Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help! I Need a Firewire 400 to USB 2.0 convert to buy Macbook Air!

Help! I Need a Firewire 400 to USB 2.0 convert to buy Macbook Air!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 12:17 AM

I have a Macbook Pro right now. I also have an Apogee Duet Firewire Audio Interface that draws all of it's power from the firewire cable and transfers all of it's data this way! I don't want to get rid of it.

So, if I am able to get the Air, I'll need to get a firewire 400 to USB 2.0 converter of some kind. I can't seem to find anything except some foreign product selling for $0.01 on eBay which I have no faith in.

Does anyone have any experience here? Does anyone know of a product, or better yet, has anyone tried such a product? Something like a hub that I could plug in would seem ideal, so I could be assured that proper power is delivered. I can't seem to find anything on the Google!

Thanks!

Senior User
Jan 18, 2008, 08:01 AM

You're out of luck, unfortunately.

Administrator
Jan 18, 2008, 08:20 AM

The MBA is a machine that requires compromises. If you want the newest and coolest, you'll have to compromise somewhere-like your audio gadget. Note that the MBA is not a "powerhouse" computer, in spite of the fact that it's great and more than adequate for most functions, so depending on it as your "only" computer could be quite limiting.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 08:43 AM

Your SOL, as ghporter stated that lack of certain ports were necessary to keep the MBA's size and weight as small as possible.

Jan 18, 2008, 01:34 PM

Firewire cannot be "converted" into USB. They're two completely different standards. It sounds like the MBA is not for you.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 02:50 PM

Thanks. That's what I thought. The power would be sufficient for my purposes at 1.8Ghz with 2GB RAM. I have been dreaming of a more slim Apple laptop since we hit 1" with the TiBook 7 years ago. But getting rid of firewire? Seriously Apple, what are you thinking? This has been a staple on every mac since CRT iMacs. This is depressing.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 03:16 PM

It's not the end of the world - the kind of person who wants the air probably doesn't have a lot of fw devices anyway.

Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 03:23 PM

Apparently this one does. But yeah, the machine is very specific in what it does and does not do, and that's just the kind of beast it is.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
It's not the end of the world - the kind of person who wants the air probably doesn't have a lot of fw devices anyway.
Ironically, the Air is probably suited to those who people who already have a Firewire device... which is another Mac. You can't target mode to that Mac with the Air.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 03:32 PM

Well, there are USB 2.0 audio interfaces out there, but none as integrated into OS X as the Duet. The Air is a sexy beast, that's for sure. Who knows, I may just have to get a mini for as a little network box and for the firewire, and an Air. Ideally it would be one machine only (the Air) or if I have to go with two machines then obviously the Mac Pro / Air combo would be ideal but the budget is just not there. And I don't necessarily know if I want two machines.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 03:44 PM

Just stick with your MacBook Pro.

Or if you want something smaller, just get a MacBook.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2008, 12:18 PM

Not smaller. More thin.

But in the meantime I have a 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM, so I am a happy guy. No complaints. But the minute I see one, I know I am going to want it. We have been stuck at 1" thick since the original Titanium powerbook was launched 7 years ago. And as each year has gone by I have been waiting, and I have grown more convinced that there will be a significant redesign. 7 years is a long time to want a redesign, something fresh (more than titanium to aluminum).

I will just be patient, like I said I am content.

Forum Links
Forum Rules