Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > airport card or motherboard damaged or not?

airport card or motherboard damaged or not?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2013, 05:10 PM

hello
first time here ,so please be patient with me.

i have replaced the display to my macbook aluminium unibody late 2008
and i think that i have plugged the airport card cable the wrong way ,after this i have powered on the macbook
since then i do not have wifi(wifi card not installed)
can someone help me with a motherboard diagram or tell me if its the motherboard or the airport card damaged?????
now the cable is installed the right way
bluetooth and camera are functional
i have fresh installed snow leopard and mountain lion
and same message "wifi card not installed"

please help

thanks

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2013, 08:19 PM

You need to remove the card from the old display and install it in the new one.

Detailed instructions are here:

Installing MacBook Unibody Model A1278 AirPort Card - iFixit

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2013, 12:19 PM

i have changed the old and the new and a few other working airport cards .
none working on my mac
i think that something has burned on the motherboard when i have plug in the cable the wrong way
I NEED THE CIRCUIT DIAGRAM FOR THE MACBOOK UNIBODY LATE 2008 SO I CAN SEE WHAT IS BURNED ON THE MOBO
THANKS

Mar 11, 2013, 06:08 PM

I can tell you right now that the only way you'll see such a diagram is if you know somebody who works at Apple who really, really wants to lose their job.

Your only choice to to replace the motherboard.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2013, 11:18 AM

You know, it's been a little while since I replaced one of these cards, but I don't think accidentally reversing the cable should cause damage to the motherboard. It's way more likely that you damaged the connector on the cable when you attached it incorrectly (particularly if any sort of force was required when you installed it upside down).

Also, make sure that the display cable is connected to the motherboard properly - that is the connection for Airport as well as the display, so if it's even slightly angled or anything, you might not get a valid connection.

Does Bluetooth work? The Bluetooth adapter is integrated in with the Airport card, so if it's working your problem might be something else.

If I were you, I would try a different Airport cable before spending the money on a replacement logic board. Of course, you'll have to disassemble the entire sealed display to do so. With a lot of patience you can do it, but if you're concerned, you can always just use a USB wireless adapter (they make super tiny ones now that you can leave plugged in all the time, too!).

Can you post some pics of the internals of your machine? Particularly the area around the display cable on the motherboard and the cable connector that attaches to the Airport card.

Also, some software tricks to try:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/6790644#6790644

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17678448#17678448

Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2013, 12:53 PM

It's rubbish I know, but wiring the airport card on one of these MacBook Pros, will blow the logic board.

I'd say this is what has happened to yours.

Sorry

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2013, 09:00 AM

Doc is right. Its one of the dumbest pieces of design I've ever seen from Apple, but the board is dead. You might even be able to locate the small surface component that has burned out. Its not far from the display connector IIRC.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2013, 01:01 PM

I completely forgot about that - I stand corrected.

That's freaking ridiculous.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2013, 06:42 AM

I watched one burn out once. Lucky for me it was a warranty job.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules