Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any signs of Retina display MacBook Air 13"?

Any signs of Retina display MacBook Air 13"?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2012, 09:46 PM

Hi guys,

New to this forum & I thought I would post this questions out to the veteran here.

Been using MBA 13" for close to a year now & with the latest intro of MBP 13" Retina screen w/o optical drive, that made both MBA 13" & MBP 13" slightly redundant, don't you guys think so?

Anyway, it would be interesting to see what Apple has got in store for the upcoming MBA 13" refresh.

P
Nov 11, 2012, 07:18 AM

What will likely happen is that the current (non-retina) MBP 13" will be EOLed and the price of the Retina 13" MBP dropped to that price as soon as supplies of Retina displays loosen up enough to make that price drop feasible.

There is no MBA update expected any time soon. The next likely update is after Intel releases the low-power Haswell chips (4th gen Core) and that likely won't happen until late spring, if Intel follows its usual schedule.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Nov 11, 2012, 11:24 PM

No, that will definitely take some time: the Retina MacBook Pro is significantly more expensive (for a good reason) and the GPU built into it is just fast enough to drive the retina display. So there are three obstacles which will remain applicable for the next two, three years:
(1) Price and volume.
(2) Battery life. There is a good reason the retina MacBook Pro is heavier.

And for a shorter period of time also
(3) GPU and CPU power, especially if you are looking into low-power parts.

For these reasons, I don't expect MacBook Airs with retina displays for the next few years.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules