Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > MacBook Mods List

MacBook Mods List
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2007, 12:07 AM

I compiled a list of all the MacBook and MacBook Pro mods and hacks that I could find online. The list is available here:

MacBook Mods and Hacks

As of now the list includes:
- Biometrics thumb reader mod for the MacBook Pro
- Dvorak keyboard hack for the white MacBook
- Matte panel mod for the black Macbook
- Apple logo mod to get the MacBook's Apple logo to glow any color you want
- Keyboard mods by several different people who combined black and white keyboards

I'm going to continue adding to the list as I find new hacks and mods that might be out there.
If you know of a mod that I missed please let me know

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2007, 12:54 PM

You can mod the logo to glow different colors. I remember someone selling professionally made vinyl covers for the logo that colorized the light depending on which you chose. Remember, not everything has to be built in. In fact, I do remember reading something about an external biometric reader. If you're serious about it, look around.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2007, 12:58 PM

To be honest I think the biometrics reader was a very wasteful mod because they are extremely easy to hack. Simply rubbing your fingers with sandpaper will fool half the thumb readers out there.

Senior User
Oct 5, 2007, 10:50 PM

I feel a bit like a noob for asking this, but what might be the "Dvorak keyboard hack for the white MacBook?"

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by @pplejaxkz View Post
I feel a bit like a noob for asking this, but what might be the "Dvorak keyboard hack for the white MacBook?"
The keyboard you are using right now is probably QWERTY. Dvorak is a slightly different type of keyboard layout - dvorak - Google Image Search
Apple doesn't ship keyboards with a dvorak layout so that MacBook owner switched the keys manually.

Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2007, 07:39 PM

Simply switching the keys on a MacBook won't make it recognize Dvorak. What's the software hack?
Signature depreciated.

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Simply switching the keys on a MacBook won't make it recognize Dvorak. What's the software hack?
No hack required, Mac OS X supports it out of the box: Just go to System Preferences > International > Input Menu and select "Dvorak".

Forum Links
Forum Rules