Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Enhanced Optimized

Enhanced Optimized (Page 16)
Thread Tools
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 4, 2007, 01:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
You might also like to read my experience of playing with Mac OSX shared memory problem.

It only occurred, for me, when running multiple projects on my Quad.

K.
It's a bit long to cut and past here, but re-reading it I am reminded that it has been discussed before on this forum - HERE and on SAH - HERE

K.
     
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 5, 2007, 12:20 AM
 
Alex:
It does in fact seem to have been shared memory. I've yet to see a single error since changing the settings this morning.

Thanks for the quick reply with a pointer to the implementation instructions. Keep up the good work.
( Last edited by gerardrj; Jan 5, 2007 at 12:22 AM. Reason: "return" key posted accidentally wihtout "thanks" line..)
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Virginia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 5, 2007, 03:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
It's a bit long to cut and past here, but re-reading it I am reminded that it has been discussed before on this forum - HERE and on SAH - HERE

K.
Thanks, K - I remember the discussion now. I haven't had that problem occur (yet), but I think I'll go ahead and change the shared memory settings anyway, as I often have a lot of apps running on here at the same time.

beadman
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Virginia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 10, 2007, 11:09 AM
 
Alex:
Here's a weird one for you. I ended up invalid on my PM G4 using your latest client, along with a couple of PCs, but a couple more PCs and a MBP running the default client, ended up valid.

Workunit

I can't find a copy of SETIgrabber, so I haven't been able to get a copy of the WU.

beadman
( Last edited by beadman; Jan 10, 2007 at 01:43 PM. )
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 10, 2007, 03:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by beadman View Post
Alex:
Here's a weird one for you. I ended up invalid on my PM G4 using your latest client, along with a couple of PCs, but a couple more PCs and a MBP running the default client, ended up valid.

Workunit

I can't find a copy of SETIgrabber, so I haven't been able to get a copy of the WU.

beadman
Happened to me as well.
Richard Haselgrove offers a reason for this problem here:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum...d.php?id=37037
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Finland, Tuusula
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2007, 07:56 AM
 
Hi again, i just made CPU upgrade to mac pro. I change dual-core 2,66ghz to quad-core 2,33ghz (Xeon E5345)
Lets see what 8 core mac can do......
Computer summary
E.T
( Last edited by E.T from tellus; Jan 17, 2007 at 10:33 AM. )
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dublin, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2007, 11:21 AM
 
Originally Posted by E.T from tellus View Post
Hi again, i just made CPU upgrade to mac pro. I change dual-core 2,66ghz to quad-core 2,33ghz (Xeon E5345)
Lets see what 8 core mac can do......
Computer summary
E.T
Sweet! Can you please provide details of the upgrade? Did you follow the process at AnandTech? Did everything just work after the chip swap? Or did you have to make any other modifications? How are the temps? Are they any higher after the upgrade?
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cupertino, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2007, 11:40 AM
 
E.T, have you increased the amount of shared memory available on the machine? Considering how many problems the Quads (both PPC and Intel) have had, I can imagine that this beast needs the shared memory even more. Those initial errors seem a little worrisome.

Looking forward to seeing how it performs.
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dublin, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2007, 02:08 PM
 
Also, you need DIMMs in sets of 4 to get the full memory bandwidth. Without at least 1 set of 4, performance will poor. Do you have at least 1 set of 4?
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Finland, Tuusula
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2007, 02:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
Also, you need DIMMs in sets of 4 to get the full memory bandwidth. Without at least 1 set of 4, performance will poor. Do you have at least 1 set of 4?
Yes i have 8 x 1gb FB dimms, something is broke again in boinc client.
I think no one has change source code -> total memory is hw.memsize: not hw.physmem
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dublin, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2007, 05:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by E.T from tellus View Post
Yes i have 8 x 1gb FB dimms, something is broke again in boinc client.
I think no one has change source code -> total memory is hw.memsize: not hw.physmem
Which version are you using? I have been using 5.8.2 without any problems.

Also, have you tried this?

Configuring Shared Memory on Mac OS X

I have done this with all my macs.
( Last edited by zombie67; Jan 15, 2007 at 06:05 PM. )
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Finland, Tuusula
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 16, 2007, 06:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
Which version are you using? I have been using 5.8.2 without any problems.

Also, have you tried this?

Configuring Shared Memory on Mac OS X

I have done this with all my macs.
I mean boinc just report wrong amount of memory, 2048mb is max.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Finland, Tuusula
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2007, 10:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
Sweet! Can you please provide details of the upgrade? Did you follow the process at AnandTech? Did everything just work after the chip swap? Or did you have to make any other modifications? How are the temps? Are they any higher after the upgrade?
I don't know how the AnandTech make those but...
1) Most difficult part is dissasemble the fan from tunnel.
Fan has clips on each side near of corners against tunnel. I use PCI back plane shield as a tool to dissassemble fan. Fan comes in to tunnel.
Of course screws against bottom of tunnel are glued tight, as an result i need to change screws (i need to use pliers to open ) I believe that this is made on purpose. After cooling tunnel is dissassembled rest is quite easy
2) Pull heatsink cover out
3) just screw out heatsinks and disconnect sensors from motherboard
4) open ZF processor socets and replace new processors
5) put some heat conducting agent top of processor / clean heatsink plate
6) There is sensors in heatsinks remember to connect them.
7) put heatsinks on place, tighten them carefully.
8) put all together. Check carefully that there isn't any extra objects inside and fire it up.
It takes about 15minutes.
That's it, nothing else.....

I didn't realize any difference in temperature, but i tell more when i have better knowledge
E.T
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Finland, Tuusula
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2007, 10:37 AM
 
Originally Posted by alexkan View Post
E.T, have you increased the amount of shared memory available on the machine? Considering how many problems the Quads (both PPC and Intel) have had, I can imagine that this beast needs the shared memory even more. Those initial errors seem a little worrisome.

Looking forward to seeing how it performs.
I think i screw up to join project, it start calculating with std cliend supplied by seti. Then i change client and as a result i need to reset whole project :-) Anyway i test first under 10.5 dev seed, doesn't work at all...
anyway i change my shmem:
kern.sysv.shmmax: 67108864
kern.sysv.shmmin: 1
kern.sysv.shmmni: 128
kern.sysv.shmseg: 32
kern.sysv.shmall: 4096
E.T
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dublin, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2007, 12:04 PM
 
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832

This is the article on AnandTech detailing how to upgrade processors on a MacPro. Jump to page 3 using the index pull-down. Pictures included.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Finland, Tuusula
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2007, 12:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
AnandTech: Apple's Mac Pro - Upgrading CPUs, Memory & Running XP

This is the article on AnandTech detailing how to upgrade processors on a MacPro. Jump to page 3 using the index pull-down. Pictures included.
I tried that way first -> too much violence That's why i decided to remove fan and open screws from tunnel.
Then there is enough space. http://esa.tienhaara.net/seti/pics/05092006097.jpg
E.T
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dublin, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2007, 07:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
After a temporary setback due to those ugly low-credit WUs , I finally made my way back up and broke 2200! No let's see how much further. 2300?!
Just hit 2392, #74 on teh top computers list!
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Golden Valley, AZ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2007, 09:57 PM
 
With the problems you will probably drop off a bit though.
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dublin, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 17, 2007, 10:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by arkayn View Post
With the problems you will probably drop off a bit though.
Not likely. I have a 10 day cache with this machine.

...although, with the way it's crunching, it really only about 3 days or so...
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Golden Valley, AZ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 18, 2007, 11:08 AM
 
I supposedly have a 4 day cache on my machine, but it usually only lasts a day and a half.
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dublin, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 18, 2007, 12:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
Just hit 2392, #74 on teh top computers list!
2484, #59!! Where will it stop?!
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 19, 2007, 10:53 AM
 
I am running a dual G5 2Ghz, 2 GB memory and I am running the latest alex worker. I was wondering what sort of performance I should be getting. Using two cpu cores I would think I would be doing better than it seems I am. Here is the link to my host stats. I am not complaining about how much work it cranks out but it seems low to me. Thank you for the input!


Computer summary
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dublin, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 19, 2007, 11:34 AM
 
Originally Posted by stewardwildcat View Post
I am running a dual G5 2Ghz, 2 GB memory and I am running the latest alex worker. I was wondering what sort of performance I should be getting. Using two cpu cores I would think I would be doing better than it seems I am. Here is the link to my host stats. I am not complaining about how much work it cranks out but it seems low to me. Thank you for the input!


Computer summary
My quad 2.5ghz maxed out around 3000 RAC (note: not per day, which is different). Now, I also use it as a daily work machine for light tasks like email, web, spreadsheets. So I probably could have squeezed another 100-200 RAC out of it if I left it alone.

Anyway, cut that in half for the number of processors, gets you to 1500, cut that by about 20% for the speed, and you are down to about 1200.

Another way to compare it is with my 1.8ghz iMac. It maxed out at 525 RAC. So double that for the number of processors, and you get 1100. Increase it by about 10% to account for the speed, and you get to 1210.

So...I think you should be able to squeeze another 100 RAC out of it.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Finland, Tuusula
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2007, 06:25 AM
 
There will be interesting competition.
#1 ranked computer is SGI IP27 (128cpu) http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_...hostid=3000950
Total FPU: 64369
Total integer: 78058

In therory 8 core mac pro should beat that, http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_...hostid=3022805
total FPU: 75386
total integer: 216 934
Of coarse it depends lot of other things than raw power
E.T
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dublin, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2007, 07:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by E.T from tellus View Post
Of coarse it depends lot of other things than raw power
Can you imagine the power that thing takes to run? At least a 220v circuit too...Yikes!
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Finland, Tuusula
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 20, 2007, 07:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
Can you imagine the power that thing takes to run? At least a 220v circuit too...Yikes!
Around 20kW, good heater for large office. That has been cost over 1m$ few years ago.
Anyway i have gained rac 1900 in four days
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dublin, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2007, 07:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by E.T from tellus View Post
Around 20kW, good heater for large office. That has been cost over 1m$ few years ago.
Anyway i have gained rac 1900 in four days
I sure hope he is running that from an office or school.

I've been watching your machine. It would be good to see who?'s machine on S@H too, so we could see how a windows V8 w/ his top-secret app does against a mac V8 w/ alexkan.
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Virginia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 24, 2007, 12:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by E.T from tellus View Post
Around 20kW, good heater for large office. That has been cost over 1m$ few years ago.
Anyway i have gained rac 1900 in four days
Now, #20 and RAC of 3601.95 and climbing. Congratulations!

beadman
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 24, 2007, 02:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by beadman View Post
Now, #20 and RAC of 3601.95 and climbing. Congratulations!

beadman
The 'monster' will probably not make it much above 5000. I predict RAC around 8000 for E.T.'s box.

Keep going, man!
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Finland, Tuusula
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 24, 2007, 05:23 PM
 
Let's see how long it takes to #1 position, RAC grows about 600/day.
I think Rac 7500 is max, there is only 2,33ghz quads
E.T
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dublin, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 27, 2007, 12:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by E.T from tellus View Post
Hi again, i just made CPU upgrade to mac pro. I change dual-core 2,66ghz to quad-core 2,33ghz (Xeon E5345)
Lets see what 8 core mac can do......
Computer summary
E.T
FYI: The apple store has refurb'd 2.0ghz Mac Pros in stock for $1899. Pretty good way to go, assuming you are going to upgrade to dual quads. Add another $950 each for the E5345s, and another 2x 512gb FB DIMMs for about $220, and you have a fast 8-way Mac Pro for about $4100 + Tax. Not bad....
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 30, 2007, 04:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by E.T from tellus View Post
Let's see how long it takes to #1 position, RAC grows about 600/day.
I think Rac 7500 is max, there is only 2,33ghz quads
E.T
You made it!
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 30, 2007, 05:58 PM
 
I think that you should let Apple Inc. know.
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dublin, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 31, 2007, 09:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by E.T from tellus View Post
Let's see how long it takes to #1 position, RAC grows about 600/day.
I think Rac 7500 is max, there is only 2,33ghz quads
E.T
You just brrok 5000!

However, Who? is moving his V8 over to SETI to "test out some SSSE3 code". So you will soon have some competition.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Finland, Tuusula
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 31, 2007, 09:41 AM
 
Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
You just brrok 5000!

However, Who? is moving his V8 over to SETI to "test out some SSSE3 code". So you will soon have some competition.
Yes! otherwise this seems to be unfair competition.
Anyway i don't realize any problem with heat. i think i can try 8 way X-serve next.

Here is my sysctl if someone is interested:
hw.ncpu = 8
hw.cpufrequency = 2330000000
hw.availcpu = 8
hw.ncpu: 8
hw.activecpu: 8
hw.physicalcpu: 8
hw.physicalcpu_max: 8
hw.logicalcpu: 8
hw.logicalcpu_max: 8
hw.cputype: 7
hw.cpusubtype: 4
hw.cpufamily: 1114597871
hw.cpufrequency: 2330000000
hw.cpufrequency_min: 2330000000
hw.cpufrequency_max: 2330000000
machdep.cpu.vendor: GenuineIntel
machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5345 @ 2.33GHz
machdep.cpu.model_string: Unknown Intel P6 Family
machdep.cpu.family: 6
machdep.cpu.model: 15
machdep.cpu.extmodel: 0
machdep.cpu.extfamily: 0
machdep.cpu.feature_bits: -1075053569 320445
machdep.cpu.extfeature_bits: 537919488 1
machdep.cpu.stepping: 7
machdep.cpu.signature: 1783
machdep.cpu.brand: 0
machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL VMX EST TM2 MNI CX16 TPR
machdep.cpu.extfeatures: XD EM64T
machdep.cpu.logical_per_package: 4
machdep.cpu.cores_per_package: 4
( Last edited by E.T from tellus; Jan 31, 2007 at 10:01 AM. )
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 1, 2007, 06:19 PM
 
I'm running seti_enhanced-ppc-v7.1-g4-nographic on my PowerMac G4. My BOINCManager is listed as 5.4.9.

I see that the new Macintosh BOINCManager Version 5.8.8 was just released. (Is my BOINCManager 5.4.9 really that out of date?)

So, now what do I do? If I run the BOINCManager Version 5.8.8 installer, will it overwrite my current BOINCManager properly? Or do I have to deinstall BOINCManager?

Will the install of BOINCManager Version 5.8.8 overwrite my seti_enhanced-ppc-v7.1-g4-nographic?

I'm oviously not real clear on how BOINCManager installation works. (It's been so long since I installed it.)

Thanks in advance!

Jim
Milwaukee, WI
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 1, 2007, 07:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by jimm View Post
I'm running seti_enhanced-ppc-v7.1-g4-nographic on my PowerMac G4. My BOINCManager is listed as 5.4.9.

I see that the new Macintosh BOINCManager Version 5.8.8 was just released. (Is my BOINCManager 5.4.9 really that out of date?)

So, now what do I do? If I run the BOINCManager Version 5.8.8 installer, will it overwrite my current BOINCManager properly? Or do I have to deinstall BOINCManager?

Will the install of BOINCManager Version 5.8.8 overwrite my seti_enhanced-ppc-v7.1-g4-nographic?
Don't worry. The new Boinc was just issued today. Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket today! The old 5.4.9 was the most recent for the last year of so.

You can just stop Boinc, run the installer for the new Boinc and away you go. BTW, come on over to SIMAP and make a difference. You can help our team to move up a couple of places and do some real science as a side benefit.
     
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 3, 2007, 09:10 AM
 
Congrats E.T.

I always thought Mac SETI is not the same if you are not the number 1 Top computer
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 4, 2007, 05:37 AM
 
My congrats, too, E.T! I wonder how high the RAC will climb...

BTW: what ever happened to your C2D-modded mini? I just ordered a T7200 to beef-up one of my minis, and I was wondering why you stopped crunching with yours...

TIA for your feedback!

Ron
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dublin, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 4, 2007, 09:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by halimedia View Post
My congrats, too, E.T! I wonder how high the RAC will climb...
It seems to have hit the ceiling at about 5300 RAC. Not sure if that is the max, or if he's slowing it down by using it for actual work.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Finland, Tuusula
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 4, 2007, 04:48 PM
 
No work, and status update took 16 hours. I think there is something going on in Berkeley.
( Last edited by E.T from tellus; Feb 5, 2007 at 02:52 AM. )
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Golden Valley, AZ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 4, 2007, 11:02 PM
 
My eMac is not getting any work from SETI, but my laptop and desktop PC's running KWSN downloaded plenty of work.

I ended up downloading some Beta units so this has something to do.
     
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dublin, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2007, 01:28 AM
 
Originally Posted by E.T from tellus View Post
No work, and status update took 16 hours. I think there is something going on in bekeley.
That's the very reason I don't usually run a machine with a single project. However, when I do*, I always set my connect time to the max (10 days).

