Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > "Homemade" VGA to ADC connector....

"Homemade" VGA to ADC connector....
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 05:56 AM

Ok, I really really really want to use a 15" Studio Display with my iBook. Of course though, there is a problem with connectors.

Here is my plan to get it to work, can anyone let me know if they have any experience/see any problems?

Using the VGA output of the iBook, I plan to use a DVI to VGA adaptor in reverse. (These look like simple wire adaptors, not big enough for circuitry in them, so turning around shouldnt cause a problem, but I'm not 100% sure.) Then my iBook is giving out a DVI signal. I can then use an Apple DVI to ADC converter, and I am set to go. All for a lot lot cheaper than the Gefen option, and it will look a lot nicer.

Unless anyone says it absolutely can't be done then I will try and let you know, I'm sure lots of people would love to use a Studio Display with their iBook.

Tom

PS: I have enabled dual monitor support on iBook.
What are you looking for? A signature?

Feb 24, 2003, 12:51 PM

I don't think the signals send by VGA are compatible with DVI, you should research that before doing it to avoid damage to your setup.

Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 04:19 PM

You also will need a way to provide power.

Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 04:52 PM

The Apple DVI to ADC converter provides power.

And I assume that a VGA signal is compatible with VDI as there is an adaptor,

Tom.

Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2003, 05:52 PM

Won't work:

The DVI to VGA adapter is to extract VGA from a DVI-I socket.

DVI-I is actually 2 plugs in one. VGA and DVI, the trick isimit it so you can only use one at a time.

Until there are cards capable of doing quad-head video this works great. THen there will probably be DVI/VGA-DVI-I splitters.

Anyway, what you get out of a DVI jack using the adapter is the VGA signal it provides. It DOES NOT convert analog to digital.

The Geffen adapter has an analog to digital converter. You also have to remember this wouldn't work in reverse without gender adapters either.

Sorry.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2003, 06:03 PM

I agree with MacZealot. VGA is analog. DVI is digital. You can't tranform an analog VGA signal into a digital DVI signal with wires alone.

Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 07:54 PM

Oh well, sounds like I won't be able to do it then.

I shall either wait for one of the old vga style displays to come up on eBay, or buy a different make.

Thanks for the input though everyone.

Tom.

Senior User
Feb 25, 2003, 03:04 PM

^ you can do it, but you need the geffen adapter and that baby costs $400.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 05:54 PM

I thought about the adaptor, but can't justify the $400 cost.

It's either find an old studio display, or buy a less aesthetically pleasing monitor.

Tom.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2003, 05:34 PM

Actually. the geffen adapter is $299 now and supports the 20 inch display as well. I just got a 20'' last week and had to hook it up to my Ti 550 (pre DVI). Everything works great albeit some signal loss due to the analog <->digital conversion. As I am waiting for the 15.4'' albook to be announced, this setup takes some of the edge off the wait. I couldn't stand having my 20'' bastardized on my PC . I would imagine it would hold its resale value due to the fact that the only way 12'' albooks can connect to apple displays will be via the geffen adapter. Once you get a system with DVI or ADC, == ebay time.

Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2003, 07:33 AM

Actually. the geffen adapter is $299 now and supports the 20 inch display as well. I just got a 20'' last week and had to hook it up to my Ti 550 (pre DVI). Everything works great albeit some signal loss due to the analog <->digital conversion. As I am waiting for the 15.4'' albook to be announced, this setup takes some of the edge off the wait. I couldn't stand having my 20'' bastardized on my PC . I would imagine it would hold its resale value due to the fact that the only way 12'' albooks can connect to apple displays will be via the geffen adapter. Once you get a system with DVI or ADC, == ebay time.
I was reading the information on the Gefen site and it said that the VGA to ADC convertor is not compatible with the video cards in iBooks. Any reason that the VGA signal from one computer is different to that from another?

Tom.

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2003, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by TomHMeredith:
I was reading the information on the Gefen site and it said that the VGA to ADC convertor is not compatible with the video cards in iBooks. Any reason that the VGA signal from one computer is different to that from another?
The iBook's firmware limits it to mirroring video on an external display. (Unless you use the monitor-spanning hack.) What's the point of hooking up a 20" display to an iBook if you can only display 1024x768 pixels (same as internal resolution) on it?

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by escher:
The iBook's firmware limits it to mirroring video on an external display. (Unless you use the monitor-spanning hack.) What's the point of hooking up a 20" display to an iBook if you can only display 1024x768 pixels (same as internal resolution) on it?

Escher
He said he enabled the monitor-spanning hack.

Forum Links
Forum Rules