Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just what does Apple Care cover?

Just what does Apple Care cover?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2001, 11:49 AM

I hear a lot of people saying Apple Care coverage is the way to go if you own a portable. I didn't buy it with my Dual USB iBook. I hear that you could buy it after the fact.

My question is, what exactly does Apple cover when they say:
"Three years of Apple-certified repairs, both parts and labor (extended two years from the one-year limited warranty included with your system purchase) "

First of all, it's not 3 years of coverage, it's 2 years added on to the 1 year of coverage I've already paid for. (Misleading) Secondly, I hear stories that the plastic cases are not covered.

That added on top of sometimes unhelpful service techs makes me wonder what the value is.

Senior User
Dec 12, 2001, 01:12 PM

If you drop it the Mac is not covered.

Iguana: The other green meat.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2001, 02:07 PM

Yeah, and certain things are not protected due to wear and tear like keys on the keyboard.

-Q-
Dec 12, 2001, 02:10 PM

You may be better off with laptop insurance (try Safeware for some rates). The insurance will cover most anything that happens to the laptop (with the exception of manufaturer defects, which is what AppleCare covers).

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2001, 12:02 AM

AppleCare covers mechanical defects. If your hard drive goes to lunch and doesn't come back, it's replaced. If your screen pixels take a potty break and don't come back, it's replaced. It also gives you access to a web site for AppleCare customers only, which has support options. It gives you a copy of Tech Tool Lite, and it extends the preloaded software support from 90 days to three years. Considering that notebooks are a little more sensitive and subject to external forces, AppleCare makes lots of sense.

As to Safeware, it's insurance that covers stuff like coffee spills and theft. According to their site, it doesn't cover:

Losses caused by or resulting from: Equipment rented or leased to others; Equipment held for sale or lease; Depreciation; Insects, vermin, corrosion, or rust; Wear and tear; gradual deterioration, mechanical breakdown;

IMHO, if it doesn't cover mechanical breakdown, it's a waste of money. Read the FAQ's on their site carefully. I find it interesting that they don't give real specific information on their site, and that they buried the Wear and tear; gradual deterioration, mechanical breakdown stuff in the middle of a FAQ.

It doesn't cover damage caused by dropping the computer because that's not a mechanical defect.

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: KarlG ]
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2001, 01:49 PM

"As to Safeware, it's insurance that covers stuff like coffee spills and theft."

That's more likely what would happen to a laptop. If someone spills a coke on your laptop, Apple will not repair it under AppleCare. Then your out the cost of the repair PLUS the price of AppleCare.

"IMHO, if it doesn't cover mechanical breakdown, it's a waste of money."

Guess we're of differing opinions here. I'd rather be covered for the daily accidents that might happen. If only there was a combination of coverage that didn't cost as much as buying both policies.

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2001, 02:04 PM

I always wait before buying AppleCare.

I juge by my Mac's performance if i need it or not between the time of purchase and the end of the year.

Like now I have a Cube, a DP450 and an Ibook600.

I'm gonna get it for sure for the Cube. It's a first and only edition of a Mac. And, we've seen everywhere how it can "easely" go wrong.

I'll get it also for the DP450 G4, since I have problems with it and already sent it in for repair.

As for the iBook. It's too soon to decide. I'll evaluate...

For your AppleCare questions. It covers everything that could go wrong to your Mac without you being responsable. It's ok with me that if I drop my iBook, that Apple won't pay for it.

Senior User
Dec 14, 2001, 11:06 AM

The tech told me buying it for my iBook will also cover my Airport for the 3-year period. He said if it fails, they will replace it, no questions asked.

Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2001, 07:56 PM

On all the laptops I have bought (4 total) I have always gotten 3 year warranties. On every single on of my machines I've had to use the warranty, too. I've had two hard drives go bad, one screen, and a power adapter.

I bought the Applecare with my iBook 600 because I like having the peace of mind and if something does happen, like the hard drive goes bad or the DVD quits, I won't have to worry about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules