Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro not booting up, circle spins and spins

Macbook Pro not booting up, circle spins and spins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2008, 11:11 AM

My Macbook Pro is not booting up. It gets to the Apple logo screen and that circle thing below it spins and spins and spins forevermore... nothing else happens. It never gets past the logo and the eternally spinning circle.

What does this mean?

Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 11:49 AM

Try these things:
• boot in safe mode (hold shift during boot)
• boot in single-user mode (hold opt-s during boot)

See how far you get. Note any error messages.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2008, 02:30 PM

Thank you, Simon, but nothing. Not able to boot in safe or single-user -- just the Apple logo with the eternally spinning circle... Other things to try?

Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 03:18 PM

Are you using an external display? I have the same problem, but it boots just fine if I disconnect my Apple display first. Then I put the computer to sleep, connect the display, and it will wake up correctly on the display.

Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 03:11 AM

Maybe you don't have a bootable partition (anymore). Can you boot from the install DVD? Insert it, hold c, and boot. How far do you get?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2008, 07:24 AM

I have mac g 4 compter...but my wife has chenged the user name and passward..but now she is not remember that...how to remove this user name and passward..pls send me a mail thanks

Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2008, 09:08 AM

Crayolla I don't have a Mac but i am planning on getting one soon but I have had the same type of problem on my PC. What I did was shut it down and throw it down on my couch or my bed multiple times and then I left it for about one hour and turned it on and it worked again (i dont know why). Try it, it wont brake or do any damage but it's worth a shot if you dont have any other ideas.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2008, 04:45 PM

My problem is somewhat similar to crayolla's - just today my 4 year old Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz started repeatedly kernal panicing. I tried Disk Utility, it said the disk needed repair. I inserted a Panther 10.3 install disc and restarted but Disk Utility didn't find anything to repair. When i restarted to get out of the Mac OS X installer, the Powerbook won't successfully restart. The Powerbook gets thru the white screen with gray apple logo and spinner, thru the "Starting Mac OS X" screen with the progress bar, and then stalls at a blue screen with a cursor in the upper left corner, but the menubar and desktop icons never appear. If I hold the "c" key down at boot, the Powerbook stalls at the white screen with gray apple logo, but no spinning turbine thingy ever appears.

I've tried resetting the PMU and removing alternate RAM sticks (it had the original factory 256MB and an OWC 1GB stick) with no luck.

I'm not desperate enough to try applesbiggestfan's trick yet, but alternate suggestions would be welcomed.

One slight odd thing

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2008, 04:51 PM

Oops forgot to complete my message - One slight odd thing I noticed, if I restart without the "c" key, the gray apple logo at the white startup screen has a thin gray line over it. If I restart with the "c" key down, the gray apple logo appears, and then after a few seconds jumps to the right a fraction of an inch, then two gray dashes appear at about 8- and 11-o'clock around the logo. Maybe some kind of video card failure?

Forum Links
Forum Rules