Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Dakar's Halo 3 Thread

Dakar's Halo 3 Thread (Page 55)
Games Meister
Oct 21, 2009, 01:19 PM

The Tools of Destruction really sum me up appropriately.

Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2009, 10:46 PM

He loves the big guns!

Hey, who doesn't love the Warthog machine gun and Scorpion tank. I'm not a Banshee guy, though, I'll leave it to other teammates.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Games Meister
Oct 22, 2009, 11:37 AM

Yes, they're being powerful is nice, but I'm a big fun of vehicle combat. I'm not up on the genre, but this is pretty much the only game whereI can get some. It'd be nice if they could design a Halo game along this type of combat. It'd be epic.

Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2009, 04:19 PM

That's why I still hold Halo decently high as a multilayer game. It has so many facets of gameplay it never gets old, unless you are like me and stick with one facet.

Games Meister
Oct 22, 2009, 04:22 PM

Well, I always thought that was the rather transparent reason I wanted to play BTB. Most of you guys didn't get to play on my Sandtrap Map more than once or twice, but the one with the Gauss Hogs and Hornets was still some of the most fun I've had on the game. Problem is the damn map requires at least 6 people (and preferably 8) to even play.

Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2009, 04:51 PM

I miss sniping you guys...

Games Meister
Oct 22, 2009, 05:12 PM

Here's a nice walk down memory lane. First the Gauss Map, then my most famous tournament in a long line of unfinished ones.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Let me start off by reiterating how awesome Thursday's MacNN Halo 3 meet was.

Now let me say how time consuming taking pictures and watching film for 12 players is. Nevertheless I sat down down with a pen and paper ready to jot down some notes and take as many pictures as there were players (technically there was an extra player, Chuckit, but you better shut up right now). Which brings me to...

Big Team Slayer on Sandtrap!

Oh boy what a game this was. Right from the get go lasers and rockets dominated this map, on both teams. Those who were the first to hop in vehicles met with quick and horrific ends. The following pics took place less than 1 minute into the match.

Oblivious Gunner

::maroma and Euthyphro13 just seconds before an early rocket-aided double-kill courtesy of that 'other' Brigadier, apsolid.

Fatty starts it off right

Yours truly annihilates Dakar (driver) and apsolid (gunner) with his first shot.

After 3 minutes of play apsolid and Dakar had quite a bit to gripe about. The reason, I kept hitting them with lasers! Muhuhhahah! By 3:04 I hit Dakar the 4th time with the laser and just before that apsolid tasted his third beam of concentrated photons.

Not one to be upstaged

Dakar lasers Chris out of the sky. I relieved him of his life via laser seconds afterwards.

By now the map had evened out a little and everyone started hopping into whatever vehicle they could find. I found myself getting kill #14 in the Hornet, which srd5010 promptly lasered right the hell down. apsolid held things down with the Rocket Launcher which, after watching him play all game, he is very proficient with.

Crosbie started out a little slow but found his groove later on in the game and ended up in third place. He also had one or two brushes with death without really knowing what the hell was going on.

Prayin' to the right God

God knows I would've cursed the heavens if I were theKurrigan, who is the oh-so-close marksman. Stogie, obliviously, just wants to pick up a weapon.

Spartan Stelios was mostly cannon fodder all game but registered his first (and only) kill via a very well-timed and executed splatter.

1 Kill, 1 Award.....good enough

That's Kevin Bogues getting the business end of a speeding Ghost.

That pic was more or less the halfway point of the game which, coincidentally, was also the 30 kills mark for Team Awesome, I mean Gold. By now Team Purple People Eater had only mustered 17 kills, the lion's share going to that other Brigadier. Must've been due to the fact no one was safe from my laser. Also, Chuckit joined the carnage around now for Team Purple. Luckily his moderation powers were useless on the Xbox Live tubes!

srd was the sleeper for Team Purple and made use of the Rocket Launcher, Laser, and anything else he could get his mitts on (including sniper). He ended my (1 kill short) running riot and was the only other person besides apsolid to give me any trouble (no offense to the rest of you jerks.

Close-call

srd5010 threads a field goal from the downed Phantom while chrisgilqin and Spartan Stelios obliviously look in all directions. In fact, he would fire three rockects directly near them before anyone caught on. Actually, from Crosbie to this I guess my team needs to turn up their sound a little before somebody gets hurt

Kill the head and the body dies

If I know someone is a threat I go after them before anyone else. Forgoing an easy close snipe I go for my second threat, srd5010, with deadly precision.

Dakar and medium9 started whipping around in the Gauss Hog causing all sorts of mischief. Laser-less, I hid away, hoping another teammate would take them down.

Wraith > Gauss Hog

First of all...Dakar, why did you leave poor medium here a sitting duck just waiting for Euthyphro13 to fricassee? I know you probably really wanted that Hornet but you both ended up dying, for shame.

