Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Clamshell iBook questions - LCD, CD, logic board

Clamshell iBook questions - LCD, CD, logic board (Page 2)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2006, 03:41 PM

From what I can find out the main problem with a lack of grounding is EMI (interference).

Forgive me if this is obvious or already known but it appears that the frequency of the current and sensitivity of the devices involved means that small amounts of EMI can have a large impact. LCD design concentrates on reducing intereference as a basic requirement. Part of the solution is to ground the LCD properly. The LCD panel is often grounded from its four corners and this is channeled to the logicboard via the LCD cable. I'm not sure if with more compex panels other areas need to be grounded as this wasn't mentioned anywhere that I could find. Some information is here and here by the same author and very similar.

It appears then that we may find the reconstructed Franken-cable has interference issues. If this is the case we may be able to find a solution by fiddling with the grounding. It has been suggested is a few places that you could potentially run all grounds together, like a grounding plane. So I suppose those pins could be joined to the other grounds. However, I really don't know if that would cause even more problems. If it were that simple, ie a single ground plane, surely it would be designed like that in the first place?

Shifuimam - your signature still says 466 G4.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2006, 11:48 AM

I don't think that grounding wires need to be grounded to individual points - it's just a way of preventing interference and whatnot. In a car, you can ground a third-party stereo just by securing the stripped end of the grounding wire to an unpainted metal surface in the car!

You should conceivably be able to splice the extra grounding wires the G3/G4 LCD requires to the existing ground wires in the clamshell's cable. I suppose the other option would be to figure out if we can add a wire to the clamshell cable so that the pins on the board come into contact with the extra grounding wires. I would assume that contact would provide the necessary ground to prevent EMI.

What we really need is a circuit diagram of the iBook's logic board, especially where the video connector is concerned.

Here's what my brother (engineering background) told me:

If we can find a physical ground on the logic board (it should be labelled GND and lead back to the video connector), we should be able to solder the extra grounding cables for the G3/G4 LCD to the existing ground wires on the clamshell's cable. It would be better to solder one extra ground wire to one existing ground wire - two to a wire for the four existing wires.

All we need to do is inspect the logic board and and find out where those grounding pins terminate.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2006, 07:45 PM

Another update on this, after looking at the pictures some more...

mattfaulds, what is the model number of your LCD? I am curious, because my Compaq LCD seems identical, but has three less wires on the cable than the images you posted on your site.

Also, are the Averatec cables in the right female pin connectors to do the splicing? If not, we might have to look for another cable...

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 07:28 AM

I really couldn't find out much more than the pics I've got for the Averatec cables so I've taken a shot and it's on its way to me now!

I've also permission to post the pics of the G4 14" cable so I'll put them on my site in case they disappear.

The LCD in my pics is a Samsung LTN121X1.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2006, 08:33 PM

Well, crap. My LCD says 121XJUL03 on the back - that's all I can see. I think I threw out the logic board end of the cable from that LCD, so I don't have the label from the cable anymore.

I found pictures for two different Averatec LCD cables: 3150 "Sotec" cable and 3100 and 3200 series cable.

#2 looks more like the iBook cable (with the metallic base at the LCD end of the cable), but #1 looks more like the cable mattfaulds posted about in this thread. It's hard to tell from those pictures, but both look like they have the appropriate wiring to match up with the iBook's cable. I think I may pick up one of these and see what I can do.

mattfaulds, what I find interesting is that my Compaq cable is missing two blue wires compared to your G3/G4 cable, but it appears as though the LCDs are identical. Interesting... Does your broken G3/G4 LCD work at least to see if the cable splicing job worked? Perhaps Apple added some extra data wires to their LCDs to prevent people from swapping them out with non-Apple-certified parts. I wouldn't put it past them.

