Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Noise from powerbook serious?

Noise from powerbook serious?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2000, 05:49 PM

Hello,

My mac powerbook 3400c is making noise. It's coming from the lower left part of the keyboard.

There are two sounds. In the background, it sounds like the hum of a motor. The louder sound also sounds like a motor that's operating faster than it sould, that seems to accelerate. It doesn't sound good at all, and its never done this before.

Is this OK? Thanks, Coupchoos

Davidarm
Nov 18, 2000, 06:00 PM

First, back up your hard drive immediately. I don't think the 3400 has a fan so i'm guessing the noise you hear is the HD going bad. If you're able, swap it out with a known good HD and see if the noise goes away. Otherwise, you should get it to an Apple repair shop.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2000, 06:37 PM

The 3400c does have a fan... It's located at the front near the lid latch and trackpad. It also sits just to the right of the hard drive which is mounted in the extreme lower left under the left had palm rest. The sounds you are hearing could be one of two things... Either the fan is kicking in or your hard drive is generating these noises. In the previous reply, it was suggested that you back up your hard drive right away; I would not dispute this at all. Start looking for a new hard drive soon... If it is your hard drive, it may function fine for many more months or never fail at all, but to be on the safe side, start looking for a new one... Large capacity drives are relatively inexpensive now so... Better safe than sorry 8^)

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2000, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the info, I will follow the suggestions, cc

Forum Links
Forum Rules