Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 202 votes (31.91%)
Nintendo Wii 328 votes (51.82%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.65%)
None 34 votes (5.37%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 633. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 196)
Thread Tools
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 18, 2011, 08:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Reading comprehension. "My"
Yes. I notice that... now.


Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Bullshit. Considering the amount of double and triple posts I used to get in here doing the news its only a matter of time.
I'm sure things will pick up around E3. Maybe all the console fanboys that fueled this thread will return. Hawkeye, GoMac, Sprinkles, Starman... none of them seem to post here any more.

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 11:09 AM
 
Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Sorry, I'm going to disagree with you there. I highly doubt it will dominate over Gears 3 and Modern Warfare 3 this holiday season.
Originally Posted by Jawbone54
In short, I believe this is the greatest franchise of the current generation (quality-wise), and it will certainly dominate my 2011 holidays and beyond.
There's absolutely no doubt that GoW and MW3 will outsell Uncharted 3, but that's an absolute travesty -- the game is better than either series. The only comparable series for this generation would have to be Mass Effect.

Trending upward:









Trending downward (slightly, I know):





Decent, but outselling everything:





And the only great CoD games:





I've never played Gears of War 2, but I've played all the rest, and so far there's nothing that has compared to Uncharted 2. Admittedly, I'm only an hour or so in with Mass Effect 2 on PS3, so I can say for sure that it won't eclipse it. I'm a sucker for a great story, and I know ME2 has it. I just don't know if I'll eventually get bogged down due to the pacing.

I'm aware the Uncharted love is a personal opinion, but I do think it's a shame that one FPS after the other gets thrown to the top of the sales charts, even if they suck. *COUGHHOMEFRONTCOUGH*

Uncharted 2 eventually sold over 4.3 million, which means 45,000,000 PS3 owners still haven't experienced it, and that's a crying shame.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 11:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm aware the Uncharted love is a personal opinion, but I do think it's a shame that one FPS after the other gets thrown to the top of the sales charts, even if they suck. *COUGHHOMEFRONTCOUGH*
Oh please, people bought it for the multiplayer gameplay, which is actually good. Certainly moreso than that abortion GoW2, which multi was still Jekyll and Hyde 6 months after launch(and never budging from the Top 4 in Live). As far as sales go FPS and/or multiplayer gameplay > anything else.

Anyway, the complaining is unbecoming. I care not where AC:B or RDR finished within the Top 10 of sales charts, because it doesn't change that they were the best games made last year.

Edit: The sales chart are even more meaningless now, too, since they've been reengineered towards multiplatform releases.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Apr 19, 2011 at 11:26 AM. )
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 11:34 AM
 
It's not so much that I'm complaining. I'm legitimately disappointed for all the people that missed out on it. The game deserves a ton of love. I know it racked up most of the game of the year awards, but still...

Also, you can keep talking yourself into thinking that Homefront's multiplayer was "good," but it was far less interesting/fun than MW2's, BO's, BC2's, or even Reach's multiplayer. I don't regret trying it out, but I also don't regret returning it.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 11:39 AM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It's not so much that I'm complaining. I'm legitimately disappointed for all the people that missed out on it. The game deserves a ton of love. I know it racked up a ton of game of the year awards, but still...
Those people are busy watching Blu-Rays.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Also, you can keep talking yourself into thinking that Homefront's multiplayer was "good," but it was far less interesting/fun than MW2's, BO's, BC2's, or even Reach's multiplayer. I don't regret trying it out, but I also don't regret returning it.
Yeah, sorry, we're in full-on opinion territory now.

BO: Inconsistent
BC2: Boring
Reach: Slow

I can see preferring BO if you need something more frenetic. I can see preferring Reach if you want more polished vehicle gameplay. If you want something that does both, take Homefront.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 12:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Those people are busy watching Blu-Rays.
Ker-pow...

Yeah, sorry, we're in full-on opinion territory now.

BO: Inconsistent
BC2: Boring
Reach: Slow

I can see preferring BO if you need something more frenetic. I can see preferring Reach if you want more polished vehicle gameplay. If you want something that does both, take Homefront.
I don't usually make sweeping generalizations about how other people should receive these games. Almost everything I post in this thread is personal opinion. However, according to pretty much every review I read, Homefront's multiplayer was okay, but wasn't on par with the big players in the genre.

I think so many people were so finished with CoD and the others that they talked themselves into liking a game that was actually a notch below what they were accustomed to playing.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 12:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I think so many people were so finished with CoD and the others that they talked themselves into liking a game that was actually a notch below what they were accustomed to playing.
Ithink the reality is that as much as people like to mock the CoD s for being "AAA" titles, they are. They have several years of polish and refinement behind them, and you can't expect a fresh release to come close to that level without some major funding and/or development time (and sometimes that still fails: see Medal of Honor). People expect AAA quality refined gameplay and networking out of fresh prospects from non-AAA development houses. It's crazy talk. One thing I've learned this gen is it's very difficult for the first release of a game to be great (see also: Assassin's Creed) regardless of where it comes from.

Homefront signified something important - there is a market for non CoD?Battlefield games waiting to be tapped. While I doubt Homefront will garner a sequel (between the misguided reviews and precarious developer position), I hope it encourages other developers to create their vision of a modern FPS. In the end that'd be a great thing for those of us who love the genre.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 01:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Ithink the reality is that as much as people like to mock the CoD s for being "AAA" titles, they are. They have several years of polish and refinement behind them, and you can't expect a fresh release to come close to that level without some major funding and/or development time (and sometimes that still fails: see Medal of Honor). People expect AAA quality refined gameplay and networking out of fresh prospects from non-AAA development houses. It's crazy talk. One thing I've learned this gen is it's very difficult for the first release of a game to be great (see also: Assassin's Creed) regardless of where it comes from.

Homefront signified something important - there is a market for non CoD?Battlefield games waiting to be tapped. While I doubt Homefront will garner a sequel (between the misguided reviews and precarious developer position), I hope it encourages other developers to create their vision of a modern FPS. In the end that'd be a great thing for those of us who love the genre.
I absolutely agree that the CoD series is AAA-quality, and that it inarguably tops the FPS genre. Off all the cross-platform FPSs, there's nothing that compares to the level of polish and depth. Add in that it has a stranglehold on mindshare, and you're looking at a smash hit with every release. The new maps have me actually considering them, even though I know they'll get about as much playtime as the last set (which is to say, very little).

The problem isn't that Homefront just wasn't good. It actually just felt old. The graphics were dated, the controls and feel of the game were janky, the maps were pretty uninteresting, and the overall package was just second-rate. I think the storyline is the only aspect of the game that felt like it could be successfully built upon. I'm hoping for other FPSs to take up the reins and built on the genre, but even if they had the backing, I don't think Homefront would be the title to do so.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 02:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I absolutely agree that the CoD series is AAA-quality, and that it inarguably tops the FPS genre. Off all the cross-platform FPSs, there's nothing that compares to the level of polish and depth. Add in that it has a stranglehold on mindshare, and you're looking at a smash hit with every release. The new maps have me actually considering them, even though I know they'll get about as much playtime as the last set (which is to say, very little).
So is it fair to compare new entries to these games?

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The problem isn't that Homefront just wasn't good. It actually just felt old. The graphics were dated, the controls and feel of the game were janky, the maps were pretty uninteresting, and the overall package was just second-rate.
You don't think the graphics were a result development time/budget? I mean, Crysis 2 is nice to look at but the maps are 1/3rd the size and I don't care for the gameplay, so is it that win? (I don't recall BC2s graphics being all that impressive, either).

The controls is a fair assessment. Like running through mud.

As for the maps, there's a grain of truth to it (At least TDM; Most appeared geared towards GC), but I thought Black Ops' maps sucked. At least Homefront's weren't claustrophobic.

Don't know what the "package" is.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I think the storyline is the only aspect of the game that felt like it could be successfully built upon. I'm hoping for other FPSs to take up the reins and built on the genre, but even if they had the backing, I don't think Homefront would be the title to do so.
The bottom line is I wouldn't trust KAOS Studios to do it.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 02:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
So is it fair to compare new entries to these games?
Yep...

...when you have to decide what to spend money on.

You don't think the graphics were a result development time/budget? I mean, Crysis 2 is nice to look at but the maps are 1/3rd the size and I don't care for the gameplay, so is it that win? (I don't recall BC2s graphics being all that impressive, either).
Battlefield's graphics are fantastic in singleplayer. In multiplayer it seems like they're between fair and good, likely to compensate for the sheer size of the things. In any case, they're light years beyond Homefront. I tried Crysis 2 the other day. I wasn't impressed, and I'm not buying it.

...I'm not sure when I became so picky.

The controls is a fair assessment. Like running through mud.
If you can call it running.

As for the maps, there's a grain of truth to it (At least TDM; Most appeared geared towards GC), but I thought Black Ops' maps sucked. At least Homefront's weren't claustrophobic.
I still compare most maps to MW2's. I miss that game.

Don't know what the "package" is.
For the last time, I'm not showing it to you...

The bottom line is I wouldn't trust KAOS Studios to do it.
Bingo.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 03:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Yep...

...when you have to decide what to spend money on.
*cough*

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Of all the cross-platform FPSs, there's nothing that compares to the level of polish and depth.
This is fair to compare entry level games to?

To put it in NBA terms for you, is it fair to draft a rookie with a lottery pick and expect a '11 MVP Derrick Rose?

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
In multiplayer it seems like they're between fair and good, likely to compensate for the sheer size of the things.
Bingo!

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
In any case, they're light years beyond Homefront.
Yeah, how many revisions has Battlefield had on the console? Three?

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
If you can call it running.
Having played Halo, anything comes off as running.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I still compare most maps to MW2's. I miss that game.
As you should, on both counts.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
For the last time, I'm not showing it to you...
Dodge.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Bingo.
Where I hedge myself unceremoniously - I really hope it was KAOS that sucked and not THQ by ignoring obvious flaws that needed more time to fix. I hope that makes sense.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 03:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The controls is a fair assessment. Like running through mud.

As for the maps, there's a grain of truth to it (At least TDM; Most appeared geared towards GC), but I thought Black Ops' maps sucked. At least Homefront's weren't claustrophobic.
I'm probably the biggest fan of this game here.

The control are okay. The couple of problems I see are the controls for the humvee, that thing runs into everything, it's like a magnet to walls, trees, etc. (maybe this is more physics than controls). Drone deployment is terrible. Everytime I want to deploy a drone, I have to fight with it and usually get distracted and killed.

The maps are great, I've only seen a spawn problem on GC on lowlands where one team has taken over all the control points and spawn camped the spawn in the swamp, and the game kept spawning my team there. STOP spawning us there to be killed.

I've run into a freeze problem lately which seems to occur rarely, it's when I select a game type, it seems like it doesn't find a game and then tries to create a new one.

One of these days, I'll have to play Battlefield. Maybe Battlefield 3... I'll probably like it since it's better than Homefront.


P.S. I think it's time to lock this thread.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 03:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I'm probably the biggest fan of this game here.

The control are okay. The couple of problems I see are the controls for the humvee, that thing runs into everything, it's like a magnet to walls, trees, etc. (maybe this is more physics than controls).
Someone pointed out the ludicrousness of tanks not being able to just roll through fences, and you know, they're right. I suppose that's the other side of the Halo "What's cover?" coin. Your vehicles runs into everything.

Can the tanks in Battlefield roll through fences? I imagine they can. Big strike against Homefront there.


P.S. I think it's time to lock this thread.
Not quite. There's no reason to curtail a legitimate discussion in the name of...? Once all that populates this is misplaced bumps, then we'll talk.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 03:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Someone pointed out the ludicrousness of tanks not being able to just roll through fences, and you know, they're right. I suppose that's the other side of the Halo "What's cover?" coin. Your vehicles runs into everything.

Can the tanks in Battlefield roll through fences? I imagine they can. Big strike against Homefront there.
I was going to mention that too. I had also got my tank stuck between cement baracades, or on baracades.

I agree too, that's another negative against the physics of the game.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 03:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I suppose that's the other side of the Halo "What's cover?" coin. Your vehicles runs into everything.
I'm wondering now that Bungie isn't in control of Halo, if 343 and Microsoft are going to give the Halo franchise a "makeover". Adding in things like "running", cover, new weapons, etc...


