Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Race: The College Kids

Race: The College Kids
Thread Tools
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: College Park, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 11, 2004, 12:16 AM
 
This is for all of you in college, whether full or part time.
Let's show those old timers what power we have.

Please post your fah username in your post.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chico, CA and Carlsbad, CA.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 12, 2004, 05:25 PM
 
Originally posted by Scotttheking:
This is for all of you in college, whether full or part time.
Let's show those old timers what power we have.

Please post your fah username in your post.
My Folding@home username is apitheman

What team number should I enter in the folding client?

edit: I re-read the first post... Team 16
( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Jan 12, 2004 at 05:31 PM. )
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Minnesota
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 12, 2004, 05:27 PM
 
Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
What team number should I enter in the folding client?
I may be helping the enemy... but 16!

Go Corporate America!
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chico, CA and Carlsbad, CA.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 12, 2004, 05:39 PM
 
Originally posted by Turias:
I may be helping the enemy... but 16!

Go Corporate America!
haha thanks.

Hmmm, running two copies doesn't seem to work on this dual G5.. but I guess it only seems like it's going to not work... but looking at top I have two FahCores running at 90% or so. Sweet.

Long live College Kids! I, by the way, represent California State University, Chico.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Minnesota
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 12, 2004, 05:43 PM
 
Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
haha thanks.

Hmmm, running two copies doesn't seem to work on this dual G5.. but I guess it only seems like it's going to not work... but looking at top I have two FahCores running at 90% or so. Sweet.
It will work if you put each in a separate folder and run them with -local as follows from the commandline:

/usr/bin/nohup /Applications/fah/fah4 -local -advmethods -forceasm &
/usr/bin/nohup /Applications/fah2/fah4 -local -advmethods -forceasm &

nohup runs them so that even if you quit the terminal, fah will continue to run.
forceasm and advmethods force some nice optimizations.
local makes each copy run locally in its own folder. This allows 2 copies to be run simultaneously on a dual processor machine.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chico, CA and Carlsbad, CA.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 12, 2004, 06:15 PM
 
Originally posted by Turias:
It will work if you put each in a separate folder and run them with -local as follows from the commandline:

/usr/bin/nohup /Applications/fah/fah4 -local -advmethods -forceasm &
/usr/bin/nohup /Applications/fah2/fah4 -local -advmethods -forceasm &

nohup runs them so that even if you quit the terminal, fah will continue to run.
forceasm and advmethods force some nice optimizations.
local makes each copy run locally in its own folder. This allows 2 copies to be run simultaneously on a dual processor machine.
Ah, I've taken note and restarted my appropriate clients. Thanks for the tip, Turias.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

     
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: College Park, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 12, 2004, 10:12 PM
 
It needs to be two installs, not just 2 copies. If you just made a copy of the first, run ./<fahclient> -config, and change the machine ID to a different number.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chico, CA and Carlsbad, CA.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 13, 2004, 11:17 AM
 
Originally posted by Scotttheking:
It needs to be two installs, not just 2 copies. If you just made a copy of the first, run ./<fahclient> -config, and change the machine ID to a different number.
So if I have it running on multiple computers (and some of those with multiple CPUs), I essentially have to run -config to change the machine ID per CPU that is running it, right?

Pertaining to the setup of the client, I got as far as realizing that if you only have one client running, the client will store its work and its settings in ~/Library/Folding@Home/. If you want to run another client simultaneously on the same machine (say a dual processor machine), then you run every other client with the -local option which, for that instance of the client, stores the temp work files and client settings in the directory the client is located.

As far as machine IDs go, I'm not sure how literal "machine ID" is. Does that refer to the physical machine, or theorectical Machine (each CPU)?
( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Jan 13, 2004 at 11:26 AM. )
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Minnesota
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 13, 2004, 11:19 AM
 
Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
So if I have it running on multiple computers (and some of those with multiple CPUs), I essentially have to run -config to change the machine ID per CPU that is running it, right?
No, the IDs only need to be different when multiple copies are running on the same machine.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chico, CA and Carlsbad, CA.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 13, 2004, 11:34 AM
 
Originally posted by Turias:
No, the IDs only need to be different when multiple copies are running on the same machine.
The first machine is a single processor. It gets Machine ID 1.

The second machine is a dual processor. It gets Machine ID 2 for both its two clients. The client/stats database are smart enough to know the all workloads returned from the same Machine ID are from the same physical machine, right?

I'm guessing that the Machine ID is used to track workloads for statistical purposes, which is where the confusion sets in... I am not familiar with the Folding@home project, so to just jump in like this is a bit of a challenge. I am only familiar with RC5-64, in which you simply started another client with your account settings and everything was gravy.

Thanks, Scott and Turias... I appreciate the help in understanding.
( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Jan 13, 2004 at 11:41 AM. )
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Minnesota
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 13, 2004, 11:47 AM
 
Well, since you can only have up to 8 IDs (if I remember correctly), it doesn't really make a lot of sense as a "Machine ID", since many people run Folding on more than 8 machines.

For some reason, though, multiple clients on the same machince all need to have different numbers. The 8 IDs are probably used most effectively on large machines with 8 processors.

So, you could have id 1 on your machine 1, and ids 1 and 2 on your second machine. It doesn't really matter, as long as the two clients on your second machine are different.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chico, CA and Carlsbad, CA.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 13, 2004, 12:06 PM
 
Originally posted by Turias:
Well, since you can only have up to 8 IDs (if I remember correctly), it doesn't really make a lot of sense as a "Machine ID", since many people run Folding on more than 8 machines.

For some reason, though, multiple clients on the same machince all need to have different numbers. The 8 IDs are probably used most effectively on large machines with 8 processors.

So, you could have id 1 on your machine 1, and ids 1 and 2 on your second machine. It doesn't really matter, as long as the two clients on your second machine are different.
I did notice the option of only IDs 1-8, interesting. Thanks. I've re-ID'd my clients.

Let the race begin.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Carbondale, IL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2004, 12:53 PM
 
sign me up i guess

it'll be a nice way to break in my new 350Mhz iMac F34R
( Last edited by gumby5647; Jan 16, 2004 at 01:37 PM. )
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2004, 11:10 AM
 
Just wanted you to know Scott, that you've got another AthlonXP 3200+ crunching for the college kids. My f@h username is also Zimmerman.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chico, CA and Carlsbad, CA.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2004, 11:18 AM
 
Originally posted by Zimmerman:
Just wanted you to know Scott, that you've got another AthlonXP 3200+ crunching for the college kids. My f@h username is also Zimmerman.
AthlonXP 3200, sweet. Does that thing fly on the Folding@home? I'm crunching on a dual 2 ghz G5 here at work occasionally and it screams... both processors. Heh.

By the way, what college are you at in Washington? I have some friends at University of Washington. I'm representing California State University, Chico.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2004, 12:58 PM
 
Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
AthlonXP 3200, sweet. Does that thing fly on the Folding@home? I'm crunching on a dual 2 ghz G5 here at work occasionally and it screams... both processors. Heh.

By the way, what college are you at in Washington? I have some friends at University of Washington. I'm representing California State University, Chico.
I'm at WSU in Pullman on the Eastern side.

Well, I havent installed the CPU yet. I'm waiting for my Geil Ultra Series PC3200 cl2 5-2-2-2-1T dimms to get here. I picked up a couple 256mb modules from Newegg for cheap. Dual channel.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2004, 01:00 PM
 
I'm not sure, but isn't folding at home something that takes advantage of very fast SMID units so it doesn't really take advantage of the more complex cpus like the G5 and the Athlon compared to a P4 which is just brute force?

*cough*

So to focus that question, "doesn't f@h run faster on a P4 than an Athlon?" Or does anybody know yea/nay?

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!
     
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: College Park, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 18, 2004, 01:03 AM
 
Welcome, welcome all.