Definitely keep us posted on your progress. I may pick up one of those cables myself and see what I can do - several sellers on eBay have them for ~$20.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2006, 02:41 PM

Lol, I just came across this entire post and have been reading it like some kind of action/suspense book ....c'mon already - give me the good news! If I had known you guys were trying this I wouldn't have passed off my 366 so fast.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 06:02 PM

Hi troy! I think that mattfaulds ordered one kind of Averatec cable and is awaiting its arrival. I'm likely going to pick up one of the other Averatec cables and give the soldering another go. We'll be posting updates as they come...

Trust me, I'm probably 10x more excited than you are about this!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2006, 08:31 PM

When I first came across this post I took a look at possibly getting a cheap LCD to experiment on - but as usual for me other things came up .....so I'm hoping you guys break the barrier so to speak. If you get it done hopefully it'll package up nicely so the clammy keeps it's distinctive look and form. Then you'll turn heads :-)

Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2006, 10:41 AM

Hey folks, I've just read this entire thread and find it fascinating. I don't understand everything, but I'm intrigued. I don't know if this would be any help to you, but I have an old blueberry clamshell that took a dive down some stairs a couple of years ago, and if it would be helpful for you to have the display connectors or anything from it I would be gald to send them along for a couple of bucks. Good luck with your mod!

Also, I may have missed this (I'm a bit bleary-eyed), but have you indeed confirmed that the ATI chip on the 466 logic board will display 1024x768?

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2006, 12:00 PM

Hi marcus!

The ATI chip on the 466 board (Graphite and Lime models) is the same adapter in the first release of the white 12" iBook. This chip has 8MB VRAM, while the other clamshells have a 4MB VRAM chip. The upgrade was necessary in the Graphite and Lime models in order to facilitate the DVD-ROM drive those models shipped with - the 4MB chip isn't powerful enough for hardware DVD decoding.

Since the 12" iBooks always had a 1024x768 XGA screen, I think i'm pretty safe in assuming that the 466MHz clamshells can potentially support XGA displays.

Actually, it would be extremely helpful if you could send along the display cable from your blueberry. I had an extra one from a semi-dead Graphite I bought on eBay awhile back (for the 466 upgrade to my Tangerine that I discussed awhile back in this thread), but I've done surgery on it once from the failed experiment with the G3/G4 cable, so I may need another untouched cable. Please email me with how much $$ you want for it, and I'll send you my address - just regular USPS would be fine for mailing it. My email is my forum username here at gmail.com.

My next step in this project is to get ahold of an Averatec cable and see if I can't do something with that. I'm pretty sure the wires match up. If they don't the search for the right cable will have to start again.

P.S. - I'd also be interested in working out a deal for the rest of that iBook. I'm assuming its tumble down the stairs killed the LCD, but the casing is still in decent shape? I have some miscellaneous iBook parts that I could put into a presentable case and assemble another working iBook. I have a working logic board, hard drive, RAM, wireless, etc, but the only other case I have is really torn up. Soooo if you have a working case and CD-ROM, I might want to buy it off you if the price is right. I don't need any of the expensive components (display, logic board, hard drive, RAM). ...I could use the power adapter too, if you don't need it. What do you think?
( Last edited by shifuimam; Nov 19, 2006 at 12:08 PM. )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2006, 01:50 PM

Hello there all! Quick update.

The pieces are assembling. Now have Averatec 3150 LCD cable - the connector is fully compatible with the G3/G4 iBook LCD! Now all I need is some time....

Broken screens will definitely be useful by the way if anyone in the UK could offer one for a few dollars....

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 02:27 PM

Do the wires appear to be connected to the right holes/pins? That was my only concern...

Also, def let us know if the wires on the Averatec cable are standard insulated wires and can be soldered easily. It's hard to tell from the pictures!

I'm getting way too excited about this now...especially if it doesn't work...

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 06:06 AM

Yes, the pinouts look on the face of it to be the same as the 12"/14" ibook LCD cable.

