Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook not charging and charger works fine..

Macbook not charging and charger works fine..
Thread Tools
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 10, 2010, 06:22 PM
 
Hey guys!! I obtained a used white Macbook Mid 07 model (C2D 2.1ghz, 160gb hdd, 1gb ram) that has a "Battery Not Charging issue"

I also have my working macbook (black). I tried swapping out the DC in board and battery connector from the black macbook to the white macbook (broken) and still the battery will not charge. Also when plugging in the charger the charger light turns green and stays LIT but it does not actually run the laptop of the charger. Basically the laptop only works fine if it has a battery in it that has charge in it.. and it will last for that cycle.

Also the battery works fine in my blackbook and chages in my working laptop without any issues and lasts a solid 3hours on a charge..

I took the broken mac completely apart and inspected and looked at the logic board for any weird marks but could not find anything. Ill post pictures of it below if it helps some of you perhaps.

Im just wondering what else it could be and what i could try to see why this laptop wont work of the charger/charge battery. Any input/advice will be greatly appreciated!
     
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cambridge, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 10, 2010, 06:31 PM
 
Intriguing.
My white 2Ghz MacBook will not charge the battery, but will run from the power adapter OR the battery. It displays a dim green light when a charger is plugged in.
The battery is fine, the same parts have been replaced that you tried.
     
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 10, 2010, 06:32 PM
 
You've eliminated the battery, the DC board, and charger. I'm afraid that the only thing left is the logic board.
     
esad_b  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 10, 2010, 06:36 PM
 
Here is some pictures..

     
esad_b  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 10, 2010, 06:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Intriguing.
My white 2Ghz MacBook will not charge the battery, but will run from the power adapter OR the battery. It displays a dim green light when a charger is plugged in.
The battery is fine, the same parts have been replaced that you tried.
I did find one spot on the bottom of the logic board that looked a bit roughed up but i highly doubt thats the issue.

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
You've eliminated the battery, the DC board, and charger. I'm afraid that the only thing left is the logic board.
Hmm.. Would it be worth replacing the logic board and selling it in order to make some money on this? The thing looks brand spanking new..

I did notice tho when taking it apart that the airport cards the 3 wires (blue, black and white) according to ifixit.com guide on the macbook were actually reversed in their picture they have from left to right black, blue, white on the macbook itself it was blue, black and white.. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it..
( Last edited by esad_b; Oct 11, 2010 at 10:43 AM. )
     
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cambridge, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 10, 2010, 06:50 PM
 
Highly doubt the airport card would affect it.

What are the part numbers on the 8 legged IC near the Magsafe input connector?
I still haven't gotten round to taking mine apart again, I must do it!
     
esad_b  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 10, 2010, 07:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Highly doubt the airport card would affect it.

What are the part numbers on the 8 legged IC near the Magsafe input connector?
I still haven't gotten round to taking mine apart again, I must do it!
8 legged per side you mean lol?? If thats the one its..
B456A-R
NELT40726W
     
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 10, 2010, 07:01 PM
 
Have you tried swapping the cable that goes from the battery to the logic board?
     
esad_b  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 10, 2010, 07:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Have you tried swapping the cable that goes from the battery to the logic board?
Thats the batter connector, no?
     
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 10, 2010, 07:04 PM
 
Ah, yes. I see you DID swap that. My bad.

Back to the logic board then.
     
esad_b  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 10, 2010, 07:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Ah, yes. I see you DID swap that. My bad.

Back to the logic board then.
LOL, its all good.

Damn those logic boards are expensive!! If it would atleast run of the damn charger it would be easier to sell that way..
     
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cambridge, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 10, 2010, 07:11 PM
 
No, 4 legs each side = 8 legged, the other one!

I had no luck googling that other part number.
     
esad_b  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 10, 2010, 07:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
no, 4 legs each side = 8 legged, the other one!

I had no luck googling that other part number.
4413a
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 11, 2010, 02:10 AM
 
Dumb question: are you using one of the newer "L"-type power supplies, or does the problem appear when using one of the older ones, as well?

Apple has just (three days ago) issued a firmware update to fix 2007/2008 MacBooks not charging properly.

I assume you've applied that as per the knowledge base instructions?
     
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cambridge, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 11, 2010, 09:07 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Dumb question: are you using one of the newer "L"-type power supplies, or does the problem appear when using one of the older ones, as well?

Apple has just (three days ago) issued a firmware update to fix 2007/2008 MacBooks not charging properly.

I assume you've applied that as per the knowledge base instructions?
No, I don't have one of these L shaped chargers, although I was curious as to whether this firmware update might somehow fix the issue.

I'll try it later, I need to charge up the battery for the MacBook before I can apply the update, don't I?
     
esad_b  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 11, 2010, 10:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Dumb question: are you using one of the newer "L"-type power supplies, or does the problem appear when using one of the older ones, as well?

Apple has just (three days ago) issued a firmware update to fix 2007/2008 MacBooks not charging properly.

I assume you've applied that as per the knowledge base instructions?
No its not one of the newer L-shaped plugs. its just those regular square looking ones.. Hmm weird.. I just installed leopard onto that macbook again as a clean install and ran the software update i didnt see that battery fix.

Happen to have a direct link to this?

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
No, I don't have one of these L shaped chargers, although I was curious as to whether this firmware update might somehow fix the issue.

I'll try it later, I need to charge up the battery for the MacBook before I can apply the update, don't I?
Nah dont think so, as long as you can power up the laptop and do a software update and have the battery in the macbook. You should be good.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 11, 2010, 11:40 AM
 
This particular fault is actually very common among the older MacBooks. I saw it countless times as an Apple tech and even now they are regular on eBay. Its often a result of a liquid spill though not always.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
esad_b  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 11, 2010, 11:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
This particular fault is actually very common among the older MacBooks. I saw it countless times as an Apple tech and even now they are regular on eBay. Its often a result of a liquid spill though not always.
So the only fix is really just putting in a new logic board?
     
esad_b  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 15, 2010, 08:56 AM
 
This is a mid 07 model with a C2D 2.1ghz.

Would a logic board from a C2D 2.4ghz Early 2008 model work in this? Anyone know?

Cause if so I might have found a logic board for a decent price.

Thanks
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 15, 2010, 09:06 AM
 
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
No its not one of the newer L-shaped plugs. its just those regular square looking ones.. Hmm weird.. I just installed leopard onto that macbook again as a clean install and ran the software update i didnt see that battery fix.

Happen to have a direct link to this?
Portables: L-shaped MagSafe power adapter does not charge computer and LED indicator light does not illuminate
     
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cambridge, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2010, 06:49 PM
 
I tried this on my MacBook, the updater told me it didn't apply.

I'll tear it down next weekend when my heater has arrived.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 26, 2010, 12:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
So the only fix is really just putting in a new logic board?
Yes, sadly.

Many MacBook logic boards are completely interchangeable. There are some very slight differences in the cable connectors I think but most of those are the same before the unibody models.
One thing that does vary is that the later units have different mounts for the logic boards, so they don't just drop straight in. I'm not sure where that line is drawn sadly.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2