Now we need more. Let's show those old timers what we can do.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.
     
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Minneapolis
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 18, 2004, 02:41 PM
 
username is TubaMuffins
     
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: God's Country, The South
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 18, 2004, 05:07 PM
 
Originally posted by Zimmerman:
I'm not sure, but isn't folding at home something that takes advantage of very fast SMID units so it doesn't really take advantage of the more complex cpus like the G5 and the Athlon compared to a P4 which is just brute force?

*cough*

So to focus that question, "doesn't f@h run faster on a P4 than an Athlon?" Or does anybody know yea/nay?
Since ou are not on my team, I will give you the REAL answer: F@H works best on all pre-G3 Macs. Quadra's are really the best way for you to spend your money on your farm. I have several in the garage if you need some, I may even work you out a trade for some of that pitiful P4 iron!
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chico, CA and Carlsbad, CA.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2004, 01:52 AM
 
Once I go back to work tomorrow I can get a dual 2 G5 crunchin' for the College Kids. ph34r.

note: G3s really suck at crunching... Heh. Also, PCs seem to crunch to "400 steps" before completing one unit whereas Macs crunch 100 steps for one unit. Eh, what's the deal?
( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Jan 21, 2004 at 01:59 PM. )
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chico, CA and Carlsbad, CA.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2004, 02:28 PM
 
Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
Once I go back to work tomorrow I can get a dual 2 G5 crunchin' for the College Kids. ph34r.

note: G3s really suck at crunching... Heh. Also, PCs seem to crunch to "400 steps" before completing one unit whereas Macs crunch 100 steps for one unit. Eh, what's the deal?
Ah-hah, I just checked out the list of projects page and I'm folding some proteins using the Tinker core on one of my PCs (protein 692)... These are listed as having 400 frames. Makes sense.

I wonder why the PCs are grabbing such large units. Well at least they'll get 70 points... wow.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: LA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 22, 2004, 01:35 PM
 
allright I'll join the fight. I haven't been crunching for a while, for whatever reason but I'm back in business. I have a 2.4 Ghz P4 and a 800mhz G4.

I'll be representing Cal State Long Beach.

When does the race start?
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 23, 2004, 11:06 PM
 
Username Banana, adding 3 1 GHz G4s.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated
     
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: College Park, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 24, 2004, 01:51 AM
 
Originally posted by surfdog17:
allright I'll join the fight. I haven't been crunching for a while, for whatever reason but I'm back in business. I have a 2.4 Ghz P4 and a 800mhz G4.

I'll be representing Cal State Long Beach.

When does the race start?
It started January 18th.
Both of you have been added.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: LA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 24, 2004, 03:13 PM
 
Well if there was any doubts about me being in college, my example of not following directions should put that to rest. I forgot to put in my username (dustin_17_)

Are there any specific stats for this race?
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chico, CA and Carlsbad, CA.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2004, 02:17 PM
 
I left town with a few machines folding, and I came back to find that none of them had been working on new data for about 2 days... I keep getting errors on multiple machines saying that the client could not send HTTP requests to server. Bummer.
Code:
[18:14:50] + Attempting to send results [18:15:50] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server [18:15:50] + Could not connect to Work Server (results) [18:15:50] (171.67.89.150:8080) [18:15:50] - Error: Could not transmit unit 06 (completed January 24). Keeping unit in queue.
It sucks that I had a few crucial machines not crunching over the weekend...

edit: Damnit. I forgot that I had set Little Snitch to automatically deny, so my workstation here at work had been trying to submit/fetch units all weekend... bummer.
( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Jan 26, 2004 at 05:15 PM. )
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Washington
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 26, 2004, 03:16 PM
 
Crikey! This thing is fast (XP3200+) It burns through a 2,500,000 step work unit in about fifteen hours, or between 8.5 and 11 minutes for 1% to complete. The CLI client is MUCH faster than the graphical client.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jul 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 29, 2004, 12:27 PM
 
my user name: Dr-Mojura
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2