Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > timing of new MacBook purchase

timing of new MacBook purchase
Thread Tools
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: suburban Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 24, 2008, 08:23 AM
 
I'm in the market for a new MacBook, to replace my nearly 5 1/20-year-old original 12-inch aluminum PB. It's simply getting long in the tooth and is slow-w-w-w-w-, especially compared to my alum. iMac. I'm mulling my options -- I could get a refurb, plus a free printer. Then I think it might be better to go new and get a free iPod (and maybe a printer, too, though I really don't need another, and my daughter just got one with her MacBook for college. We got a free iPod there, too.) I could always sell one of the iPods, as everyone in my family, except me, has gotten new ones in the past year.

Or, I could wait for the rumored new ones. Obviously, price would be a premium there (or most likely). But if it's a wildly new machine, I'm not sure I'd want to go first generation. (Of course, I have a first gen 12-inch PB and a first-gen aluminum iMac!).

I don't have to have one immediately and can wait. I'm just trying to figure out where I get the most for my money and, given that I obviously don't replace machines very often, where I'd be happiest in terms of performance.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 24, 2008, 11:45 AM
 
Personally, I'd wait a few months in anticipation of a new design. If it comes out, you'll have the option of getting either the new machine, or a great deal on a refurb. If it turns out that the rumors were unsubstantiated (very unlikely at this point, but still possible), then you're no worse for the waiting.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 24, 2008, 12:23 PM
 
What Theo said.

-Allen Wicks
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 24, 2008, 12:36 PM
 
Intel just released the chips/chipsets for a new MacBook Pro, so I'd expect Apple to upgrade the MBP in a month or so. The chips/chipsets for a new MacBook are coming in a month or two, and will probably have a similar lag time of a month or so.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Charleston, SC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 24, 2008, 12:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Personally, I'd wait a few months in anticipation of a new design. If it comes out, you'll have the option of getting either the new machine, or a great deal on a refurb. If it turns out that the rumors were unsubstantiated (very unlikely at this point, but still possible), then you're no worse for the waiting.
To echo the advice you are already getting, why not wait if this is not a purchase you need to make today? Apple generally doesn't change the price point, but rather the specs within the price structure they currently use, so that should not be an issue.

It has always been my opinion that while computers quickly become obsolete no matter when you buy them, it always feels better to purchase right after a new release than right before it!
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 24, 2008, 03:48 PM
 
Of course the latest (in the last week or so) rumors also point to a downward shift in pricepoints... $999 for the MacBook and $1799 for the MBP.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Penn's Woods
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 24, 2008, 07:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by bbales View Post
I'm just trying to figure out where I get the most for my money and, given that I obviously don't replace machines very often, where I'd be happiest in terms of performance.
Given the huge leap in performance compared to the 12" G4 PB, you would be happy with any recent model. If money is a major concern than refurb all the way. If performance is key wait another month or two and get the latest and greatest.

Buying Mac notebooks seems to be cumbersome when new ones are anticipated
( Last edited by Muffin; Jul 24, 2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Oopps)
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 25, 2008, 07:21 PM
 
Also note that Apple has advised that a new product of some sort is coming soon. Whatever it is may impact your purchase decision.

-Allen Wicks
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: AR, US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 26, 2008, 01:20 AM
 
i saw today on fox news that there is a new imac and laptop line due before the holidays. the only specific detail was a touch screen on the imac.
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 26, 2008, 02:05 AM
 
I've heard on podcasts that some big changes are coming in the end of September. I was already planning to upgrade from my gen one MacBook with my student loan money this year, so I'm going to wait a couple weeks extra for whatever is coming.

I'm hoping for an Apple netbook with full OS X, but that is pretty doubtful.
     
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 26, 2008, 12:43 PM
 
wait
Quad G5 2.5GHz 4GB/320GB/DVDR - SOLD :(
Al 24" iMac 2.4GHz 4GB/320GB/DVDR (SOLD) + 20" Dell LCD :)
Macbook 1.83GHz 2GB/60GB/Combo
Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz 8GB/128SSD/DVDR
     
bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: suburban Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 26, 2008, 03:55 PM
 
Yeah, I know I should wait -- and I will. But now that I've finally made the decision to replace my slow-w-w-w-w-w- 12-in PB, I want one now! Just like a kid...

I have a first-gen aluminum iMac, and it does feel good to get the latest and greatest -- I bought it about 2 or 3 days after they came out last August.
     
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Canada.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 27, 2008, 02:43 PM
 
I'm in the same boat. I am giving my first generation MacBook to my little sister for university, so I will be without a 'Book for maybe a month, depending when Apple plans to release the new hardware. It will be worth the wait, and thankfully I have an iMac to use while I'm without a lappy.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2013 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.7 © 2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2