Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Loose hinge and total freeze

Macbook Loose hinge and total freeze
Senior User
Jul 20, 2013, 05:46 PM

My Macbook (shared several users with separate logins) has a loose hinge which is evidenced by a few degrees of looseness when adjusting the cover

if I adjust position in the chair and the screen/cover moves the machine goes into

1) total freeze (6/10 times) (i.e. no keyboard control and cursor freezes in place, requiring 10 second hold power button shutdown (not possible to force quit anything, or use terminal to sudo shutdown -h now or any other technique)

or, if I'm luckier (2/10 times) it just result in
2) loss of internet connection, requiring restart to regain internet

the other 2/10 times nothing goes wrong.

any idea what the problem may be?...and more importantly what it might cost to fix, as I am on a tight budget and need to upgrade/replace computers for 3 people.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2013, 07:15 PM

It's likely that the cabling running through the hinge assembly from the motherboard to the display has gotten crimped or damaged. If the signal from the display or wireless antenna gets corrupted from a physically mangled connection, it's not surprising the OS ends up shitting itself trying to recover.

If it's under warranty, take it to your closest Apple Store. If it's NOT under warranty and there's no liquid damage, repairing it will cost, at most, $300 (2010 pricing, don't quote me on that now).

Alternatively you can crack open the case and take a look at the cabling...it might just need a little adjusting.

vsurfer  (op)
Senior User
Jul 20, 2013, 11:51 PM

Thanks much,
I'm seeing other reports that this is a weakness when it comes to wiring getting damaged.

Fingers crossed it's not an expensive repair. Will see if I can take on myself, first, but looks a little dodgy for an amateur.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2013, 07:22 AM

Which MacBook is it?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules