Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > [FAH] Can someone write up a post for the macnn front page?

[FAH] Can someone write up a post for the macnn front page?
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2004, 05:02 AM

I need someone or some people to write up a post for the macnn front page for recruiting.
I'd suggest that it point out our current threats, and opportunities for new members.
If it's done and posted here, and collectively edited, I'll get it posted to the macnn front page (although the news posters have a nasty habit of editing what I send).

Thanks.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Regular
May 22, 2004, 12:00 PM

has this been done? or is there still a need here...

if the front page thing isn't working, is there the option/opportunity to email/IM/PM through the board to the folks that signed off but are currently inactive?

For me, after doing (and abandoning) SETI ages ago, DC finally became worthwhile again to me for a couple reasons:

-Bio class. Yep, school. It would be good to communicate some of the enthusiasm and potential payoffs of helping this technology develop. I'm in mid 30's, quit job, taking science prereqs for grad health care program....the more I learned out about proteins and DNA and the like, the more strongly this became THE project for me....the potential is mind blowing here....

- the helper apps, specifically calxalot's InCrease. Found over at

http://teammacosx.homeunix.com?

Without this my production would literally be about 1/3 what it is, and, perhaps more important to me: THAT LET ME BE IN CONTROL OF MY MACHINE...

I have an iBook, and this beauty of a script app stops folding automatically when I unplug, or run programs I specify....AND, made it ABSOLUTELY PAINLESS to set up a dual processort configuration on my dual G4.

I think the fear/lack of CLI is a huge problem...I am the "Mac" guy among friends and family, and having been involved since the Apple II & 128k mac, am confident in most things Mac, but I hemmed and hawed about this, even tried it and found scattered, poor, or contradictory instructions...sure, a little more time I could've waded through and got it figured out, but, for whatever series of reasons/choices, the task went undone and I started with the screen saver. Nothing wrong with the screensaver, I didn't want to sap any of my computers power when using it for my own purposes.....but InCrease makes it all pain go away, and gives such amzing control.

I've watched this thing through the activity monitor (it's activity shows in blue under "nice" CPU activity)...and it really works. For only a very few apps do I set to pause folding not losing partial work units, just pausing them...

Increase, or other / similar CLI interfaces need to be covered for what they can do to alleviate the fears of the unitiated, or, to get a trial out of people who the novelty of watching the protheins fold (didn't someone come up with a visualizer for people using CLI for occasional "snap shots" of activity...I believe I read about it...)

So, My dual G4 800 instead of working as a screensaver when I'm not at my computer on 1 processor, is now working at least partially all the time on BOTH processors, and full blast when I'm not on the computer on both processors....I LOVE IT. I really notice no lag for surfing with DSL line, basic word processing, itunes, etc...

I started off with a long list of exclusions, but using it, the lowest priority thread assignment that the client runs with really does leave the machine responsive to apps and user input. As such, I experiment with the "app exclude" (pause folding by applications run function) and have reduced my initially long list to a few key apps...

If the letter can address some of the fears/concerns of those that left or haven't tried, we will go far to pick up clients / participants.

I am amazed to watch them chew up unit after unit, even on my older machines, and do get a sense of satisfaction for contributing to something this concretely worthwhile.
( Last edited by emark; May 22, 2004 at 02:02 PM. )

Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 08:57 PM

Yep, for dualie boxes if we cold push InCrease, and how easy it is to use, I recon we could get some takers...

Forum Regular
May 26, 2004, 01:19 PM

the kicker is, dualie, or single, getting people off a screensaver that runs occasionally, and onto donating all the spare cycles...even on my iBook, the productivity has gone way way up...of course I'm also not letting it sleep anymore either now.... but seriously, single or dual, the CLI is the way to go.

So, any refinements on the ideas? edits of inputs above to form a post?

What can the post be like? a user experience? or just a plea to consider donating cycles, as it is really the painless process we had hoped for at one time....

look at all the people on the team who have no current/active WUs or CPUs...

At one time they were into it? the goodness associated with the act isn't diminished? What about it was different? Were most people using the screensaver, the stand alone app, or the CLI?

Any ideas? I don't mind trying to write something based on my experience, but I'm not sure I have the perspective historically on what's happened, or really a sharp idea of what it could be...anyone else?

Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 01:54 PM

What we need is for somebody to offer a painless installer of the CLI, and whatever steps are necessary to make it as in-ubiquitous as possible. For example that would include the installation and configuration of Trayit! on the PC side.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
What we need is for somebody to offer a painless installer of the CLI, and whatever steps are necessary to make it as in-ubiquitous as possible. For example that would include the installation and configuration of Trayit! on the PC side.
Someone was working on that a while ago, but the project fell by the wayside.

Forum Regular
May 28, 2004, 11:58 AM

the painless installer exists....it's called INCREASE...check link above.

it will go so far as to install the clients (1 or 2) on a dual machine, NO PROBLEM, NO KNOWLEDGE. and has a + / - interface to add and subtract apps to automatically pause folding for...the status is updated regularly, but for the grapical gee-wiz progress bar and time remaining calculation, I occasionally activate FAH Monitor (not FAH Manager).

That's how I switched. I'm no genius, and I only remember the most rudimentary CLI things....

check it out if you haven't. the program is available at the teamosx website, link above.

The hard work is done. They were very supportive/friendly even though I was "folding for that "other" team"...as they put it....

there interested in the bottom line - Folding...and macs too...way more than the competitive aspect, which is really nice.

So, the question comes back to, for an announcement, what can we say/publish as far as front page requirements...and how do we as briefly as possible, communicate the painlessness and the importance of this project (not that they aren't all interesting/important in their own ways)....

who has the ultimate say, and can offer a bit of guidance on what they want so we don't waste time cooking up things that aren't applicable?

Forum Links
Forum Rules