Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How do I Find Out My Macbook Generation?

How do I Find Out My Macbook Generation?
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2007, 06:44 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my 2Ghz core 2 duo, 1gb RAM macbook with a 7,200/16 cache hard disk and 1x 2GB ram stick to total 2.5GB ram.

The thing is, as I'm sure most of you know, due to a limitation of the intel chipset the macbook can only address so much memory. A max of 2GB for generation 1 and 2 and just over 3gb for generation 3. (4th gen can see at least 4GB - probably more when / if largr sticks are released).

I've looked in system profiler but can't find anything to refernce what I'm after - does anyone know?

What I need to find is the product number as listed in the quote below
13-inch MacBook models by generations:

1st Generation
MacBook Intel Core Duo
1.83GHz MA254LL/A, 2GHz MA255LL/A, 2GHz MA472LL/A

2nd Generation
MacBook (Late 2006) Intel Core 2 Duo
1.83GHz MA699LL/A, 2.0GHz MA700LL/A, 2.0GHz MA701LL/A

3rd Generation
MacBook (Mid 2007) Intel Core 2 Duo
2.0GHz MB061LL/A, 2.16GHz MB062LL/A, 2.16GHz MB063LL/A
Can anyone help?
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2007, 07:07 PM

you should be able to figure it out from here --

Apple MacBook Specs @ EveryMac.com

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2007, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. I ca only gleam from that link that it could be either a 2nd or 3rd generation which leaves me none the wiser
Please note that this model effectively is identical to the MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 13-Inch (White - Late 2006) (MA700LL/A) from the previous series, but the "Late 2007" model (MB061LL/A) has 802.11n "activated" by default without a firmware update and a DVD/CD-RW "Combo" drive instead of the more capable DVD-R/CD-RW "SuperDrive". It costs US$200 less (US$1099 instead of US$1299).
Surely there must be some reference to this in software?

Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2007, 08:16 PM

i'm sure there is a way by looking at various device ids that were present in one version and not the other, but i don't know.

regardless, it looks like any white macbook 2.0Ghz core2duo non-santa rosa model has been able to unofficially support 3GB. the memory type and speeds should be identical. go for it.

Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2007, 09:49 PM

Any Core Duo Intel Mac supports 2GB RAM (2x1 or 1x2).
Any Core 2 Duo Intel Mac supports 3GB RAM (2+1 or 2x2).
Core 2 Duo MacBooks purchased after November 1, 2007 (assuming you didn't buy the older model on closeout) support 4GB RAM (2x2).

Here's the 2GB module you need for your MacBook upgrade.

Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2007, 12:24 PM

Woo Hoo

Thanks for the advice guys :-)

£36 for a 2GB stick of Kingston Value RAM and my macbook feels a lot snappier. It did take an age to boot up I guess the system had to do some memory checks when it realised the amount of RAM had changed.

Things don't seem to much more snappy but there is no paging at all so I'm sure I'll really notice the difference in a few days with more use.

Now that I have established this works and os X can see 2.5GB RAM, it's now time to add my new 5,400rpm 200GB hard disk

Thanks again :-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules