Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Clamshell iBook - won't boot off anything but HDD

Clamshell iBook - won't boot off anything but HDD
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2007, 12:40 AM

I've obtained an original Tangerine clamshell iBook. This is the 300Mhz model with only 32MB built-in RAM. I also have the original restore CDs that came with this particular iBook. OS 9.2 is installed.

When I boot off either CD - one is labeled "Software Restore" and the other is "Software Install", the OS 8.6 splash screen comes up, says it's loading, and gets as far as loading the gray menu bar at the top of the screen before the whole thing just shuts off. I've tried resetting the PRAM, removing the battery (it's completely dead), taking out the extra 256MB DIMM that was installed, and resetting the NVRAM from within the Open Firmware interface. Nothing works.

I can't boot at all from my OS X 10.3 retail CDs, and I'm still hunting for one of my PPC-comaptible Linux live CDs to try that route.

What's going on here? This isn't like my other clamshell - it's got an original CD-ROM in it that, for all intents and purposes, works just fine. It sees the OS X CD in the boot loader (Option+Boot), but when I click the icon and then hit the button to load from the CD, the screen flashes and takes me back to the boot loader.

I'd really like to be able to actually install an OS on this thing, since I'm planning on selling it and need to format the drive before doing so.

Help is appreciated; thanks in advance.

Senior User
Sep 19, 2007, 12:49 AM

I had an original iMac that had the same problem...sort of. it wouldn't boot from the panther install discs until i installed another 128mb of RAM.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 09:49 AM

I'll give that a shot - but why wouldn't the original OS 8 CDs work? This is a little frustrating, since I'd really like to wipe this machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules