Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Installing a SSD in a powerbook g4 12"

Installing a SSD in a powerbook g4 12"
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2008, 12:31 AM

Any ideas or takers on replacing the harddrive in a powerbook 12 g4 1.0Ghz for a solid state drive... 32gb would be sufficient... lokking to increase battery life and response time out of it... the idea is sound but I think i would need a converter for a parallel ssd to convert it to an IDE connection??? so if anyone knows how or has possibly done it or solid ideas that would be awesome... want to do this within the next few weeks...

Feb 5, 2008, 02:04 AM

If it's a 2.5" drive at 9.5mm tall and has a parallel ATA interface (some of the drives at Newegg might fit the bill), it will work. Not cheap, though.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2008, 09:33 AM

It ought to be very easy, as Steve said. If you'd like to post a link to the specific drive you are looking at, we'll let you know for sure.

Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2008, 04:48 PM

Replacing the 4200 rpm HD with a 7200 rpm sounds like a better use of $. Any money left over would go towards buying a new battery.

However: If money's no object, go for it!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2008, 11:51 PM

its not that money is no object but I found a few new ideas... IDE compact flash converter connected that can house 2 compact flash cards ... So I found two 16GB Transcend cards at reasonalble rate n I would install leopard and a few apps on one and the rest of the data on the other.. They are x266 which is like 40mbs read n write ??? They reviews said u can boot from them so I'm hoping for this.. My goal here is to revamp the PowerBook 12" 1Ghz n extend battery life... Already have a new battery n now want quieter HD, less heat n faster.. Any responses or additional ideas?? Please

Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2008, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by jmalcolmspe View Post
its not that money is no object but I found a few new ideas... IDE compact flash converter connected that can house 2 compact flash cards ... So I found two 16GB Transcend cards at reasonalble rate n I would install leopard and a few apps on one and the rest of the data on the other.. They are x266 which is like 40mbs read n write ??? They reviews said u can boot from them so I'm hoping for this.. My goal here is to revamp the PowerBook 12" 1Ghz n extend battery life... Already have a new battery n now want quieter HD, less heat n faster.. Any responses or additional ideas?? Please
As I pointed out in your other thread, cheap "266x" CF cards are not going to deliver 40MBps sustained; more like single digits.

Feb 6, 2008, 06:55 AM

Don't, it'll be a waste of money! If you were to buy a fast SSD, you could almost afford a new MacBook (which would blow your PowerBook G4 out of the water).

Get a new 2.5" harddrive instead: cheaper, larger storage space and a suitable upgrade for your PowerBook. I have replaced my 100 GB 7.2k drive with a 250 GB drive, I couldn't be happier
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Senior User
Feb 6, 2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by jmalcolmspe View Post
If you want to minimize heat, and increase battery life, you'd be better off not installing Leopard (in fact downgrading to Panther will help substantially).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2008, 02:43 PM

Total waste of money and effort.

Either buy a new battery, or else just buy a new MacBook.

Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2008, 03:27 PM

Here's the ARS review of the MBA with the SSD drive, and which noticed no substantial battery savings. Preliminary reports, of course, maybe the later-considered-consensus will be better:

No spin: Ars reviews the MacBook Air with solid state drive: Page 1

"The $1,300 question is whether the SSD is worth the extra cash. The answer seems to be no. I experienced only moderate gains in battery life and not very noticeable speed differences. The one major benefit of the SSD model is that it doesn't cause the same types of slowdowns as the HDD model during times of high disk activity, and that's certainly a huge plus. Speedy read times are great, too, but they are balanced out by pokey write times."

It should be noted that the above comment was from only 2 discharge cycles, one of which was substantially less than the first (and much better) battery test. So, let the guessing-games commence.

Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Here's the ARS review of the MBA with the SSD drive, and which noticed no substantial battery savings.
The MBA non-SSD option is also a slow 1.8" single platter disk, which consumes a lot less power than a faster 2.5" multi platter disk.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2008, 10:31 AM

Hi All,

Does anyone think that this drive will work in the PowerBook 12" G4?

Thanks

Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by erranttraveler View Post
Does anyone think that this drive will work in the PowerBook 12" G4?
Nope.

It's a SATA SSD. The PB has a PATA HDD. Wrong interface.

Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2008, 12:20 PM

Exactly, SATA isn't compatible with any Powerbooks' internal interface.

I put a 250 GB 5400 rpm WD HD (IDE/PATA) into my 12" 1.33 PB. That was a great luxury, faster as well as an incredibly expansive amount of space. Can be found for $77 (zipzoomfly) and that's definitely the way I would go. There's a lot of effort involved in opening the 12" and it's best to make it worth your while.

It does run marginally hotter, namely making the fans come on in a hot summer (especially with flash.) I got a laptop cooler which was great in cooling the aluminum skin (I got one with the fans blowing onto the bottom-much more efficient cooling--rather than one that sucks the air away from the bottom, expelling the air to the side which is much, much less efficient (I had a Targus one that I threw away.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules