local goodwill.

Could also keep an eye out for an older 15" monitor that accepts component video inputs - they are being regularly tossed by businesses and universities.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2007, 02:10 PM

'In theory' something like eyetv hybrid from el gato should let you do it, but I don't know if there is delay-lag since I have never used it.

Elgato Systems

I would be really curious to know how 'playable' a Wii is on a 'small' screen. About SEkker advice on getting a monitor… I am not sure about this but if any old SGI monitor came with component inputs they would be a great choice to use with the Wii, now those are really being tossed by businesses and universities… the nice thing is that if you can find one (SGI) it is gonna be easily a 21 inches Trinitron.

SebKom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2007, 02:21 PM

Well, the fact is that if I bought a TV, they would most probably ask for a TV license too.

This EyeTV costs around 160 Euro and I can already hear my wallet screaming "Noooooo!".
Who Dares, Wins!

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by SebKom View Post
This EyeTV costs around 160 Euro and I can already hear my wallet screaming "Noooooo!".
Yeah, they are expensive as hell… maybe you can find one aimed to PCs but compatible with eyetv, there is a list here:

Elgato Systems

But again, I don't know how good are they gonna be aimed to play the Wii… I used to play a GAMECUBE with a Power Mac G4 via a AlchemyTV PCI card and it was playable.

Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2007, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by SebKom View Post
Well, the fact is that if I bought a TV, they would most probably ask for a TV license too.

Anything capable of receiving or recording a TV signal requires a TV license including video capture peripherals.

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2007, 11:43 AM

I've never heard of a TV license, although I'm sure you could find a 27inch CRT SDTV for around $150.

Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
I've never heard of a TV license, although I'm sure you could find a 27inch CRT SDTV for around $150.
If you've never heard of a TV license, then you've clearly never lived in Britain...
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2007, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by davidflas View Post
If you've never heard of a TV license, then you've clearly never lived in Britain...
You are right, I haven't lived in Britain.

Sep 17, 2007, 03:00 PM

You have to have a license to own a television?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
You have to have a license to own a television?

Steve
I checked it out on wikipedia, it seems as though the licenses pay for public TV stations. Quite a smart idea in my opinion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules