Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Dakar's Halo 3 Thread

Dakar's Halo 3 Thread (Page 33)
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2008, 06:15 PM

On the map pack front I will be DLing them tommorrow...but I have some stupid plans with my girlfriends' jerk parents at their crappy house or something.

Then I am sure that my girlfriend will selfishly not want to go home and leave me alone with my new-found video game glory.

In other words, I won't be playing tomorrow.

Also.....WE NEED TO FINISH NNGP!

That it all.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 11:50 PM

God, I don't even care anymore. All our momentum has since been neutralized. I can't even remember the last time I drove a mongoose.

I'm pretty busy this week, but I suppose we can try for Thursday, 10.30.

If we don't finish it soon, I may just call it as is.

Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2008, 12:05 AM

although studying will take over my life tomorrow, i may just have to sign on and get a few (just a few?) games in on the new maps,
Sek, good TH today sorry i cut out early, living with people is a b****

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 09:05 AM

Is it too early to start bitching about the maps?

I dled them when I got up and previewed Avalanche real quick... I'm not sure I see what the point of a Hornet is when it has to go under that stupid structure where the U meets.

Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2008, 01:23 PM

Downloading now...

_______

Good news everyone! That stupid jerk dinner has been cancelled! I still expect the g/f to be over around 7:30-8. Which leaves me from 4-6, and 6:20(I'm going to wolf dinner down)-7:30/8.

Hope to see you jerks on!

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 01:25 PM

****, I probably won't be home till 7.

But I'll be on most of the night if stoges and MAIRONMAN want to join me.
(And anyone else who is downloading the maps but doesn't post in this thread often)

Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2008, 01:29 PM

Dammit!

Oh well, the news maps will spark my Halo 3 playing probably until GTAIV comes out...or I see Bogues on RSV2.

The g/f has school tomorrow so my hours are the same except 6:30-sleep...which is around 11 for me now.

I hope to see you soon.....sexy.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 01:32 PM

*blush*

Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2008, 01:33 PM

i'm going to download the maps right after my last class, hopefully i can get a few games in before i dedicate my evening to econ, Dakar since you've played them, whats the initial impression of Ghosttown and Blacklockout

Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2008, 01:36 PM

Just whipped the super-sweet-new-paintjob Mongoose around Sidewinder (yeah I know, Avalanche, **** that, I'm calling it Sidewinder)

Love the huge mancannons, besides that I don't have any other impressions besides how pretty it is.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 01:36 PM

I only previewed Avalanche. I need to go home at lunch to pick something up I may take a quick walkabout of Ghost Town then.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Just whipped the super-sweet-new-paintjob Mongoose around Snowbound (yeah I know, Avalanche, **** that, I'm calling it Snowbound)

Love the huge mancannons, besides that I don't have any other impressions besides how pretty it is.
For the record, a warthog goes across the abyss in the center cavern quite easily via mancannon.

Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2008, 01:38 PM

I almost committed suicide after landing on my head via mancannon Mongoose.

Expect to see plenty of new map-o-ramas tonight!

Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2008, 01:38 PM

you know, you guys are like online peer pressure, i think i'm skipping my last class and going to download and halo it up, i'm unsure if i remember how to reload and jump

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 01:40 PM

Is it me or are the giant mancannons weird or pointless? I don't see how you'd use more than the bottom cannon.

Edit: MY obvious unfamiliarity with the map may be coming through here.

I'm a little curious how they're going to implement BTS on this map through he DLC hopper, though.

Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2008, 01:41 PM

Good, let your video gaming anger flow through you.

Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Is it me or are the giant mancannons weird or pointless? I don't see how you'd use more than the bottom cannon.

Edit: MY obvious unfamiliarity with the map may be coming through here.

I'm a little curious how they're going to implement BTS on this map through he DLC hopper, though.
If nothing else they look super-sweet!
Am I a bastard for considering blowing my g/f off tonight? You think she'll understand if I said "But there is a new DLC Map Pack and my MacNN buddies will be playing!!

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 01:44 PM

Tough call man. Depends when you saw her last... and what you two could potentially be doing tonight.

Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2008, 01:44 PM

If nothing else they look super-sweet!
Am I a bastard for considering blowing my g/f off tonight? You think she'll understand if I said "But there is a new DLC Map Pack and my MacNN buddies will be playing!!
Haha i think she'll understand.... NOT
but it could be worth it

Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2008, 01:46 PM

DOWNLOADING... i must say i can feel the halo returning to my life

Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2008, 01:48 PM

Tough call man. Depends when you saw her last... and what you two could potentially be doing tonight.
I mean if you could get some capture the flag on beaver creek it could be worth meeting the g/f... if you know what i mean

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 01:53 PM

$5 says is stogie and MAIRONMAN weigh in here saying they'll be on tonight, it should be enough to break sek's will.

Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2008, 02:18 PM

Quick first impresssions:
Ghost Town - awesome, perfect close quarters battles and weapon selection.
Lockout - a exact remake of one of my favorite levels, everything i hoped for
Avalanche (Sidewinder) - good scenery, warthog is key, i agree with Dakar the Hornet is not going to be effective, love the mancannons

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 03:38 PM

Had to go home at lunch, a few notes:

Ghost Town has some odd potential. Defensively it's a logistical nightmare, offensively, the reverse. There are lots of ways in and out of everywhere.

Blackout will be a nice FFA addition (particularly since Epitaph is universally panned). Guardian was the spiritual successor to Lockout, which Blackout is a remake of, and some of the similarities are apparent (sniper tower, lift room). Still, they're different enough that it'll be great.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 03:42 PM

$5 says is stogie and MAIRONMAN weigh in here saying they'll be on tonight, it should be enough to break sek's will.
You win!!

Yep, I'll be downloading the maps as soon as I get home. Then firing up Halo as soon as they are finished downloading. Hot damn, can't wait! I'm hoping its not too late for the rest of you though.

I just finished listening to the Bungie podcast and they were discussing the new maps. Nothing new really, they were just yapping and being a bunch of clowns. They aren't very professional as podcasters (go figure).

Anyhow, I hope the download goes quick!

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 03:45 PM

It took around an hour on NetZero at 6 am. Good luck.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
You win!!
Only if sek breaks.

Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2008, 04:43 PM

took me about 20 minutes on this college cable internet

Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2008, 04:57 PM

It took around an hour on NetZero at 6 am. Good luck.
Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
took me about 20 minutes on this college cable internet
Same here, around 15 minutes on Comcast....god your connection blows Dakar.

Only if sek breaks.
I convinced her to show up at 8, so in girl terms that means around 8:30. Tomorrow night will be the time for me to be able to meet up with all you jerks, including you PST super-jerks.

I'm hopping on right now, so if anyone is near an xbox shoot me an invite.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 05:01 PM

Same here, around 15 minutes on Comcast....god your connection blows Dakar.
Well, I don't honestly know how long it took... I set it up and went right back to bed and got up an hour later and it was done. I suspect it was closer to 30-40 minutes.

Oh, and speaking of connections just a few days ago I received a letter from Verizon offering me their 3mb DSL package (You know, the same on I was told wasn't available where I live). I'll be looking into it in a few weeks, so who knows...

Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2008, 05:22 PM

Yay! You win $5. I'll be downloading the maps as soon as I get home. I'll be on around 7pm PST.

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.

Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2008, 07:56 PM

KB and I got a handful of games on the new maps already. Results were as you'd expect from two guys that spent their last few weeks playing RSV2, my sniper skillz are lacking and my BR shots are wildly inaccurate. Nevertheless, it was a good learning experience and a shot in the arm to continue to re-claim my lost Halo 3 ability.

Legendary Map Pack first impressions complete with Fatty-O-Ramas!

Ghost-Town

Taken from KBs perspective of the upper walkways. Intense map, don't know where any weapons are and I have no idea how to get around. We got SPANKED this game.

I like it, alot. Crumbling infrastructure makes for some interesting opportunities for cutting corners and jumping like a madman. While watching the film I found out that I explored only about half of the tunnels and passages. Dakar is right, this level is an absolute nightmare to defend.

Blackout

KB and I lie and wait for some chump to come after us.

KB bubbles-it-up as I get my sniper groove back.

Considering this map is among my Halo favorites anyways it should be no surprise that this faithful recreation of Lockout kicks total ass. Only difference so far is the addition of a lot of vertical space and a drop-down spot into the middle passageway hub.

Avalanche

A KB look-alike on the gun as Fatty whips the hog

Weird back-alley area I came across all of sudden. Figured a Ghost could be propelled across, luckily I was right.

Another awesome recreation. Mancannons make the sheer size of this map bearable although the double up-high mancannons appear to be just for show. Love the new paintjobs for the vehicles and I already know where the sniper spawns, so game on. I think this map will surpass Sandtrap as the NN default BTB map, with no offense to Dakar, even though I'm sure he could Forge up some goodness, Sidewinder-style.

Site note: I had 10 out of 13 wheelmen awards, as we only lost by 5 as the time ran out.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 08:12 PM

Weird back-alley area I came across all of sudden. Figured a Ghost could be propelled across, luckily I was right.
That's the one I mentioned testing a Warthog on.

I think this map will surpass Sandtrap as the NN default BTB map, with no offense to Dakar, even though I'm sure he could Forge up some goodness, Sidewinder-style.
None taken, not a fan of Sandtrap's non-symmetricalness. Though I think Station 14 - The Rat will be in heavy rotation as well. (Hopefully we can test that out too, tonight).

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 08:14 PM

Damn, nice shots Sek! Makes me want to leave work early. Damn boss and his work ethic expectations!

And on an unrelated topic (something that popped into my head just now), I played against the best player I've ever run across last night on a random ranked BTB. This guy had me worried in the lobby when we looked at his stats. Then we found out that he got those stats by purely pwning people when he purely pwnd us. I swear he would head shot me from across the map on Valhalla with the BR. He would toss grenades seemingly out of nowhere, and they'd explode right on my face.

Here's his stats: Bungie.net : Bungie Online : Halo 3 Service Record

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 08:15 PM

Alright, I need to shower and eat and then its go-time.

Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2008, 08:17 PM

Some good times sek, for sure.
Awesome o-rams as usual, i'm glad we got a few games in today just to shake the rust off. Wow did i feel like a halo virgin again, at least i was it was with a fellow rusty player (all the RSV2 put me OFF my game) so i didn't feel like such a loser.

Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2008, 08:19 PM

This whole 'working' thing is really getting in the way of me enjoying NN Halo 3 meet-ups, mostly due to the fact we usually played from 10PM on, which I desperately need for sleep.

I can see Saturday as being the best possible day for me to play....but historically noone ends up playing then.

<sigh>

Maybe I can be coaxed to stay up late tomorrow night, I'll be sans-girlfriend and the morning of awful exhaustion can be cured by a Rockstar energy drink.

These new maps along with me being rusty as hell have re-invigorated my lust for H3. We haven't had a good custom-game-night for a while now....it's about time...

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 08:21 PM

Damn, nice shots Sek! Makes me want to leave work early. Damn boss and his work ethic expectations!

And on an unrelated topic (something that popped into my head just now), I played against the best player I've ever run across last night on a random ranked BTB. This guy had me worried in the lobby when we looked at his stats. Then we found out that he got those stats by purely pwning people when he purely pwnd us. I swear he would head shot me from across the map on Valhalla with the BR. He would toss grenades seemingly out of nowhere, and they'd explode right on my face.

Here's his stats: Bungie.net : Bungie Online : Halo 3 Service Record
This reminds me, I ran into someone who's XP stats were mind boggling. He had like 900+ Ranked games, 150-250 Social games, (1000+ Customs) and around 850 xp. It was unreal. I tried calculating his winning % if all those social games were double xp wins and it was still ridic.

Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2008, 08:24 PM

Maroma, that dude is pretty serious, He has over 100 of every medal past Overkill including 116 Killionaires in social, and 379 Exterminations. Not to mention a 2.24 KD in social. While his ranked stats aren't as ridiculous they are still good.
Today's halo games have given me a shot for some halo for sure, although i'm unsure if it can live past GTAIV release, but Bungie knows how to release things to keep me going, new maps, Team Swat Ranked (sek, we will hit this up). They have it all planned out

Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2008, 08:28 PM

Ranked Team SWAT on new maps FTW!

Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2008, 08:55 PM

I was just checking one of my favorite sites to waste time with Break.com and i saw this...Halo 3 One in a Million Death Video

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 09:48 PM

I just knew it'd involve the wheel.

---

Did my first DLC game on Ghost Town. Won it, man down off the bat, only player that finished in the positive (+3, -1, -1). And there was a (probably boosted) Major/L50 on the other team. Awesome.

We will play Station 14 tonight if it kills me. I did some revisions a weekend or two ago. Should be even awesomer.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2008, 10:41 AM

Well, stogie and I managed to sneak a few games in last night before I had to pass out.

Surprisingly, Ghost Town may very well be the best map of the pack. I think it'll be excellent for LTK games.

Blackout has some serious screw you over potential. The spawns can be horrific. Maybe this is because of its crazy multiple levels, but I've already spawned next to 3 enemy combatants. I see this map screwing over people in close games in the future. Otherwise, another cool LTK map.

Avalanche, the jury is still out on. Team Duel is a horrible way to judge the map. Particularly because no one thought it would be wise to try and use the Warthog for some damned reason. The snipers look like they could pwn big time though. And again, that thing the Hornet has to fly under is retarded.

Interesting thing to note: Maulers are not to be found anywhere on these maps. Coincidence? I think not.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2008, 12:48 PM

Took me 2+ hours to download the maps last night. By then I had fallen asleep, but woke up later and got in a few games. First map was Team Duel on Avalanche. It was pretty good, we won. I kind of like the openness of it. Makes for good lasering and sniping.

I will be on tonight playing more. Woo!

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2008, 12:51 PM

Took me 2+ hours to download the maps last night.
And they say I have NetZero...

I will be on tonight playing more. Woo!
I very much doubt I'll be on tonight. Even if I get home before 9 or 10, I'll probably just fall asleep in bed to an NBA game.

Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2008, 02:29 PM

Another awesome recreation. Mancannons make the sheer size of this map bearable although the double up-high mancannons appear to be just for show.
I wonder if you can reach those mancannons by hitching a ride on a Hornet? Hmmm.... I guess I'll find out tonight.

BTW, launching off the mancannons in a Wort Hog is waaaaay more satisfying on Avalanche than it is on Valhala.

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I wonder if you can reach those mancannons by hitching a ride on a Hornet? Hmmm.... I guess I'll find out tonight.
I was playing with that last night. The one's closest to the base are completely useless and the second set almost so. What really makes it irksome is in the time it'd take to fly the Hornet over, drop out and cannon across, the Hornet could have done it faster by going there directly.

Oh, checkout the heat map on bungie if you're bored. The level of Vehicle battle is pretty low. I blame the Laser and the center cave. The invis/sniper combos i just too good pass up.

Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2008, 06:03 PM

And they say I have NetZero...

I very much doubt I'll be on tonight. Even if I get home before 9 or 10, I'll probably just fall asleep in bed to an NBA game.
People still watch that 'NBA' thing? weird... i had no idea
anyway i'll be on late after the Pens game and the bar, probably after a few to many root beers (- the root)

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2008, 08:26 PM

Well, it appears I am home quite a bit earlier than anticipated, so I'll be on later for some creamy Legendary goodness.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2008, 12:44 AM

Legendary Brawl DoubleXP Playlist is up. 12 Player Ranked FFA.

Forum Links
Forum Rules