Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > g4 powerbook and lcd tv

g4 powerbook and lcd tv
Jan 7, 2008, 05:38 PM

I've exhausted my search for how to connect my powerbook to a 32" lcd flatscreen and have it look good. Perhaps some of your boolean search skills are better than mine. Right now I have an s-video cable running from my 1.67Ghz. powerbook g4 10.4 to an s-video input on my tv (which has most of the other standard ports like hdmi, component, composite, and so on). I go to system preferences, click on displays, click detect displays, choose the arrangement tab, then check the box that says mirror displays. What I get on the tv screen is an out of proportion image of my computer screen. Now this set up works decent for watching movies on my computer through the tv. What I want is to use my tv as a computer monitor. I want the same clarity I have on my computer screen. I have seen this done, albeit with much better equipment than I'm currently using. If the clarity I want is dependent on my computer or tv, well oh well then, but if it's something simple like a different cable then that would be pretty awesome. Thanks in advance for your help.

Moderator Emeritus
Jan 7, 2008, 05:47 PM

AFAIK you can't mirror your PowerBook and TV and expect both to be clear. The reason for this is that both the PowerBook and the TV use different resolutions.

Your best option is to uncheck mirror displays, set the TV to its native resolution, I *think* that might be 1336x768 and then using the arrangement tab, drag the menu bar over to the TV.
( Last edited by seanc; Jan 7, 2008 at 06:17 PM. )

Jan 7, 2008, 05:56 PM

Yes. Mirroring does just that: it mirrors the display and its resolution, stretching (and distorting) as necessary. Use extended desktop (as mentioned) or closed-lid mode to get higher, undistorted resolutions on the external display. If it has HDMI (as you say it does) or DVI, use those inputs for better quality (DVI to HDMI adaptor necessary for HDMI).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2008, 10:35 PM

Yah, go with an HDMI or DVI connection. S-Video will never give you a really clear picture, though it sounds like you could do a bit better than you currently are.

Jan 8, 2008, 04:30 PM

excellent, thanks for the help. I'll try out your suggestions

Forum Links
Forum Rules