Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > spilled water in it

spilled water in it
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2002, 08:20 PM

Looking at an ibook that the owner spilled water in, nothing working now. how difficult would this be to repair/replace damaged parts? What would need to be replaced? Should I even bother?

Senior User
Jul 21, 2002, 08:47 PM

may be a bit tough if the machine was running and not immediately shut off. I think you would be better off avoiding this one, although Apple may have a standard repair fee to fix the machine, check with them.

If you turn a machine off immediately after a spill and let them dry for a few days, you will usually be safe.

I know this from the 1 iPaq , 2 cell phone, and 1 beeper I have dunked in the toilet since 1996. No laptop spillage yet thank goodness.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2002, 08:55 PM

Don't forget to take out the batteries if there's water on em and if you're gonna leave it out to dry.

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

Senior User
Jul 23, 2002, 08:37 AM

My iBook once had the luck of having a share of my breakfast cereal. I turned it off, removed the battery and put it upside down on a towel to let the milk drop out. When I turned it on then, the X key refused to work. I got it back running by taking the keyboard completely apart and removing the remains of milk inside between the foils under the X key. That's not for the faint-hearted, however.

Stink different.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2002, 03:24 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by kanw728:
<strong>Looking at an ibook that the owner spilled water in, nothing working now. how difficult would this be to repair/replace damaged parts? What would need to be replaced? Should I even bother?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Alright, this happened to me. I had to send it into Apple - the water got to the motherboard and ****ed something up before i had a chance to turn it over and let it dry. Or it could have been the hot air I was pushing into it through a hair dryer. Bad call. Either way, Apple will fix it if you send it in for a n out of warranty repair - bad news is that it costs almost $600.

Forum Links
Forum Rules