As for the wires and their calibre - I'm not so sure. They're pretty small. Bigger than the 12"/14" LCD cable but certainly not as big as the clamshell ones. I've not had a chance to really get to grips with it yet. It has crossed my mind looking at the Averatec cable that we might be able to persuade the pins/contacts out of the conector and simply transplant them. I need a few hours and I'd really like a broken clamshell LCD to remove the metal housing so I could reassemble immediately.

I have had to shut the bits away 'cos I'm pretty excited too! I'll keep you posted.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2006, 11:07 AM

I just bought an Averatec 3200 cable on eBay for $14.99, and marcuscorder is sending me an extra clamshell cable. I've also got the LCD from my extra clamshell (which I somehow managed to break, unfortunately), so I will have a go at this very soon.

mattfaulds, can you post a clear close-up image of the two cables next to each other, so that we can compare the wire gauges?

If these aren't coaxial wires, then soldering shouldn't be TOO complex. One of the problems with the G3/G4 cable was that the wires were so impossibly thin that the soldering iron actually melted the wire, breaking the connection, and it all went downhilll from there. Even if these are a finer gauge than the clamshell wires, they may still be usable for soldering.

I'll also be posting updates as soon as they come!!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 06:06 PM

Sorry to jump in! I found this thread while searching for ideas for my Graphite iBook G3 as I'm about to put it on eBay. Crucial told me that I could only fit in 256MB of extra RAM but I've read elsewhere that you can upgrade to 512MB - is that true? It would be useful...

I only use it for web browsing and occasionally throwing documents together now as we have a shiny new MacBook for all the business stuff, but if a 1024x768 display upgrade is feasible then I'll be more inclined to fit a 512MB stick, a new battery and maybe the 60GB 7200rpm 2.5" drive I'm also about to eBay and keep it!

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread then...

: P
( Last edited by inigopete; Mar 15, 2007 at 05:27 AM. Reason: correctness)

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2006, 06:24 PM

Hi, inigopete!

Crucial is only following Apple's claimed maximum. It's been proven multiple times that the clamshell logic boards can handle up to a 512MB stick of RAM. I think that's the limit - 1GB sticks are new enough that the logic board likely won't see more than 512MB there.

Also - you may want to look around and see if anyone else has put a 7200rpm drive in a clamshell. Clamshells have a fanless cooling system, so keeping a 7200rpm drive at a safe temperature may not be possible - those drives generate considerably more heat and use more power/electricity to run (I've had external drive cases not work with 7200rpm drives because the power supply was inadequate). It might be better worth your time to eBay the drive and use the money to buy a used 4200 or 5200rpm drive. Just something to consider.

So far, I've spent about $450 on mine. I won it on eBay for $250. The 466MHz logic board upgrade was another $40, the combo drive was $20 (I think!), and the battery was $100. I got a 256MB stick of RAM for somewhere around $20 at Fry's, and I was one of the very lucky few to know someone with an extra Airport card he was willing to give me for free. I've invested about $40 in the display project so far, plus a lot of time. It's worth it, though. I think anyone in this forum who has a clamshell will attest that its unique appearance never fails to turn heads. You can do a decent amount of upgrading to one of these, considering it's a laptop computer.

Welcome aboard! We're always looking for more ideas and information for this project!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2006, 03:01 AM

Welcome Inigopete from me too!

Your clamshell will be a different beast with 512 of RAM. That size RAM works and to be honest I've tried quite a few varieties of RAM without problems. I have heard stories about incompatabilities, mainly OS X issues, so I would go for the slightly more expensive options like Crucial. If you want to run any flavour of OS X then you really need that RAM and Tiger (Mac OS 10.4) is great on the 466 model! I have to admit that I've never seen a 1GB 144pin SODIMM so I'm not sure that you could increase the RAM any further anyway.

As for HD upgrade you can use a 7200 and the main problem would be the increased power usage. As far as I'm aware there aren't any reports of clamshells overheating with drive upgrades but, as Shifuimam said, it is a possibility. I'm going for a 5400 with an 8MB cache to improve the performance as much a possible without hurting the battery life too much. The battery lasts very well for normal use and it is so nice to be able to unplug and use somewhere else. Using on the train has a real retro cool look!

As you know those of us upgrading in the UK can sometimes feel the pinch of our wallets a little more keenly as parts etc don't sell as cheaply over here. You've got to be cautious with import duty as well. I bought my clamshell replacement battery quite some time ago from the US to save some cash. I forgot about taxes and it eventually cost me double the selling+postage price!

Anyway, if this LCD upgrade works (I have a good feeling...) then I will be showing off this little clamshell as much as possible!

And to top it all off I have an idea for another project up my sleeve...
( Last edited by mattfaulds; Nov 23, 2006 at 11:28 AM. )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 01:42 PM

I've managed to remove the pins from the Averatec connector with very little damage. This should actually be possible on the original white ibook cable but we'll look at that later. I'll post some pics soon.
( Last edited by mattfaulds; Nov 24, 2006 at 04:20 PM. )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 03:20 PM

Here they are:

Comparing the cables. Averatec in the middle.

Comparing the white ibook and Averatec cables.

First pin out...

Half way... Here you can really clearly see the little bumps which allow the teeth to hold the pins in place. You just need to oh so gently lift up the teeth to slide the pin out.

Finished! A few teeth missing but shouldn't matter in the end!

Pins a bit closer.

Close up of pin showing where cable is crimped +/- soldered in. This is where the money is because we need to attach the clamshell cable to these pins to reinsert into the connector.

I will be on the case tomorrow!
( Last edited by mattfaulds; Nov 24, 2006 at 04:18 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2006, 03:39 PM

mattfaulds, your picture links are broken. Also, could you plz link to the high-res version of each image?

This is getting more exciting by the minute!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 04:14 PM

Oops! There we go - all fixed.

And just for you Shifuimam now linked to slightly better quality shots. Let me know what you think.

In the mean time, enjoy!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2006, 12:43 PM

I can't believe it.

My side of the project has come to a sudden and unhappy end.

The clamshell shipped with more than one kind of LCD. What I didn't know is that the pin outs for the different LCDs is different too. I was checking on what was actually wrong with my clamshell before pushing on with making the Frankencable and tried my "new" clamshell video data cable. I didn't look at the pin outs first.

No picture. No backlight. Scratch chin and suddenly puff of black smoke from near the video data connector on the logicboard.

I'm not sure what exactly has been damaged but I now all I have on the LCD is a white screen. If I hook up to an external monitor that shows a white screen also. In fact I'm not sure that the iBook boots properly. Interestingly, if the LCD is disconnected, all works well and normally with the iBook connected to an external monitor.

Can anyone help? I'm really annoyed as I think this is probably going to cost me a new logicboard and I was so close to finding out whether this project would work. Now I'm further back than I was at the beginning!

For everyone's information here is the video data cable that I tried to fit.

I'm sorry but over the past 7 hours of fiddling etc I haven't taken a pic of the original cable to compare. Take it from me that the two grounds are at the other end on my "new" cable. Compare to Shifuimam's pics here and here.

Beware getting the pin outs wrong and as for it not mattering too much...

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2006, 01:56 PM

This totally, totally sucks. I want to cry!

I have another cable coming my way, but not sure which LCD it goes with. I'll PM marcuscorder about that. (If he's reading this thread, what brand LCD was in your iBook? It should say on the back...) I'll be sure to triple-check before I try it.

My extra (broken) clamshell LCD and my Compaq XGA LCD are both from Samsung, but I guess we'll need to do some more research on the pinouts. They seem the same, at least on my broken Samsung SVGA and my working Samsung XGA.

What is most curious is that the pinouts seem the same between my broken Samsung and the information I found on the LG SVGA LCD online.

This is unfortunate, for sure. I will be taking a very careful examination of my soon-to-come Averatec cable as well as the extra clamshell cable being sent to me before I take any further steps.

mattfaulds, what is the brand of LCD cable you tried in your clamshell?

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2006, 02:01 PM

I just examined the cut off end of the Samsung clamshell cable. The wires are completely reversed - if I flip over the Samsung cable, the wires match that of the one that killed mattfaulds' logic board.

There's also extra wires on the logic board end of my Samsung cable compared to the number of wires connecting on the LCD end.

Curiouser and curiouser... I will hopefully be able to find out more when my other cables arrive!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2006, 02:16 PM

To clarify things a little my LCDs are all Samsung. This must be why we've not noticed this discrepancy before.

Unfortunately the "new" clamshell cable doesn't have any info on it so I've not idea which LCD manufacturer it's intended for. However, I agree with Shifuimam in that the wires do appear to be completely reversed.

I can't face reopening the clamshell to find out about that cable right now.

EDIT:

I have just seen another problem - there are 19 wires on the cable for the XGA LCD.

We have accounted for 18. What is the 19th for? My guess is that it's filling slot 17 which according to the pin outs we've found is No Connection.
( Last edited by mattfaulds; Nov 25, 2006 at 02:44 PM. )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 01:10 PM

What's that saying ....One step forward two steps back?
Keep the faith guys!

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by troy.n View Post
What's that saying ....One step forward two steps back?
Keep the faith guys!
yeah, don't give up.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Nov 8, 2007 at 11:13 PM. )
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2006, 06:44 AM

Ok. I'm back in. I admit it - I'm completely addicted!

I needed some time to regroup. Taking the bloody thing apart for the nth time and it all going blooming wrong was not a happy time.

I have a few options from here:

1) new logic board 466 FW
2) new clamshell 466 FW
3) get a 366 FW and do a little modding
4) have a go at finding the bit that's gone on my logic board and try and replace it. To be quite honest I have no idea quite how to do that so I reckon that's the least likely to be succesful!

I have some bits and pieces which I'm going to have to flog on ebay to fund this rapidly spinning out of control expenditure on the beautiful but geting quite old clamshell.

Of interest I contacted a chap who does a lot of work on ibooks and pbooks. He was quite surprised with the outcome from hooking up the wrong cable and feels it means either the cable or the logic board was damaged already. That is encouraging in terms of fiddling with cables to get an XGA screen. I'm not sure how we're going to test it out though. Who has nerves of steel? It is so upsetting when you're clamshell dies.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Sorry for so many long posts recently.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 08:58 AM

Well, I played around a bit with the Averatec cable I got, as well as my hacked up clamshell cable (Samsung). I did find that removing the crimped wires from the connectors was actually quite easy.

I also discovered that the clamshell's crimped wires won't fit in the Averatec's connector. This is a bit of a setback. BUT I also found that you can insert the free crimped wires into the XGA LCD's connector and plug them into the individual pins. If we could find a way to keep each crimp separate (I'm assuming if a metal crimp came into contact with one next to it, it would short and fry the whole assembly) without needing the Averatec's connector, we might have a solution. I'm not sure how to do it, though.

On the possible faulty cable - perhaps your logic board is fine; it's the cable that's screwed it up. You said that if you disconnect the LCD entirely, you get video via the video/audio 3.5mm jack on the board. If you plug in the cable but keep the LCD itself disconnected, do you get the white video symptom?

Hopefully I'll be able to play around some more when the cable from marcuscorder comes in...

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 06:11 PM

I have been watching the progress on the display swap with great interest as I have modified the wife and I's clamshells about as much as possible but the lack of resouloution is hurting her iphoto work and my new drafting program.

When digging through my pile of clamshell parts the other day I came across something of interest. One of the displays was a LG Philips LC121S1-A1MT instead of a Samsung. The plug on this display, although in a slightly different place, matched the plug on a Samsung LTN121X1-L02 out of a dual usb ibook. When I found and compared the input terminal assignments I discovered they were the same. The wires that were missing from the clamshell harness were listed as grounds on the Philips pin assignment but were simply ignored. Could it be that the Samsung XGA would also operate without them? If so the swap would be a plug-in. The biggest problem I see is making the display itself fit correctly but that may get simpler with study. I will attempt it as soon as time allows.

Another thing I discovered while tinkering with the old ibooks is that you don't have to completely reassemble them to test them. Just plug an old imac keyboard and mouse into the usb port and a earphone into the jack and you can test your mods while the computer is still open.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 06:21 PM

Hi Randy.

That is very interesting indeed! Is there any chance you could post some photos? I think there would be several people interested in that...

For anyone interested, I have sourced a replacement 466FW logic board. Phew!

Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2006, 11:27 PM

Hey all, sorry to hear about the troubles. I'm afraid I have been away from computers for a while, hence my non-response. The LCD from my clamshell is a Samsung. I hope the cable I sent will still be helpful when you get it. Chin up!

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 09:49 AM

randy.r, I just want to make sure I have this straight:

The 12.1" SVGA Philips/LG LCD in clamshell iBooks uses a different connector than both the IBM and the Samsung LCDs. The LG has the smaller 20-pin connector that is in the G3/G4 iBook LCD, and the cable is similar to the pictures posted from the G3/G4 LCD and the Averatec LCD? Can you post pictures?

Would you be interested in selling that LCD cable? If it's the same, and a 12" XGA Samsung LCD like mattfaulds and I have would work, I'd be interested in trying it out. I'm trying to find pictures online of that LG SVGA LCD cable, but no luck so far.

This could be very exciting!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 11:34 PM

shifuimam, You have it right, although I've never seen a IBM. I'll post some pics as soon as I can figure out how. May have to email them.

The number on the cable is LG HPU280010500U02 89

Another discovery, the backlight cable is in the opposite corner on the xga and will have to be extended, same plug though. Hope the backlight electronics are compatable.

One more. You really need the philips display, not only for the cable but for the mounting ring. The mounting lugs are part of the Samung display and can't be removed. A good install would tough without it.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 10:33 AM

randy.r, this is definitely interesting.

Would you be interesting in parting out that cable to me - and possibly the mounting ring I might need? If you don't need them, I'd be thrilled to be able to give this project a boost!!!

Also, you mentioned looking at the terminal assignments for the LG SVGA and the Samsung XGA. Can you post a link to that information, or post that information here?

If the Samsung XGA and the LG SVGA have identical pin configurations for data and power and grounding (if a ground is missing, we should be able to splice to an existing ground, I think), then I see no reason why this shouldn't work - without any Frankencables!

Please let me know about the LG cable and mounting ring! The backlight cable should be fine as far as the electronics - it's just a power cable, and from what I've seen, most LCDs have a standard power connector on them. Extending that shouldn't be difficult.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2006, 09:11 PM

shifuimam
Too many parts and not enough sleep.

I was looking at the wrong monitor when I made the post about the mounting ring. The one on the samsung is almost identical to the philips and should work fine . A little trimming for the backlight cable is all that should be required. The backlight cabel is fine also, just a little reroute is all that is needed. I do see that the copper shielding will have to be removed off of the lcd cable and redone so the cable will lay properly and not warp the lcd when the mounting screws are tightened.

If you google the cable # without the 89 on the end you will get a bunch of ebay adds from a British company. From these you can decipher the #s for the different lcds As far as the pin assignments I also got them off google but didn't bookmark them. I did have enough sense to print them though. I'll see if I can find them again. Have you checked with apple to see if the cable can be purchased ?

I'm going to try out the new lcd tonight if I can decide which one of my beloved clamshells I want to sacrifice. Sure hope I don't let the smoke out.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 12:20 AM

I'm sure I could find a replacement cable, either through Apple or a Mac reseller. Of course, both of those places will charge a seriously overinflated premium, and I can't afford to spend more than about $20 on another cable...I've seen some of the hard-to-find ones (like this one) go for upwards of $50 on eBay. That's just a little too much.

Keep us posted on what happens with your attempt! I hope we're getting close...

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 02:25 AM

No smoke ! It works ! Kind of. I put it on a 466 with OS9 and the thing fired right up. Problem was the desktop only covered aprox 3/4 of the display . Went to displays in controll panel and 800X600 was still the highest resolution. Everything else about the computer seemed to be normal

Getting close. Need help

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 08:38 AM

You may need to reinstall OS 9. Unfortunately, while I am gaining increasing intermediate to advanced experience with 10.3, I don't own a copy of OS 9 and have never used it in my life.

There's a kext you can edit in OS 10 (I'm pretty sure there is, that is...) that allows you to add extra resolutions to what the OS auto-detects.

You might try booting off the OS 9 CD or booting off an Ubuntu LiveCD. If you can boot into Ubuntu and change the resolution to 1024x768 there, then we can be pretty confident that the LCD is giving the logic board the right information; we just need to figure out how to make Apple's OS see that.

Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2006, 02:25 PM

WOW! I just found this thread and read all the way through and it looks like we're about to make a major breakthrough. randy.r, can you post pics of what it looks like? I think if we could find out exactly what needs to be edited we would be set. I have a clamshell that I've highly upgraded and hopefully i could point out a few things not related to the screen, but useful if you want some (semi) extreme upgrades.

First, I installed a 40GB 7,200RPM hard drive in mine without a hitch. I don't know about it's impact on the battery, as I don't use the battery that much, but I did notice a large speed increase.

Second, as said earlier, just about any 512MB stick will work just fine. I managed to snag a deal on mine for only $30 shipped and it works perfectly in the unit.

Third, the absolute easiest way to install tiger on one of these machines (mine is this SE graphite model without firewire) is to simply install it on your new harddrive with a different machine beforehand. Just make sure it's (obviously) a PPC mac and that it has the features (DVD etc) that you want, and then you can simply pop it into your clamshell and go! (Next on my to buy list is a 466 graphite to get the ultimate )

Finally, randy.r, could you describe exactly what is required to do the mod as you did it? From what it sounds like, all we would need to do is modify the kext file and then we would be set. What is the exact model of the LCD required and besides that are there any special extra cables etc that would be required. Thanks.

If anyone else has any other clamshell upgrade questions, I'd love to help if i can, and I'm definitely interested in getting this working! Also, someone mentioned earlier in this thread that there was a place where you could buy untested 466s on ebay, could someone redirect me to that seller? Thanks!
Macbook (White): 2Ghz/2GB/160GB 5400/SD/AE/10.5
Powerbook (15"): 1.5Ghz/1.5GB/60GB 5400/SD/AE/10.5
iBook (Clam): 466Mhz/576MB/40GB 7200/CD/AP/10.4

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2006, 11:44 PM

I was the one who got the untested 466MHz Graphite on eBay for $40 shipped. Unfortunately, it would appear that seller has finally gotten rid of his stock - he had over 100 if I recall correctly. I also do not remember the eBay username of the seller. Sorry!!

What about that 512MB RAM you found for $30? Is that deal still around, or did you just get lucky?

As far as the LCD, from what I can tell from randy.r, you need the LG clamshell LCD cable (which I haven't found at all on eBay and can't find for less than $40 elsewhere online) and a Samsung 12" XGA LCD. The model found in 12" G3/G4 white iBooks I believe will work. My LCD came from a Compaq laptop, and is actually a nearly identical model. The model numbers have been mentioned/discussed multiple times in this thread. The white iBooks use a Samsung LTN121X1-L02. My Compaq LCD is an LTN121X-JL03. Both use the same connector on the LCD end, but my LCD cable is slightly different.

Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2006, 07:28 AM

Okay, sounds good enough, hopefully we can find a stock of them somewhere. As for the RAM, unfortunately that was one of those one time deals. I saw it, and immediately bought it . It's all about scouting. I got my airport card for around 50 bucks that way too .

Also, one of these days I'll have to take apart my clam LCD and see what kind it is. randy.r, do you perhaps know which type of clamshell that was from or does that not really matter because they used different ones for all of them. Thanks.
( Last edited by Maxwell Smart; Dec 3, 2006 at 08:34 AM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 10:33 AM

I should add that I've done a little research, and the thing you can do to force a display resolution is only available in OS X 10.4. The file was /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.Apple.boot.plist, and you could set a specific resolution for when the computer boots. This is a mod frequently done by people running Intel-compatible Tiger on non-Apple hardware when there are problems getting OS X to recognize the video card and/or display's maximum resolution capability.

I'm not seeing anything yet on how to force resolution in 10.3. I know that I can install Tiger via Target Disk Mode on my boyfriend's 12" PB G4, but I'm still under the impression that Tiger runs noticeably slower than Panther on these things, so for now I'm sticking with what I have installed.

It could very well be that reinstalling OS X will allow XGA resolution. When I swapped out the 300MHz board in my iBook with the 466Mhz board, OS X booted up just fine, but I still couldn't install DVD Player or play DVDs in VLC without dropping frames. I had to reinstall in order for OS X to recognize the upgraded video adapter.

I still will also suggest trying a Linux LiveCD. Ubuntu is one of the only distros I know of with a PowerPC-compatible release. I believe Debian may also have one. If we can boot off a LiveCD and successfully change the resolution to 1024x768 there, then we know that everything is connected and communicating properly, and it's just up to the OS to figure out the resolution.

Dell provides different resolution options for some of their laptops. When I got my D600 several years ago, I was able to upgrade from the standard XGA to SXGA+ (1400x1050). Windows XP is able to recognize different resolutions without need for third-party video drivers, and my theory is that the LCD is telling the video adapter what its maximum resolution actually is.

Only one way to find out...

Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2006, 11:53 AM

Yeah, sounds like a plan. My experience with Panther vs. Tiger is very different. As long as you aren't installing with hacks (xpostfacto) , it should be a lot faster then Panther. I also disabled dashboard to save some cpu and ram. It just runs smoother because of the optimizations. I'd highly recommend over panther.

EDIT: Also, randy.r, do you have any extra 466 Graphites lying around that you could send a clamshell lover / hacker? i've already put a lot of money into mine but I'd like to get this to work. Also, if you have any of those iBook LCD panels extra if we find out that they do work Oh, and if you wanna take pics and show them here, just use the free quick service at ImageShack® - Hosting so everyone in the thread can see um.
( Last edited by Maxwell Smart; Dec 3, 2006 at 01:50 PM. )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2006, 05:54 PM

Left my test mule installing 10 4 updates yesterday. will get back to it tommorow and try shifuimam' fix.
I have seen 3 philips lcds to this date and they have all been in graphite 466's. If thats what you have it would be worth checking.

Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2006, 07:26 PM

Nah, I have a 366 like it says in my sig, if you'd be willing to sell me a gutted 466 graphite in good shape I would be much obliged That way I'd have the upgraded board and the cable to do the later transplant I could easily just swap in all my parts (RAM hd, airport, battery etc)
( Last edited by Maxwell Smart; Dec 3, 2006 at 07:48 PM. )

Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2006, 08:06 PM

Okay, i have a Samsung LTN121X1-L02 lined up for 30 shipped. Just waiting to hear the word from you randy.r that it's supported and I'll grab it

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 08:38 AM

That's an excellent price for a working LCD. If it's a limited-time deal (e.g. eBay auction or something similar), buy it now. If it turns out the project dead-ends, you can sell it on eBay and get what you paid for it or possibly more.

At this point, we know the LCD works and we know the cable works. We need to figure out the resolution, but I am pretty sure that reinstalling OS X will take care of that.

The hard part is finding the right cable for sale - there are a lot of these Samsung LCDs out there...

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 08:39 AM

Same message as above. Oops!

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 08:40 AM

This message posted twice - don't know why.

Forum Links
Forum Rules