Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 202 votes (31.91%)
Nintendo Wii 328 votes (51.82%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.65%)
None 34 votes (5.37%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 633. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 102)
Thread Tools
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 12:30 PM
 
I'd blame Nintendo. It appears they added just enough storage to fit their needs. How would this be the developers fault?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 12:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Well Harmonix has stated that it's Nintendo's fault there's no online play or DLC, and that the console wasn't powerful enough to handle some of the features of the other systems.
I'm not surprised they blame Nintendo. Now...ive never worked for a publishing house, so like... was it Nintendo's responsibility to develop the DLC and online play features of this third-party(third rate) developer ?

Last i checked other third parties are offering online play(MoHH, GH3, etc.. ) and DLC(VC and WiiWare) to the Wii ... am i to understand that Nintendo developed those features for them ?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 12:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I'd blame Nintendo. It appears they added just enough storage to fit their needs. How would this be the developers fault?
Well you can blame Nintendo for not having the AMOUNT of storage you want, and i too think that 512MB(even with SD expansion) is a little small for a 4 year lifecycle. But storage is there and RBWii could have had DLC IF THE DEVELOPERS INCLUDED IT (as well as online play, since it is free on the Wii) Nothing about the console's design would prevent someone from downloading or playing online, unless of course each DLC item for RB is over 512MB. thats my opinion on the matter.

And also, the Wii version is identical in everyway to the PS2 version, so it's apparent that it is a dirty port, with no additional features to take advantage of the Wii. if the developer doesn't program the possible enhancements into the product, why is that Nintendo's fault ?

Nintendo put out a platform with storage and a Wireless internet connection. If you ask me Nintendo's done it's part.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 12:53 PM
 
Nintendo did NOT include an ethernet port. I don't use wireless for gaming. I want as big of a fat pipe as I can. They also included crappy storage.

So it seems to me that Nintendo did their HALF ASSED part.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 12:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Well you can blame Nintendo for not having the AMOUNT of storage you want, and i too think that 512MB(even with SD expansion) is a little small for a 4 year lifecycle. But storage is there and RBWii could have had DLC IF THE DEVELOPERS INCLUDED IT (as well as online play, since it is free on the Wii) Nothing about the console's design would prevent someone from downloading or playing online, unless of course each DLC item for RB is over 512MB. thats my opinion on the matter.
It's poorly informed. Each RB song is roughly 20-30 MB. At 25 MB that's 20 songs and your storage is already full. RB has been releasing 3 or more songs per week since its release in November, with plans for at least two full albums. We're nowhere close to what you'd need, even if you only like 1/2 of the songs released thus far.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 01:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Nintendo did NOT include an ethernet port. I don't use wireless for gaming. I want as big of a fat pipe as I can. They also included crappy storage.

So it seems to me that Nintendo did their HALF ASSED part.
if 802.11b speeds do not provide sufficient bandwidth from your console to your router for a game to be played online, there is something wrong with the game, not the connection nor the console. ive been playing(very sparingly, cause im not a hardcore gamer) online games on my Mac via WiFi and they all performed just fine.

As far as storage, i agree that 512Mb is small, especially since each VC game is not just the 'ROM', but the actual program to run the 'ROM' as well (which makes them quite big). That being said.... Excite Truck, a launch game for the Wii, had no problem accessing the SD card to load MP3 files for in-game music. and last i checked the SD cards support 2GB.

So while 512 is small, if you wanted to download DLC content for RBWii, you could (being the gamer nerds you are) pick up a 2GB SD card, and download quite a lot of content....... that is assuming the RBWii guys had actually put the effort into develop it (instead of delay the release with no additional features over the PS2 version).

Like i said, this is a prime example of lazy developers, bringing too little too late to the table. And of course they wont take responsibility...it would be a PR mess, so lets blame Nintendo, eventhough the system provides a wireless internet connection with bandwidth greater than most home broadband connections in the U.S. (wired), and storage expandibility that was taken advantage of by launch titles!

No, it was the RBWii guys fault for not including these features, not Nintendo. if a company releases crap on a platform by not developing key features, while other companies release products with those missing features on the same platform, you cannot blame the platform for the bad product. think about it for awhile.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 16, 2008 at 01:35 PM. )
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 01:34 PM
 
OMG you're such an apologist. You're putting the responsibility on the CONSUMER to drop extra money on more storage rather than blaming Nintendo for not keeping up with modern consoles in the first place.

And on top of that, you NEGLECT to mention the fact that Nintendo didn't put hard drive storage in their machines in the first place. The reason? Their own stupid shortsightedness.

So, let's keep score:

MacNN gamers who said the Wii should have HD: 1, Nintendo: 0
MacNN gamers who said that the Wii should have more storage: 1, Nintendo: 0
MacNN gamers who said the Wii should have ethernet: 1, Nintendo: 0

So that's a score of 3-0, favoring smart MacNN readers who can now say "told you so".

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 01:43 PM
 
jeeze.... since you put it that way, i better run out and buy a XB360 or PS3 because a Wii+2GBSD card is so inconveniently expensive lol.

Oh and most of us 'dupes'(about 2-3X the installed base of the competitors) who bought a Wii didn't have a problem buying SD cards for our cameras, so im sure we can figure out how to buy and put an SD card into a Wii.

Im not a Nintendo apologist just because i can make a clear distinction from who made the console with an internet connection and storage options, and the company which wrote the software that does not support either of those features.

PS>> Thats all i have to say about that. im not into rhythm games anyway, let alone half-assed ports of rhythm games from lazy developers.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 16, 2008 at 01:51 PM. )
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 01:48 PM
 
Where can I find the console numbers for just the US? Google didn't give me any obvious (or current) links.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 01:49 PM
 
I found them on Neowin in the gaming section. I have no idea why US numbers are always so hard to find.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 01:51 PM
 
Thanks, checking now...
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 01:54 PM
 
Next Generation - Interactive Entertainment Today, Video Game and Industry News - Home of Edge Online

Check out the above. they usually publish NPD and other data and analyze it as well. they seem reputable.

As far as the U.S., i think someone estimated that the Wii will overtake the XB360 before the end of summer 08 or something (dont quote me). worldwide, im sure the Wii is ahead.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 16, 2008 at 02:18 PM. )
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 01:56 PM
 
The most current thing I could find this.



Edit: WHile I agree the Wii is on pace to pass the 360, I could see GTA getting in the way of that happening by summer. What big games are left for the Wii to release?
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 02:00 PM
 
Ah, even better:

     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 02:09 PM
 
-Well BR-DVD just won, so thats going to lead to some slowdown of XB30 sales imo.

-Nintendo's got Wii Fit for the casuals (im not into it), which i am sure will move a lot of consoles. (predictions of 700k unit sales this month and next). And Mario Kart Wii (which will be my first home console Mario Kart (it's got 12 player online play, i wonder how they managed that without a wired connection, care to comment starman?)). WiiWare is coming up as well. and those are just the first party efforts from now to the end of summer.

-The XB360 has yet another 'killing simulator'(GTAIV) to add to it's already large library of the like, which is fine, i know GTAIV resonates with the core XB360/PS3 audience. Will it move consoles ? or will it be like Halo3 where mostly existing XB360 owners picked it up (ie will it be a console seller?). I remember when Halo3 launched...i was expecting it to be a major console pusher, but it garnered a pretty insignificant lead over the Wii for that month (i dont remember the exact numbers). The question is... does the XB360 have any console sellers coming out to match Nintendo's first party efforts ?

PS>> Dakar, those graphs represent U.S. sales only, correct ?
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 16, 2008 at 02:20 PM. )
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 02:10 PM
 
What's the killing simulator?
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: T •
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 02:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Ah, even better:

Funny thing is 70% of the people I know with wii's are girls who have never owned a game system before.

Out of all the people I know with a wii 90% of them never play it except for the first week they got it or when friends are over. Also none of them have bought more than 1 or 2 games tops.

Everyone I know with a 360 liked it but now are also lusting for a PS3.

All the PS3 owners I know are happy strangely enough but some also have a 360.

The wii might be the hot selling system right now because it is cheap as hell and a good party system but in terms of games or 3rd party titles it is close to gamecube territory. Not to mention it is beyond pathetic you still can't find a system in stores after all this time. I mean how hard is it to make 5 year old tecnology and still not get enough in stores a year after the fact. Every store I talked too said they get 5 systems at a time and they sell out right away so it isn't like Nintendo is shipping them 500 a shot and they sell overnight.

I know down the road the PS3 will outsell the 360 for sure and the wii will level off as the trendiness is fading.

The game I look most forward too this year are on the PS3 like little big planet.

The only game I am buying for my Wii over the next year will be Mario Cart and it has NOTHING new to it other than motorbikes that act the same as cars and a plastic wheel that makes driving harder but different.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 03:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
The wii might be the hot selling system right now because it is cheap as hell and a good party system but in terms of games or 3rd party titles it is close to gamecube territory. Not to mention it is beyond pathetic you still can't find a system in stores after all this time. I mean how hard is it to make 5 year old tecnology and still not get enough in stores a year after the fact. Every store I talked too said they get 5 systems at a time and they sell out right away so it isn't like Nintendo is shipping them 500 a shot and they sell overnight.
"Pathetic". Well whats more pathetic?

-being sold out of a "5 year old technology"(even though its only 18 months old) product which is being sold at a profit.

OR

-not being able to entice customers with "current state of the art" technology being sold at a loss(below cost).

if you were a company, which position would you like to be in ?

As far as third party games and software sales for the Wii..... Umm...sorry mate that debate died out with the 2-gamecubes-duct-taped-together = Wii debate a longgg time ago.

Software sales per system are in line with(if not surpassing) an equally old system, the PS3. Check out the site i've linked above, you'll be able to find stats that apply to a much larger demographic that your circle of friends, which i think is a much better sample.

BEST SELLING GAMES - THE ANALYSIS : Next Generation - Interactive Entertainment Today, Video Game and Industry News - Home of Edge Online
*pay close attention to the number of exclusives on Nintendo's platforms and software sales on Nintndo's platforms

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 16, 2008 at 03:25 PM. )
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 03:29 PM
 
Dude, seriously.....

The fanboyism is pathetic. The popularity of the Wii is dwindling fast. SWG is right - very few games for the Wii are coming out this year. I have NONE on preorder. I'm picking up Gran Turismo 5 today, GTA IV comes out very soon. The only, and I mean ONLY saving grace the Wii has this year is Star Wars: Force Unleashed, but they removed SO MUCH out of the game for the Wii port (yes, it's a port of the PS2 version), that it's not worth the trouble to get the Wii controller working as a lightsaber. Maybe I'll get it used a year afterwards, but I'm going for either the PS3 or 360 version.

And that is where the Wii falls short - features. As far as modern gaming goes, it's a piece of **** with a sprinkle of perfume on it. Seriously. It offers NOTHING as far as gameplay goes. Mario on the N64 is still better than Mario Galaxy. Zelda OoT is still leaps and bounds better than Zelda: TP. And why? Because the games SUCKED. You put sucky games on a system that nobody can buy, what are you left with?

Is THAT that position I'd want my company to be in?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 03:55 PM
 
My buddy andy spends more time playing VC than any Wii game bought. Besides when me and my g/f come over and play Wii Sports.

Oh yeah his g/f was the biggest pusher for getting the Wii and <drumroll> it's the first system she has ever owned.

Rock Band being pathetically limited shows perfectly the shortcomings of that system. I originally wanted a Wii, but after giving it some though I'd rather save for a PS3 to compliment my 360.

Edit: 2gb SD card, lolz, what a joke. The original Xbox had a 5 gig HD, ****in' Nintendo.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 04:08 PM
 
Well you(and many others) have been predicting Nintendo's impending doom for like almost 2 console generations now. First it was the GameCube, then the NintendoDS and now the Wii.

If and when they do go into the red(like Microsoft and Sony are with they consoles right now) then i will have no problem admitting that their choices were bad ones. But until that happens it's apparent that they are riding a huge wave.

All fanboyism aside, and i mean all fanboyism..... Nintendo has been outperforming every analyst for the last few years. First you said they would never be able to sell the DS nor the Wii...then when that prediction failed..... you(and others) labeled it a "fad"... we're about 35-40% through the current console lifecycle, and they're still at the top of the charts that qualifies to more than a fad in my opnion.

We constantly hear you(and other fanboys of other platforms) predicting that Nintendo's doom is justttt around the corner...... show me ANY indication(numbers not opinions) that Nintendo is even heading in that direction.

I have no problem admitting im a Nintendo fanboy because i personally love their products, but i have no problem switching into analyst mode to evaluate how the companies are performing, and it's clear that Nintendo has been doing a lot better than any of it's competitors over the past 24-36 months.

Just say you dont like the company nor it's products, and thats fine. but dont assume that noone else would like it either. I appreciate that HD graphics and multi-core processing power have greater value to you, but dont assume that everyone else puts the same value on those features, many others, like myself, are into interfaces when it comes to gaming.

So yeah, im still waiting for the PS3 or XB360 to overtake the weekest console...the Wii. And correct me if i'm wrong, but it's software that sells hardware, and every console generation in the past...the weekest console has always won(marketshare).

Ugh why am i even in this debate...nothing you guys say has changed the fact that the Wii is #1 now.

Carry on
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 16, 2008 at 04:18 PM. )
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 04:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
It's poorly informed. Each RB song is roughly 20-30 MB. At 25 MB that's 20 songs and your storage is already full. RB has been releasing 3 or more songs per week since its release in November, with plans for at least two full albums. We're nowhere close to what you'd need, even if you only like 1/2 of the songs released thus far.
FYI, half of the 512mb is not available to the user, so you can at max get around 10 songs that way. And Harmonix couldn't use the SD slot because of read times (when was the last time you tried copying a game to/from the SD card?) and DRM issues.

All Nintendo would have to do is sell a USB hard drive and all would be happy. But they're too busy counting the yen to see what gamers really want...

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 04:16 PM
 
Dude, I haven't been predicting anything.

I don't care how much money Nintendo makes or how many Wiis sell, lest we forget the install base of Windows? Or how many Ford Pintos were sold? Or how about Mylie Ray Cyrus being the #1 grossing act of 2007? By your standards I should throw away my Mars Volta albums for the item that sold the best. People are idiots, people buy into fads like crazed maniacs. I see the Wii being such a fad. Maybe it'll go down as one of the highest selling consoles of all time, doesn't matter, what are the f**kin GAMES like man? 512 MB internal memory...are you kidding me? Most phones have more memory than that, it's laughable.

I'm judging the system on GAMING, something you yourself admit to not be a hardcore fan of. All the sales in the world don't make up for piss poor DLC, or internal memory, or bastardized ports of games that are better on PS2.

For a real console gamer the Wii isn't attractive, that's it, that's all. I had more interest in the GC than the Wii.

Again, don't rebut this with how many consoles Nintendo sells or how much profit they are making. This isn't a thread about being and excellent business, it's a thread about gaming, pure and simple.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 04:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
All Nintendo would have to do is sell a USB hard drive and all would be happy. But they're too busy counting the yen to see what gamers really want...
My point exactly. Making millions does not equal making a quality product.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 04:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
My point exactly. Making millions does not equal making a quality product.
So the PS2 or iPod are not necessarily good products, right ?

It's strange how when it was the PS2 vs GCN i was using the same arguments you are using now and vice versa, and now when it's the Wii vs PS360 the arguments have switched between us.

Ok so pick your benchmark for a better gaming console....
-market share
-library(quantity)
-exclusives
.
.
Anything factual(not opinion related) and then compare the 3. and if you still reach the same conclusion.... then using the exactly same arguments, you should have no problem admitting that the GameCube was the better console last gen. right ?

I have no problem in you hating the Wii. just be consistent, dont use an argument when it supports your fanboyism. i have no problem admitting that the PS2 was probably a better console in terms of exclusives, marketshare, etc... than the gamecube, but personally the games on the GCN appealed more to me.

Cheers

PS>> i was referring my previous post to starman, not you.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 16, 2008 at 04:43 PM. )
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 04:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
So the PS2 or iPod are not necessarily good products, right ?
Are you daft??? He means that just because a product makes money doesn't necessarily make it good. That doesn't mean the two are mutually exclusive.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Ok so pic your benchmark for a better gaming console....
-market share
-library(quantity)
-exclusives
How about:
1. Console performance
2. Features gamers demand
3. Large library of QUALITY titles

The Gamecube was a good console with some great games that was plagued by a "kiddie" reputation. It had probably 2 of those features. The PS2 had all three. The Wii has none. The PS3 has 2, and the 360 as at least 2 (some would say 3).

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 05:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Are you daft??? He means that just because a product makes money doesn't necessarily make it good. That doesn't mean the two are mutually exclusive.
Not daft, just a bit confused as different sets of rules apply to different companies, so it' difficult to understand what one is looking for in a product, when their mind is already made up as to which company to support. Thats all.

Oh and... the Wii is the PS2 of this generation, and the PS3 is the GameCube. As far as power, games, marketshare, exlclusive titles, third party support, etc...

And so the dudes who argued that the PS2 was a "better" console than the GCN, should feel right at home with the Wii, because....
-it's the weekest like the PS2
-largest library like the PS2 ("quality" is .... opinionated. do you understand the difference?)
-many exclusives

so unless they are complete Sony fanboys, i see no problem in supporting the Wii (eventhough the Wii is doing just fine without their support).

Hardware is not a good reason in my opinion to buy a console, cause i thought "it was all about the games". and seeing as how there are so few good ones on the PS3, that argument falls flat.

This discussion is so very stale. If you are a Microsoft fanboy or Sony fanboy you will never admit that Nintendo is giving gamers(people who play video games, not just nerds) what they want, and hence they are doing so well and selling so much hardware and software.

And no, it's not like Windows where it commands a monopoly as far as operating systems, so that argument wont work. This industry gets to start over every 4-5 years, and you more-or-less have all competitors starting off at the same point. It just so happens that Nintendo, despite one competitors head start, has taken the lead. And so in the case of an industry which reinvents itself every 4-5 years....a #1 selling product is quiet possibly the better product.

Cya.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 05:10 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
So the PS2 or iPod are not necessarily good products, right ?
Right, glad you understand now. Of course we all know the iPod and PS2 were fantastic products for their respective categories.

In regards to the PS2 it had the best games (most desirable) and the most games. The Wii doesn't have either.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Ok so pick your benchmark for a better gaming console....
-market share
-library(quantity)
-exclusives
None of those, with slight exception to exclusive titles. Having the most games doesn't mean squat unless a good portion of those are excellent games to boot. Market Share is pointless to me because I never buy anything based upon how many other jackasses bought it. Exclusive titles is a saving grace because it shows dediation to a certain platform by developers, which is important.

It would be impossible to rate the games of each system against eachother in any meaningful way. But I will say this...so far your argument has been one of Wii sales and market share. My argument for 360 comes from the games I've played. Have you nothing to say about the awesome titles that you can't stop playing day after day?

I know the only thing that keeps me away from a 360 game is another 360 game.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 07:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Oh and... the Wii is the PS2 of this generation, and the PS3 is the GameCube. As far as power, games, marketshare, exlclusive titles, third party support, etc...
That doesn't make any sense. In fact the consoles of this generation cannot be readily compared to the consoles of last generation. Last generation there was one console that was WAY ahead of the others in sales, with the other two fighting for second place. This generation it's a much closer race, but with an obvious first place, an obvious second place, and an obvious third (at this point). The only way you can say the Wii is like the PS2 of this generation is that it's the leading seller. After that the comparisons just don't come close...

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
And so the dudes who argued that the PS2 was a "better" console than the GCN, should feel right at home with the Wii, because....
-it's the weekest like the PS2
-largest library like the PS2 ("quality" is .... opinionated. do you understand the difference?)
-many exclusives
It's hard to argue which one was better last generation, since the hardware and graphics capabilities were very similar. For games there were good games on both consoles, although the PS2 definitely had an edge over the other consoles for the number of quality games. Even if you preferred the GCN (as I did), that doesn't make it the leader in great games.

However the hardware gap in this generation is extreme. HD on the 360 and PS3 blow away the graphics on the Wii, hands down. No one can argue that.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
so unless they are complete Sony fanboys, i see no problem in supporting the Wii (eventhough the Wii is doing just fine without their support).
The problem with "supporting" the Wii is that it doesn't offer anything for the typical gamer. Most games have either no or very piss poor online play, and the good games on the Wii are few and far between.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Hardware is not a good reason in my opinion to buy a console, cause i thought "it was all about the games". and seeing as how there are so few good ones on the PS3, that argument falls flat.
You're right. But crappy hardware is a good reason NOT to buy a console.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
This discussion is so very stale. If you are a Microsoft fanboy or Sony fanboy you will never admit that Nintendo is giving gamers(people who play video games, not just nerds) what they want, and hence they are doing so well and selling so much hardware and software.
I am a fanboy of no company, and have owned all three current gen systems. Nintendo is not giving gamers what they want. They are giving the general public what they think they want - but they're not gamers and none of them are in this thread.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
And no, it's not like Windows where it commands a monopoly as far as operating systems, so that argument wont work. This industry gets to start over every 4-5 years, and you more-or-less have all competitors starting off at the same point. It just so happens that Nintendo, despite one competitors head start, has taken the lead. And so in the case of an industry which reinvents itself every 4-5 years....a #1 selling product is quiet possibly the better product.

Cya.
Again, just because it sells the best doesn't necessarily make it better.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: T •
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 10:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
"Pathetic". Well whats more pathetic?

-being sold out of a "5 year old technology"(even though its only 18 months old) product which is being sold at a profit.

OR

-not being able to entice customers with "current state of the art" technology being sold at a loss(below cost).

if you were a company, which position would you like to be in ?
Well that's the kicker then isn't it? Who's best interest are you looking out for? The profit of the company or the beinfit to you the consumer.

I would think that since you and I and 20 million others are the Wii consumer we should be concerned about OUR benifit not the profit margins and market share for the 10,000 odd people working for Nintendo.

But I guess you get a bigger kick out of market share statistics and profitability then better technology and god forbid games.

Personally, I would be happier about more games then how much money Nintendo makes from selling me something. Strange as hell anyone outside of those owning nintendo stock would be more concerned about statistics.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 11:25 PM
 
Comparisons aside, when it comes to consumer electronics, and where no one item has an unfair competitive advantage over its competitors, the #1 selling item, is possibly the better system. it's sort o like democracy where voters vote with their $$$ not their mouths.

Nintendo went from #3 to #1, and i cant think of any monopolistic advantage it had this generation that it didnt have last generation.

Making a comparison with Windows because it has greater market share as well is flawed, because with operating systems where you have only one choice and the company implements monopolistic tactics is not the same with gaming consoles.

So unless democracy in the marketplace is "flawed", the Nintendo DS and Wii are the #1 system to the vast majority of "voters" out there.

Oh and sure profits dont matter to me as a consumer, all i know is it was cheaper and more fun in the end.
Cheers
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 12:03 AM
 
Let's not forget that the PS3 is catching up with the Wii and could surpass it as early as next week. Your fanboyism gets in the way of your logic.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 06:24 AM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Comparisons aside, when it comes to consumer electronics, and where no one item has an unfair competitive advantage over its competitors, the #1 selling item, is possibly the better system.
Possibly is right. And this time the #1 selling item is NOT the better system for gamers.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 09:04 AM
 
Starman: a link to that claim ? it MIGHt outsell the Wii a week here n there, but i doubt it stands any greater chance at catching up with the Wii than the PSP has to catching up with the NintendoDS. *incase you dont know...the Wii has a great installed base than both the XBox360 which is far ahead from the PS3. i say Sony needs to worry about the XB360 now, cause frankly the Wii, like the DS is out of their reach.

jokell: A dedicated video gaming home console(Wii) has found its way into more homes than the PS3 or XB360, meaning more people who want to play games(and thus qualify as gamers to 'normal' people) consciously(i hope) chose the Wii over the PS3/XB360. so if you ask me Nintendo, more than Sony or Microsoft has supplied a system more gamers want. And they are buying a heck of a lot more software than the owners of the other systems. So pray tell, why would so many gamers consciously choose a 'worse'/'bad'/'inferior' console than the PS3/XB360 ? when the playing field was mostly level with the PS3 and in Xbox's favor, when it launched ? what was it that made them purchase a dedicated gaming console over the competition ? (i really would like an answer to this question).

On a different subject, if history is any indications...developers will follow.(and so far many are following).
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 09:21 AM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
jokell: A dedicated video gaming home console(Wii) has found its way into more homes than the PS3 or XB360, meaning more people who want to play games(and thus qualify as gamers to 'normal' people) consciously(i hope) chose the Wii over the PS3/XB360. so if you ask me Nintendo, more than Sony or Microsoft has supplied a system more gamers want. And they are buying a heck of a lot more software than the owners of the other systems. So pray tell, why would so many gamers consciously choose a 'worse'/'bad'/'inferior' console than the PS3/XB360 ? when the playing field was mostly level with the PS3 and in Xbox's favor, when it launched ? what was it that made them purchase a dedicated gaming console over the competition ? (i really would like an answer to this question).
I'm starting to think you're simply delusional. Gamers are choosing the 360 right now. How can I know this? Halo 3 has sold more than any single game on the Wii, despite the lead in consoles. Call of Duty 4 for 360 has sold more than any game for the Wii. The Wii's biggest game is Super Mario Galaxy with 3.4 million copies sold. Halo 3 sold over 5 million copies.

The reason the Wii is selling so well is because of Wii Sports striking a chord with the general non-gaming public. My little sister owns a Wii, and no other consoles. And guess what? She only plays it on rare occasions and only plays Wii sports. The software sales numbers show that she is not alone. Most Wii owners are only playing Wii Sports and first party games. Hell, the only third party game for the Wii that has sold more than a million copies is Guitar Hero 3. That's pretty sad.

Again, Wii Sports is pushing this console to non-gamers. But the gamers aren't fooled and the software sales show it.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 09:33 AM
 
Just like Apple Nintendo is not catering for the hardcore gamer market. God, I thought most non-knuckle dragging simians would have got this into their heads by now. This goes for BOTH sides of this inane "debate"!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 11:34 AM
 
I posted the numbers on the last page, and you commented on it. Now you want me to post it again? Uh, no.

So let's see...

The PSP is beating the living sh*t out of the Wii in Japan, the Wii's home country. The very same country Hawkeye_a and goMac were quoting sales numbers for MONTHS and are no longer quoting. Hmm, why?

jokell says that more copies of Halo 3 sold than any game on the Wii.

And Hawkeye wants us to believe that the Wii is awesome?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 11:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by starman View Post
I posted the numbers on the last page, and you commented on it. Now you want me to post it again? Uh, no.

So let's see...

The PSP is beating the living sh*t out of the Wii in Japan, the Wii's home country. The very same country Hawkeye_a and goMac were quoting sales numbers for MONTHS and are no longer quoting. Hmm, why?

jokell says that more copies of Halo 3 sold than any game on the Wii.

And Hawkeye wants us to believe that the Wii is awesome?
Just an fyi, my numbers were from America only (and from vgchartz.com).

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 11:46 AM
 
Not to mention at any given time there are at least 200K+ people playing matches of Halo 3 on Xbox Live.

Bungie.net says that over the past 24hrs 800K+ separate gamertags logged almost 2 million matches.

COD4 is receiving an equally impressive amount of play as well.

I played Mario Galaxy for 45 minutes and watched it being played for hours. All I can say is that it's easy. It's like all of sudden games are propelled back in time difficulty-wise because there is a 'new' way to interact with them via the Wiimote. I say 'new' with some sarcasm because after using the Wii for some time I honestly don't find the Wiimote to be all that innovative. It's more a gimmick, a gimmick that sold like crazy...just like most gimmicks. Instead of pushing a joystick and hitting "B" you are flicking your wrist and hitting "B."

Meh, I'll take games that push the limits (and win critical acclaim) and a set of analogues over crappy graphics, gimmicky controls, and overall easy gameplay that leaves most people using the Wii only when friends are present.

So as a "group" activity the Wii wins, hands-down. Kinda like board games, something you don't play by yourself but is a hoot when others are around. That isn't what gaming is about. Nintendo invented the group video game system with the Wii, but besides that they have nothing new to offer with the Wii...in fact they have nothing to offer that last-gen systems did.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 02:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by starman View Post
I posted the numbers on the last page, and you commented on it. Now you want me to post it again? Uh, no.

So let's see...

The PSP is beating the living sh*t out of the Wii in Japan, the Wii's home country. The very same country Hawkeye_a and goMac were quoting sales numbers for MONTHS and are no longer quoting. Hmm, why?

jokell says that more copies of Halo 3 sold than any game on the Wii.

And Hawkeye wants us to believe that the Wii is awesome?
The PSP is outselling the Wii in japan ? for like maybe 4 weeks ? ohh nooooo... Nintendo is teh doomed !!!
wait wait..here's another one. the PS2 has been outselling the XB360 since it launched in Japan lol..now thats funny lol.

Fact of the matter is the NintendoDS has an about a 2-1 lead(at the least) over the PSP (we're talking millions here) in worldwide sales. So a couple of weeks here and there where the PSP sells a few more thousands in one region wont really put a dent in the NintendoDS just yet, so theres no need to go counting your chickens.

The Wii has a outsold the XB360 and PS3 since it's launch(worldwide monthly sales), and it overtook the XB360 in total unit sales sometime last year, and will overtake it on XB360's home turf in the next couple of months, so i'd double check your source(if your opinion counts).

That makes #1 home console = Nintendo's Wii. The #1 handheld the Nintendo DS. By Millions, so...um whoppie, get bak to us when that #1 and #2 spots change, not in weekly or monthly sales, but in lifetime, worldwide sales.

I'm sick of you fanboys finding the most insignificant of reasons to praise Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo has gone from #3 to #1 and Sony from #1 to #3 in a matter of 18 months.

my advice to you:
Spend less time playing shoot-em-ups, and a little time doing some basic math to determine which number is greater than the other before making completely stupid claims.

And with that..i'll let you "gamers" get on with it, and ill be back when the XB360 or PS3 replace the Wii at #1 or when the PSP replaces the NintendoDS at the #1 handheld spot. i'll be back to eat my words when that happens... IF it happens.

Ciao fanboys

PS.>> as unreliable as "vgchartz" is, this picture is off their website...

and as we see yet again... Nintendo is tehh doommeedddd lol.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 17, 2008 at 02:24 PM. )
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 02:57 PM
 
I still love how you rationalize that the Wii is the best because it's #1, but last generation the Gamecube was best even though it was #3. Ultimate fanboyism.

Also, the Wii won't catch up to the 360 in the US for almost 2 years if the current Wii sales hold steady and 360 sales drop to 0. They have 2 million consoles to make up - that doesn't happen overnight.


Also - Who is saying Nintendo is doomed? Only person I can find in this thread saying that is you.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 03:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
my advice to you:
Spend less time playing shoot-em-ups, and a little time doing some basic math to determine which number is greater than the other before making completely stupid claims.
Spend less time playing games and more time doing math? What in the name of Jesum H Crowe are you smoking?

Still don't understand that sales do not equal greatness, do you?

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
And with that..i'll let you "gamers" get on with it, and ill be back when the XB360 or PS3 replace the Wii at #1 or when the PSP replaces the NintendoDS at the #1 handheld spot. i'll be back to eat my words when that happens... IF it happens.
Handheld devices are for kiddies, plus who the hell is talking about the DS or PSP, this is the CONSOLE thread muchacho.

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Nintendo is tehh doommeedddd lol.
I know you like being obtuse on purpose, but just try and wrap your head around this.

Nintendo is in the best financial status it's ever been with the weakest console ever.

The only person making this outlandish claim is YOU, nobody else has said Nintendo is going down because of the Wii, just the opposite. Nintendo is selling tons of Wiis. To people (like you) who admit they aren't hardcore gamers.

I can only say it so many times...this is the GAMING forum, not the BUSINESS forum.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 06:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Just like Apple Nintendo is not catering for the hardcore gamer market. God, I thought most non-knuckle dragging simians would have got this into their heads by now. This goes for BOTH sides of this inane "debate"!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 06:21 PM
 
So Nintendo beats the other's by being in it's own class?
     
Forum Regular
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 18, 2008, 05:29 PM
 
I think these slow release periods give people too much time to argue. Pick up an old game and have fun instead of worrying about who is best.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2008, 02:53 AM
 
My little brother has a huge Wii games collection, something like 41 but he plays Mario Kart non stop.
     
Eug
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Caught in a web of deceit.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2008, 10:17 AM
 
Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it.

DailyTech - Xbox 360 Ahead of PS3 in March; Nintendo Still Tops

The NPD Group has released its retail findings for March, revealing that Nintendo has sold a staggering 721,000 Wii console for the month – no doubt selling every unit to hit store shelves. To further add to the regular demand, the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl has Nintendo fans in a frenzy.

The Nintendo DS carries on with strong, unwavering sales at 698,000 units sold, just behind the Wii.

“Nintendo systems represented 58 percent of all video game hardware sold in March in the United States,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales and marketing. “We expect our momentum to continue with big upcoming game launches like Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit.”

Sony’s handheld took a distant, but still respectable third spot with the PSP selling 297,000 units. The success of the PSP during March is likely attributed to the release of God of War: Chains of Olympus and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII for the portable.

Microsoft was finally able to pull ahead of the PlayStation 3 after being behind for the first two months of 2008. The Xbox 360 sold 262,000 units, perhaps as a sign of supplies finally being replenished at retailers.

“Going into March, some key U.S. retailers were still experiencing the trickle down effect of Xbox 360 console shortages,” Microsoft said in a statement. “By the end of March, supply issues had improved and we expect retailers to be fully stocked with Xbox 360 consoles in time for the "Grand Theft Auto IV" launch.”

The PlayStation 3 held its position over the previous-generation counterpart, selling 257,000 consoles. The PlayStation 2 sat in sixth with a still relevant 216,000 units sold.


Summary (March 2008 US sales):

Wii: 721000
DS: 698000
PSP: 297000
360: 262000
PS3: 257000
PS2: 216000

In other words, Nintendo continues to totally destroy the competition, and the PS3 still is performing relatively poorly despite Blu-ray winning the hi-def war.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2008, 11:34 AM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
So Nintendo beats the other's by being in it's own class?
Way to miss the point there buddy. Woosh!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 21, 2008, 09:08 AM
 
Wii owners don't buy games:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/21/te...ss&oref=slogin
These new gamers are content with the games they have, often going no further than the Wii Sports game that comes with the machine. They don’t buy new games with the fervor of a traditional gamer who is constantly seeking new stimulation.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 21, 2008, 09:20 AM
 
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
That would jive perfectly with software sales we've seen for other consoles.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2