Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Installing OSX On Second Internal HD

Installing OSX On Second Internal HD
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2012, 03:14 AM

Hey all;

Well, my OWC Data Doubler with 1TB WD hard drive has been successfully installed in my early 2011 MBP, to accompany the 128GB SSD I use as my boot drive. Woot!

The only concern I have is the idea of not being able to boot if my SSD craps out while I'm on the road or otherwise don't have an external DVD drive or flash drive handy. I've thought of installing a second system folder on the 1TB drive just to have something there I can boot into in a pinch. Can anyone think of any disadvantage to doing this? Would it slow down boot from my main drive any? Could I still also put a BootCamp partition on that drive?

Also, if I put a folder of system recovery tools on my second drive, what should I put in it (preferably that's free, and other than the obvious of Disk Utility)? Would stashing an ISO of Snow Leopard (my OS of choice) there be an okay idea? Presuming I boot from the 1TB, could I mount the ISO from there and try to use it to reinstall SL on my SSD, if it comes to that?

Thanks, all!

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2012, 02:28 PM

Yes, you can do that. I would partition the HD, with a 50-75G partition with the OS Doc folder and the App folder so you can work from it in case of SSD failure. This would not affect startup time from the SSD at all. And, while you are partitioning, make your Bootcamp partition. So you'd need 3 partitions.

Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2012, 02:38 PM

I have been planning on doing the exact same conversion to my early 2011 17" MBP. Any reflections you have on the process or subsequent operation would be appreciated.

TIA

-Allen

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
I have been planning on doing the exact same conversion to my early 2011 17" MBP. Any reflections you have on the process or subsequent operation would be appreciated.

TIA

-Allen
Don't do it unless you're really sure you want to. It's a real pain in the ass. I ended up stripping one of the screws that held the optical drive in place and had to drill it out with a Dremel tool. Nothing quite as nerve-wracking as holding a drill to the internal components of your $1200 MacBook Pro.

That said, Knightwise has a full-length video walkthrough on his website: KWTV 0031 : “Mutate your Macbook.” | Knightwise.com Set up a second computer next to your operating table, and keep the video open during the transplant. I'd even keep my cell phone there, and take pictures so you can remember where you took every little screw and other piece out of. That way, you can put them back in right, and the right way around.

In the end, I'm happy with the mod. I just know I wouldn't want to do the surgery more than once.

Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2012, 07:00 PM

Thanks. My MBP is going back to Apple for a hinge repair (warranty full replacement of the display) so after that I will do it, or pay OWC to do it for me.

-Allen

Forum Links
Forum Rules