Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Dakar's Halo 3 Thread

Dakar's Halo 3 Thread (Page 18)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 11:26 AM

Announcing

What is it?
The Halo Rocket Race Grand Prix of MacNN (How did I not get the word official in there? Season 1) is a 10 event championship based on the Halo 3 Rocket Race variant.

How do I enter?
Find a partner, submit your names, preferred team color, and an alternate.

How many teams can participate?
The Championship is ideal for four teams, however it will work with 3, 6 or 8 teams. The latter two will cause a secondary Playoff Season to determine who is the best of the best.

How will winners be determined?
Winners will be determined by earning "Championship Points" for winning races. These points will be determined by place and number of teams competing. Further, additonal points will be available to be earned by earning "pole" in each event's pre-game warm-up.

What do teams win?
Praise, respect, and a handy little graphic honoring your achievement. Furthermore, awards will be handed out in the post season, including Best Driver, MVIP, and others.
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; Feb 28, 2008 at 11:35 AM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
I was wondering, this is the mac forum, what kind of macs do the people of our halo community use (since we meet and play on a Microsoft console, ah the irony)? how long have you been a mac user?

My Mac - Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 15" Glossy ( check the sig)
Old macs - iBook G4, iMac G4, and iBook G3 (graphite toilet seat)

user since - 2000
I've used Macs my whole life (had them in grade school, high school and college), got my first one in 2001.
Current Mac: iMac Core Duo
Old Macs: iMac G3 500DV Graphite, PowerBook G4800

----

Fatty, I need a partner for RR, I figure this is the one gametype where we can't lose! Whaddaya say?

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 12:28 PM

I rock a 24" iMac (white) these days. Love the hell out of it too.

My bro works for MS, and he hated me for converting our parents to Mac, so I felt I'd throw him a bone and get a 360. But I love the 360. Just wish it had Blu-ray now.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Announcing
Oh man this sounds like serious fun! What are we looking at as far as a date/time? Is it just for the MacNN members or can we include guests?

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 01:05 PM

I don't think we're going to get many teams limited to just NNers (Plus guys like kb might like to use their roomate). So basically as long as each team has an NNer to check this thread/be on my friends, list I think we'll be ok.

Date/Time is TBA. I think what we'll do is two sessions of five Races (Including Poling). It'll be extra cool, because then I can put up some mid-season standings to incite chatter.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 01:14 PM

Sweet! I think I got a bit of a chubby just thinkin about it.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 01:16 PM

Wait till you see the GP event list.
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; Feb 28, 2008 at 01:33 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Sweet! I think I got a bit of a chubby just thinkin about it.
Nope, Dakar asked Fatty to be his teammate before you did.

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 01:47 PM

Zing.

Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2008, 01:56 PM

Rocket Race Grand Prix...i'm in
This is gonna be awesome, Dakar your ability to organize and generate games is insane

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 02:01 PM

sek, kb, maroma

I set up the event brackets, and it went surprisingly smoothly. For those who are following:

Format
Six game types, each playable on two boards
Four players sorted into four trios
Player speed will be increased to 110% on all gametypes
BR starts will occur, where applicable.
Each gametype will be limited to 12 minutes. If time expires, placement will be determined by scores, with the exception of Survivor, where living players will split up the available points evenly.

Goals
Each player should play each gametype and venue at least once
Each player should not play each gametype and venue more than twice (This number will probably change depending on how many players we have in the next tourny)
Players who prefer certain gametyeps/venues are more likely to receive them against other players who also prefer them
Players who avoid certain gametyeps/venues are less likely to receive them against other players who also avoid them
No player should play an avoided gametype of venue twice (This number will probably change depending on how many players we have in the next tourny)

The way I finished, everyone did succeed in the former. The latter was a little more difficult, but in the lesser of two evils, only locale suffered. Apologies, sek, but you'll be playing on Isolation twice, though if its any consolation, I'll be on Construct (my avoided locale) twice.

What I've learned
Say we get six people for the next official one, it's going to be endless if I try to create every possible trio. Therefore, I'll weight trios according to rank, with the caveat that every player should play every other player at least once. Ex: stogieman and Andy8 are more likely to see myself or maroma several times, and kb or sek only once.

I imagine it'll take me longer than 30 minutes to set the next one up, though.

Brackets coming up soon.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 02:07 PM

Dakar your ability to organize and generate games is insane
I seem to have hit my creative stride all of a sudden. We'll be good so long as we continue to get strong NN participation.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 03:18 PM

Test Tourny Brackets

Alpha Bracket
sek929, klb5090, ::maroma

Game 1 - Skill Kill @ The Pit
Game 2 - Nades & Spades @ Guardian
Game 3 - Crazy King @ Snowbound

Beta Bracket
sek929, klb5090, Dakar

Game 1 - License to Kill @ Epitaph
Game 2 - Survivor @ Isolation
Game 3 - Skill Kill @ Guardian

Delta Bracket
klb5090, ::maroma::, Dakar

Game 1 - Crazy King @ Construct
Game 2 - Fiesta @ Epitaph
Game 3 - Survivor @ The Pit

Gamma Bracket
sek929, ::maroma::, Dakar

Game 1 - Nades & Spades @ Snowbound
Game 2 - Fiesta @ Construct
Game 3 - License to Kill @ Isolation

Preferably, only one bracket should be played in a night (or at least an hour between each other). Players should not warm-up against each other. Games should be played in succession without a break.

Final gametype and location settings will be explained soon.

Players may download my Epitaph v2 variant from my fileshare to familiarize themselves with the changes, if they wish.

----

sek, I'm designating you the tourny coordinater in my stead for the Alpha Bracket, so I'll need you to download the entire contents of my Fileshare. I'll be adding more after that, as well.
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; Feb 28, 2008 at 03:36 PM. )

Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 04:37 PM

How in ****'s name did you do that?
That man I just killed threw both the Grav Lift and Bubble shield in a vain attempt to live.

sek that panorama shot is ****en awesome, I read that article yesterday on Bungie's website thinking without a good photo program it wouldn't be possible, what did you use?
hugin - Panorama photo stitcher

I was wondering, this is the mac forum, what kind of macs do the people of our halo community use (since we meet and play on a Microsoft console, ah the irony)? how long have you been a mac user
Never used anything else. Got a second-hand PowerMac 7200 in 97, bought an iMac 333 G3 in 99, and my current machine is a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 733. I've maxed out the RAM, added HDs, DVD-RW...

Fatty, I need a partner for RR, I figure this is the one gametype where we can't lose! Whaddaya say?
I'm down, homie.

Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar The Fourth
sek, I'm designating you the tourny coordinater in my stead for the Alpha Bracket, so I'll need you to download the entire contents of my Fileshare. I'll be adding more after that, as well.
Can-do considering the amount of effort you've already put into this.

Also, I'd like my title to be president of calendars.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 04:53 PM

As you wish, Mister Monday.

Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 05:00 PM

Will I have to then add those files to my fileshare?

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 05:06 PM

Not at the moment. When we progress to the official tourney I imagine we'll have to designate a tertiary tourny coordinator (VP of Calendars) for those couple of brackets we won't be in.

Do we want to try and a set a meeting time to get one of the brackets done?

Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 05:10 PM

I am totally free all day and all night. Except for dinner with my mommy and daddy which is promptly at 6PM.

Edit: Bogues is on right now so maybe we can get Beta Bracket out of the way. Once you're out of work, of course.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 05:11 PM

I may be available come 10.30-11 tonight. I guess that leaves ::maroma:: or kb in a race to decide which bracket we do.

Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 05:13 PM

Perfect for me, dammit, should I get a mic today or what?

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 05:21 PM

Quick explanation of the Level changes from the Test Tourny:

Construct: Created or changed zones for Crazy King. Changed/removed Maulers to fit bungie's current matchmaking
Snowbound: Created or changed zones for Crazy King. Removed Ghost and moved Overshield into it's place. Changed Spawn Zones for three-way battles.
Guardian: Removed all Maulers to fit bungie's current matchmaking. Left Flare.
Epitaph: Added Crates and Barriers to compartamentalize the bottom level, remove long sight lines, and add cover. Replaced Maulers with SMGs to fit bungie's current matchmaking.

Skill Kill:
Here I've changed how scoring works here. Normally Kill = +1, Suicide: -1.
Now:
Kill = +3
Assist = +1
Death = -2
Suicide = -2
Beatdown = +1
Assasination = +1
Headshot = +1 (Unclear but I think this only counts with the Snipe)
Stick = +1
Splatter = +1

Since I've tripled the kill worth, I've made the game to 75. To add startegy, I've added a death penalty. Now, if sek is leading, it benefits me more to kill him rather than say, ::maroma:: in a three way.

Since assist don't get enough credit, I've made them worth 1/3rd a kill (1/2 seems far too much). This should give a small bonus to those who get kill stolen (or fail to steal themselves). In a 1-1-1 game, this probably doesn't factor as much as in a 1-1-1-1-1.

Examples: Also, let's say you have rockets and you blow yourself and your foe up -- you get +3 for killing them, -2 for dying, and -2 Suicide for a net of -1 (And your foe takes a -2). Let's face it, it didn't take much skill, so you shouldn't really progress.
Second: Let's say a double beatdown occurs. That's +3 for the kill, +1 for the beatdown, and -2 for the death for a net of +2 overall. Not bad.

I believe that's everything.
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; Feb 28, 2008 at 05:36 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Perfect for me, dammit, should I get a mic today or what?
Yeah, I'm not sure I want to go through this without you having one.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 05:23 PM

I think I'm available tonight at my usual time. The only thing that would change that is if my girlfriend decides to come over tonight. If so, I won't be able to play tonight, but tomorrow and/or the weekend would be open. I should know if she's indeed coming over within a few hours from now.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 05:24 PM

Yeah, just post on here if you find out you're unavailable. I may be on earlier, though I doubt it.

Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 05:29 PM

Lousy girlfriends!

Awesome skill point system too. However, you do get awarded headshots for other weapons (mainly the BR) but just not the headshot award. I'm assuming the award is what lets the game know how many points to give you.

<off to Best Buy in a few hours for me>

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 05:30 PM

That's exactly what I meant.

Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 05:32 PM

Just thinking out loud, don't mind me.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 08:26 PM

Just got word that the gf is coming over tonight. Looks like I'm going to have a Halo-less night. I'll just have to find something to fill that void.
Yup, I went there.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 08:40 PM

<off to Best Buy in a few hours for me>
You gonna pick yourself up a new mic?

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.

Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 08:41 PM

Yes indeedy Stogie.

I would've gotten the BT mic if it wasn't 60 ****'in dollars, but the wire doesn't bother me that much.

Also picked up some DL DVD Rs for movies I don't want to compress.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Just got word that the gf is coming over tonight. Looks like I'm going to have a Halo-less night. I'll just have to find something to fill that void.
Bible study and prayer, hopefully. Perhaps listening to some Christian Rock, if ti won't disturb the neighbors.

I would've gotten the BT mic if it wasn't 60 ****'in dollars, but the wire doesn't bother me that much.
I haven't actually tried one, but they don't look like they'd attach to your ear too comfortably.

And I enjoy the ease with which I can mute/unplug the current one. More handy than you'd think.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 09:48 AM

Pic of the Day

It's a before and after, you figure it out.

As promised, awards will be coming later!

Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2008, 10:54 AM

I got the Halo 3 special edition 360 when it came out along with the BT mic, i used the mic only a few times because it is very uncomfortable to wear! (maybe my ears are too big or something does not fit right). I prefer the wired mic headset.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 11:00 AM

See, Andy8 proves I'm not crazy.

Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2008, 12:35 PM

anyone down to meet up and get some games in tonight? maybe get a bracket for the tournament done? I'll be on tonight probably around 9 or so till late EST

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 12:59 PM

I may be on late -- past 10 pm. Depends how tired I am.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 01:11 PM

The MacNN Meet-up Awards 2.21.08 Edition

The Patrick Swayze Award goes to...

Spartan Stelios and his undeniable mancrush on the Ghost. Whether it was Last Resort, Isolation, Sandtrap Gauss, or High Ground, Stelios was there, in the driver's seat, vehicle whoring as best he could. Well done, Stelios, looks like you've got a little of the [Staff] Captain [Dakar] in you.

You know, while we're using this image...

The David Hasslehoff award goes to...

Kevin Bogues, and his Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde-like performance on the night. Kevin would have a -9 performance then follow it up with a +8. I haven't seen this type of consistency since John Kerry's Presidential campaign.

The Who's the Boss? Award goes to...

sek and Dakar, who when teamed up seemed to take turns turning in passable performances, before ultimately being canceled too late. To save face I am not assigning the roles of Angela or Tony to anyone (stogie, you're Jonathan). Let's just move on.

Most Improved Player goes to...

::maroma::, unquestionably. From the upstart 16 who would alternate between dwelling with the bottom feeders and challenging the Grade 2 Captains and above, to the grizzled 30 who put out consistent performances second to only the Brigadiers, ::maroma:: has shown the most improvement of any of NNers to date.

Your Most Valable Player is...

Chris Gilpin whose win loss record on Thursday night speaks for itself. It was Chris' team that won both BTBs on Sandtrap Gauss, even though he was on a different team each time. Chris was the only Spartan to collect a Killtacular during License to Kill, despite having several higher ranked players surrounding him. Even his two losses (both in LTK) are minimized when you add the three team performances in the three tight LTK matches and find that Chris' Teams scored the most overall.

Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2008, 01:41 PM

Thank you, Thank you. I'd like to thank all the little people, all those recruits, privates, and gunnery sergeants that allowed me to receive this award. I will take this award with great dignity...
and when i post it on my fridge i'll make sure to black out the -8 game
( Last edited by klb5090; Feb 29, 2008 at 02:12 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 02:21 PM

Wow! I got most improved player! I feel so loved its almost uncomfortable. I will now have to live up to the award, so as not to get the One Hit Wonder award later on.

I was dyin last night thinking about you guys having all that fun while I was sitting at Typhoon Thai Restaurant burning my mouth with some Drunken Noodles. I should be able to play some this weekend if there are any matches happening.

And now to resurrect "The Game I'll Never Let Die" (which is probably my peak as a Halo player):

Sorry Sek

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 02:28 PM

Here, I made you a sig:

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 02:52 PM

OMG that's hot!

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 03:00 PM

I didn't actually think you'd use it

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 03:12 PM

Oh hell yeah I'm usin it! At least until I get off my arse and make one for myself. Until then this one will do juuuust fiiiiine.

Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 03:52 PM

We are not amused!

Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 04:26 PM

Also, on the tourney note:

I might opt to get drunk tonight instead of staying home. Sounds like Dakar might be to sleepy to play anyways.

I might be down for some late-late-night play if anyone will still be on.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 04:33 PM

Well, looks like I'm avaiable earlier than expected if sek and kb wanna do our Bracket.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 04:43 PM

If you wanna play before ya get drunk msg me McSecondPlace

Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2008, 04:51 PM

i might run to the bar for a while too, we'll see. I'll let everyone know and if not i'll definitely be on late night

Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 04:52 PM

If you wanna play before ya get drunk msg me McSecondPlace
I'm going to save up some mean teabags for you....

Forum Links
Forum Rules