P.S. Damn, now I'm keeping this damn thread alive. Die, die, damn thread!
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 19, 2011, 04:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Having played Halo, anything comes off as running.
Halo Fun Fact of the Day:
You run faster when you bunny hop.

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 12:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I'm probably the biggest fan of this game here.

One of these days, I'll have to play Battlefield. Maybe Battlefield 3... I'll probably like it since it's better than Homefront.
I'm right up there with you Lenny. I know this is sad, but I've probably put more hours in Homefront's multiplayer than I did with MW2. The vehicle aspect of the game make it so much more enticing to me.

Has anyone seen the trailer to Battlefield 3? I saw it on TV the other night. I've never played this series, but DAMN, the trailer got me seriously interested in purchasing it...

Battlefield 3 TV Commercial

Check out the 12 minutes of gameplay. WOW!!!

Take that snipin' bitch out!
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 01:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Halo Fun Fact of the Day:
You run faster when you bunny hop.
Go to hell faster, too.

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I'm right up there with you Lenny. I know this is sad, but I've probably put more hours in Homefront's multiplayer than I did with MW2. The vehicle aspect of the game make it so much more enticing to me.
Right. And if the achievement situations were reversed I'm sure your time played would be too.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 01:40 PM
 
Yeah, let's see how much multiplayer he plays after he reaches rank 50.

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 01:44 PM
 
A decent amount if he's trying for that expert achievement. Requires a 10 killstreak with every weapon.

Edit: Unless of course, he cheats.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 01:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Go to hell faster, too.
It's the sole reason why the Covenant gave Master Chief the nickname, Demon.

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 03:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
A decent amount if he's trying for that expert achievement. Requires a 10 killstreak with every weapon.

Edit: Unless of course, he cheats.
Are you sure the killstreaks are required? From the definition of the achievement, I saw, it required Expert in all Weapons, Vehicles, Drones, and Modes. I didn't see anything about getting Expert in killstreaks. Not that it would be hard for a good player to do. Hell I have a killstreak of 6 in most, a 10 in one, and I'm an average player.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 03:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
It's the sole reason why the Covenant gave Master Chief the nickname, Demon.
Stogie +3, Dakar +1
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 03:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Are you sure the killstreaks are required? From the definition of the achievement, I saw, it required Expert in all Weapons, Vehicles, Drones, and Modes. I didn't see anything about getting Expert in killstreaks. Not that it would be hard for a good player to do. Hell I have a killstreak of 6 in most, a 10 in one, and I'm an average player.
No, I'm not sure.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 03:51 PM
 
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 04:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Wrong thread, dumbass.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 04:33 PM
 
How so?
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 04:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
...pssst.

Don't want to have this thread locked, but I'll pull this car over if you kids don't quiet down!
...
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 04:45 PM
 
Nazi.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 04:48 PM
 
I hope you raise your kid with better reading skills.
(and he better have blond hair and blue eyes)
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 05:06 PM
 
Ha...I saw that.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 05:20 PM
 
Oh, now you can read.
     
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 20, 2011, 10:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Right. And if the achievement situations were reversed I'm sure your time played would be too.
True. As you guys said, Bogues and I are achievement whores.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Yeah, let's see how much multiplayer he plays after he reaches rank 50.
I'll be playing this game way beyond that.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
A decent amount if he's trying for that expert achievement. Requires a 10 killstreak with every weapon.

Edit: Unless of course, he cheats.
Getting a 10 kill streak is not too hard. I've already done it with 5 weapons. You just need to have the right set up.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 21, 2011, 09:27 AM
 
If any of you guys are tired of FPS games yet pick up the new Mortal Kombat. Only played it at a friend's house so far but it's pretty kick ass. Going out of town this weekend, but definitely plan on getting it when I come back.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 21, 2011, 09:28 AM
 
(Assuming you enjoy fighting games)
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 21, 2011, 10:20 AM
 
Yeah but who doesn't enjoy Mortal Kombat?

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 21, 2011, 10:22 AM
 
I'd get more enjoyment out of watching vids on YouTube than actually playing it. That's not a slam on the gameplay, but reflective of my skill and taste in genres.
     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2