Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > replacing my hard drive

replacing my hard drive
Dec 13, 2008, 01:18 AM

hey guys i'm trying to replace my hard drive because my old one crapped out on me... Is there any site that can explain how to do this I have an imac that's 3 yrs old.. Also if someone can tell me what kind I need like the demensions that would Be great

Administrator
Dec 13, 2008, 05:03 AM

We need to know your model of Mac. A 3-year-old iMac is probably an iMac G5, but we need to know for sure it isn't an iMac G4 - the HD type and install instructions are totally different.

Go to the Apple menu -> About This Mac -> More Info... button

Apple System Profiler will open to the Hardware Overview pane. Copy and paste us the info from that pane, except for the serial number on the end - we don't need that.

Dec 14, 2008, 10:50 AM

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version: 1.8f2

thanks for all ur time by the way.. this has just been such a hassle. im thinking about taking my mac back to the mac store to have someone else look at it because one guy worked there told me it was my hard drive and he said it was a piece of cake to install. so now im thinking maybe he meant something else is failing and he mistakenly told me it was my hard drive. any help with that would also be appreciated

Administrator
Dec 14, 2008, 04:28 PM

Your iMac is 2 years old, and it's Intel-based. This is a pity, because the iMac G5s were a breeze to access & change the hard drive.

Yours is a Late 2006 iMac, and reaching the HD is not a trivial exercise. It takes a standard SATA 3.5" drive, but Apple does not provide user instructions for the installation. If you're still under AppleCare, you should take it to Apple or an Apple-authorized service provider for the upgrade, or you'll void your warranty.

If it's out of warranty, then you can do it yourself or let anyone else try it. The front panel needs to come off, then the easily-torn EMI shield, then pull the display panel. I'll let someone else comment on the details, since I've never laid hands on this model, much less attempted the upgrade.

Dec 19, 2008, 03:44 PM

well im still waiting for somebody to point me in the right direction. its out of warrenty and the mac store wants 400 bucks to fix it which is not gunna happen. does anyone know of any where that has step by step instructions for me. also how different is the set up between early 2006 macs and late 2006 macs. i found instructions for the early macs and want to know if its the same.

Senior User
Jan 4, 2009, 12:50 AM

I've been debating upgrading the drive in my machine for a fair amount of time but the installation is definitely a bear... though manageable if you have some experience and have the patience

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzuBW3mu7LI

http://jasontomczak.com/2007/11/23/4/

These are 2 guides that apply to your model.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Jan 26, 2009, 02:08 PM

I'm not sure about the rules about Apple's Service Source manuals. I may not be allowed by moderators to post a link to them but if you spend some time doing a google search, people have posted these manuals that have step by step instructions with pictures for replacing things such as a hard drive.

Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2009, 01:21 PM

The process is not as hard as it looks if approached carefully. The case can be fiddley to open at the top if the two latches catch and some courage is needed here. The LCD is attached via 4 torx screws (2 on each side), underneath the various cables get a bit fiddley (you need t pull the video cable from the motherboard (two tiny torx screws).

Watch out for the isight cables and the inverter. After that the HDD itself is pretty easy. You'll need to reattach the heat sensor with rubber cement.

Total time is around 45mins for a first go. Try not to have any screws left over.

step by step here: http://doctorhappymac.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html

Senior User
Feb 28, 2009, 05:50 PM

I am once again debating this upgrade... perhaps in the summer when I have the time. Nice outline Dr. Happy Mac, between that and the pics at the site you link to and the one I linked to I'm feeling reasonably confident... hell, how much worse can it be than my Macbook Pro and I managed to replace the hard drive in that successfully.

Administrator
Feb 28, 2009, 08:43 PM

I've since done this upgrade in an iMac G5 iSight - the procedure looks almost the same as for the x86 iMac the OP has. It can be done if you work carefully and are not in a hurry. However, I don't recommend it for anyone who's impatient.

Use an old credit card to undo the upper latches, and it may help you peel the EMI shield off the display. You'll need some torx screwdrivers along the way. Along with a vacuum with a soft brush implement - it's going to be filthy in there. You'll want to remove the dust as you expose it, to prevent it from contaminating the glue on the EMI shield.

If you do go for the upgrade, I'd suggest putting in a 1 TB drive, or that new WD 2 TB drive. Something big, so you aren't tempted to do the upgrade again anytime soon. Don't put in the Seagate 1.5 TB drive - I keep seeing bad reliability reports about that series (7200.11).

Senior User
Feb 28, 2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Use an old credit card to undo the upper latches, and it may help you peel the EMI shield off the display. You'll need some torx screwdrivers along the way. Along with a vacuum with a soft brush implement - it's going to be filthy in there. You'll want to remove the dust as you expose it, to prevent it from contaminating the glue on the EMI shield.

If you do go for the upgrade, I'd suggest putting in a 1 TB drive, or that new WD 2 TB drive. Something big, so you aren't tempted to do the upgrade again anytime soon. Don't put in the Seagate 1.5 TB drive - I keep seeing bad reliability reports about that series (7200.11).
Nice tip with the vacuuming... The 7200.11 seagates are a mess, I've got a 1TB in an external enclosure that I hope is not affected, I am likely to put in one of those nice, fast, single platter 640GB drives either from Seagate or WD or Hitachi or Samsung since everybody seems to be having quality control issues lately. I want a drive that is just as quiet too, that's pretty important actually, but we'll have to see what is available when I finally get around to it all... maybe I will wait for Snow Leopard too, lol... excuses excuses

Forum Links
Forum Rules