Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > region-free (RPC1) UJ-816 powerbook G4 won't install leopard from DVD

region-free (RPC1) UJ-816 powerbook G4 won't install leopard from DVD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 03:57 PM

I successfully ran the RPC1 firmware upgrade for Matsujita UJ-816 from powerbook-fr.com on my powerbook G4 1.25 superdrive in OS X 10.4.11. I wanted to do this before switching to leopard just in case, since I knew it would work fine in tiger. Now the Leopard install DVD won't run the installation, will say that there is something wrong with the installation DVD. Two different Leopard installation DVDs from the tech department that work fine otherwise give this error message, so it is probably not the DVDs. The tech guys will now try to install leopard from an external dvd drive. hope it works.

any comments? otherwise just a note.

Administrator
Jan 29, 2008, 08:06 AM

Does the drive work for any DVD at all? Maybe the firmware upgrade hosed it...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2008, 09:15 PM

thanks for answering. DVDs run just fine. Meanwhile I found that it does the same thing with the external firewire DVD drive. well. not a firmware issue, it seems.

I can install, I just can't keep the users.

I have two partitions on my hard drive with a system each in case I need to use tiger. maybe the easy-installer doesn't like that, or doesnt like something else, who knows. I'll go look in the leopard install section but will check back here in case you have something to say.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2008, 10:37 PM

ok, I found that someone has fixed the "source media is damaged" problem by putting back the old ram. Other people haven't fixed the problem that or another way. When I made an upgrade instead of archive and install, installation finished but I ended up needing to import all the users anyway. So I have my system and hope it's going to be ok.

My RPC1 drive will gray out the "preserve users and network settings" option, whereas the external drive won't. That's the only thing that pertains to RPC1.
( Last edited by gurubeatles; Jan 29, 2008 at 11:37 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules