Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Graphics card in macbook pro 2012 really slow? AMD HD 6759M?

Graphics card in macbook pro 2012 really slow? AMD HD 6759M?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2012, 07:24 AM

Hi everybody,
I have a macbook pro with the following specs:

MacBook Pro
15-inch, Early 2011
Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50d)

I have a windows partition (Windows 7 64bit) and if I run need for speed shift on minimum settings, it lags really bad. Even on all my other ifs games. Would the GPU be faulty?
( Last edited by AtomicGTR; Apr 20, 2012 at 08:03 AM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2012, 08:20 AM

Are you using boot camp? (Using a VM will make the GPU slow).

Are the graphics/bootcamp drivers installed?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2012, 11:06 AM

I have the identical MBP except 17" size and with 8 GB RAM and SSD on board. 4 GB RAM may or may not be adequate. When RAM was expensive designers and users both learned to minimize RAM but with RAM cheap it is illogical to work to minimal RAM amounts.

You can evaluate whether or not you have adequate RAM by looking at the Page Outs number under System Memory on the Activity Monitor app before starting a typical work session; recheck after working and if the page outs change (manual calculation of ending page outs number minus starting page outs number) is not zero your workflow is RAM-starved. Ignore page ins, the pie charts and other info in Activity Monitor.

If your test shows that page outs increase at all during operation it is affecting performance. You can

• add RAM as feasible

• restart with some frequency if you suspect memory leaks (common especially with less-than-top-quality applications)

• and/or simply try to run only one app at a time, for sure diligently closing unneeded apps like browsers

HTH

-Allen

Senior User
Apr 23, 2012, 12:27 PM

I had a 15" mid-2012 MBP until a couple of months ago. It was absolutely horrible playing StarCraft II with it. When using the dedicated graphics card, it should have been able to run the game on High settings. In practice, however, it could barely manage Medium without lagging horribly.

This was a fully upgraded, top-of-the-line machine with 8GB of RAM. Ultimately, I got rid of it and went with a 12" MBP. Believe it or not, even though this machine only has the integrate Intel HD 3000 card, it play SC II much better than the 15" with the dedicated ATI.

So if you ask me, I definitely think there's an issue with that card or Apple's drivers for it.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

Forum Links
Forum Rules