I see your machine is starting to climb again. Get 'em!

*Usually for a race for #1 RAC, or to benchmark my machine for that project, or to benchmark a new alexkan app on SETI.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2007, 07:33 AM
 
Here's the stderr out from a recent work unit.
<core_client_version>5.8.8</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<stderr_txt>
MacOS Error -5000 occured in /Users/alexkan/seti/boinc/api/mac_icon.C line 107
MacOS Error -5000 occured in /Users/alexkan/seti/boinc/api/mac_icon.C line 107
OS X optimized S@H Enhanced application by Alex Kan
Version info: OS X Altivec (G4/G5, G5-optimized v7.1-nographics) V5.13 by Alex Kan

Work Unit Info:
...............
WU true angle range is : 12.308841
SETI@Home Informational message -9 result_overflow
NOTE: The number of results detected exceeds the storage space allocated.

</stderr_txt>

resulted in 0.01 credit.

I'm getting the same error messages on my MacBook Pro running the Intel worker.

Any idea what's up?

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_...hostid=2421570
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_...hostid=2544256
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2007, 09:44 AM
 
Originally Posted by Lauger View Post
Here's the stderr out from a recent work unit.
<core_client_version>5.8.8</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<stderr_txt>
MacOS Error -5000 occured in /Users/alexkan/seti/boinc/api/mac_icon.C line 107
MacOS Error -5000 occured in /Users/alexkan/seti/boinc/api/mac_icon.C line 107
OS X optimized S@H Enhanced application by Alex Kan
Version info: OS X Altivec (G4/G5, G5-optimized v7.1-nographics) V5.13 by Alex Kan
I get this on my results as well. Don't know why but the wu's validate ok and speed seems unaffected.

Originally Posted by Lauger View Post
Work Unit Info:
...............
WU true angle range is : 12.308841
SETI@Home Informational message -9 result_overflow
NOTE: The number of results detected exceeds the storage space allocated.

</stderr_txt>

resulted in 0.01 credit.

I'm getting the same error messages on my MacBook Pro running the Intel worker.

Any idea what's up?
This means that there is to much noise in the wu, usually extraneous noise on the receiver at the time the wu was recorded. What is called 'RFI spikes'. When there is to much RFI the wu is abandoned, and small credit is given for trying. Sometimes this can occur with a batch of wu's, as a wu is just a small chunk of a longer recording of the signal from ET (We hope)

K.
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2007, 07:28 AM
 
Thanks for the feedback. I had seen the odd small credit work unit before, but started getting "a bunch" recently. 50% or so of my total workunits for a couple of days. Looks like it's getting back to "normal"
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2007, 10:21 AM
 
Originally Posted by Lauger View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I had seen the odd small credit work unit before, but started getting "a bunch" recently. 50% or so of my total workunits for a couple of days. Looks like it's getting back to "normal"
Berkeley tends to send out similar WUs in bunches. Sometimes, we'll get a bunch that error out, sometimes we'll get bunches that process faster (or slower) than usual, sometimes we'll get a bunch of the dreaded 57.4 WUs (these process slower but we get lower than average credit compared to the processing time).

It all depends on the order that the data tapes are loaded and what's on them.

QS
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2007, 01:50 PM
 
As I hinted at in my previous post, I've just modded one of my Intel minis, installing a T7200 C2D (2 GHz). The mod went smoothly, and all seems well and stable. The only thing that concerns me a bit ist that before the mod (i.e. with CD 1.66 GHz installed), the CPU temperature during crunching averaged around 75 °C, and that this value has now increased to around 90 °C. To me, this seems a bit close to the 100 °C maximum temperature rating of the CPU.

I'd highly appreciate any C2D-crunchers with Hardware Monitor or a similar utility installed sharing their CPU temperature values while crunching on both cores. TIA for any feedback!

/ron
     
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2007, 05:07 AM
 
I'd like to add something to my post above: I'm interested in CPU temperature values from _any_ Core 2 Duo-equipped Mac (i.e. iMacs, Mac Books and Mac Book Pros included) while crunching SETI on both cores. TIA!

/ron
     
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2007, 11:54 AM
 
Did you see my thread about doing this very same upgrade?
http://forums.macnn.com/72/team-macn...e-time-crunch/
- Fourth Horseman -
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2