You got SERVED!

Dakar tries to impress a stone-cold Fatty with his dance moves.

Chuckit was now the pride of the poison skies in his slightly damaged Hornet. Damaged from that Wraith two pictures ago, in fact.

Moderator of my heart

Charlie Blue unleashes fury from above. Fury is felt down below by Stelios.

Laser + Hornet = Might want to wash that Ghost seat off

Remember that scene from Braveheart where they moon the English troops? That might've help out my teammate Stogie here. Chuckit tears him a few holes right before Mr. Bogues gives him a Laser-enema.

I figured Chuckit was new to the party so I made sure to send him a gift almost everyone on the opposing team already got, a nice laser straight to the Hornet for Kill number 20 (47 for the team).

Fatty dislikes having another Brigadier to worry about

apsolid kills a near-invisible Fatty post Chuckit laser and gets the double kill on ::maroma:: right afterwards.

The game ends with ::maroma:: killing Team Purple People Eater's #1 killer, apsolid, with a nice Banshee attack.

Fatty Laser toll for Team Purple: DakarZero x4, apsolid x3, srd5010 x2, medium9 x1, and Charlie Blue x1.

The only person to avoid any laser deaths was Kevin Bogues.

Well, that took forever, and even then I struggled on the actual write-up. Very hard to come up with a game summary of 12 people murdering eachother in dozens of ways. I could have taken 50 pics from this game and it was a real joy seeing other's tactics for once.

next up: Nades N' Spades

Games Meister
Oct 22, 2009, 05:15 PM

Part II

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post

Next is two pictures that look ALL TO SIMILAR, although i hate to admit it these are only 10 seconds OR LESS apart from one and other, as maroma lies atop the sniper tower on dakars sandtrap map i decide to run up and attempt to take him out only to be destroyed not once, but twice in mere seconds.

...on a last note (not to toot my own horn) but i think sek has it nailed that i seem to start out slow but finish strong....
now only if i could learn to snipe like him

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Announcing

Games Meister
Oct 22, 2009, 05:22 PM

Part III

The MacNN Meet-up Awards 2.21.08 Edition

The Patrick Swayze Award goes to...

Spartan Stelios and his undeniable mancrush on the Ghost. Whether it was Last Resort, Isolation, Sandtrap Gauss, or High Ground, Stelios was there, in the driver's seat, vehicle whoring as best he could. Well done, Stelios, looks like you've got a little of the [Staff] Captain [Dakar] in you.

You know, while we're using this image...

The David Hasslehoff award goes to...

Kevin Bogues, and his Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde-like performance on the night. Kevin would have a -9 performance then follow it up with a +8. I haven't seen this type of consistency since John Kerry's Presidential campaign.

The Who's the Boss? Award goes to...

sek and Dakar, who when teamed up seemed to take turns turning in passable performances, before ultimately being canceled too late. To save face I am not assigning the roles of Angela or Tony to anyone (stogie, you're Jonathan). Let's just move on.

Most Improved Player goes to...

::maroma::, unquestionably. From the upstart 16 who would alternate between dwelling with the bottom feeders and challenging the Grade 2 Captains and above, to the grizzled 30 who put out consistent performances second to only the Brigadiers, ::maroma:: has shown the most improvement of any of NNers to date.

Your Most Valable Player is...

Chris Gilpin whose win loss record on Thursday night speaks for itself. It was Chris' team that won both BTBs on Sandtrap Gauss, even though he was on a different team each time. Chris was the only Spartan to collect a Killtacular during License to Kill, despite having several higher ranked players surrounding him. Even his two losses (both in LTK) are minimized when you add the three team performances in the three tight LTK matches and find that Chris' Teams scored the most overall.

Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2009, 05:38 PM

Good memories, if only MW2 wasn't coming out so soon...I was hoping for a H3 resurgence at some point.

Games Meister
Oct 22, 2009, 05:41 PM

It's impossible. You need a crew of at least 6 to rock out a night (4 is you're willing to social) and we had a hard enough time doing that before.

I have yet to feel confident about finding that much after MW2 comes out (see last year: Gears of War 2)

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2009, 05:43 PM

I miss sniping you guys...
And I miss tea-bagging you.

Now that everyone has all 6 Mythic Maps (except Fatty cause he's cheap) we need to schedule a night of Halo 3 matchmaking. I still have those custom maps from the SIP group. I would love to tryout the bumper cars & basketbomb maps with you guys.

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.

Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2009, 05:44 PM

Yeah, wishful thinking.

However, if we can get the same amount of people in a lobby for MW2 I expect lots of similarly hilarious memories...only without the oh-so-awesome-for-bragging screenshot feature.

Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Now that everyone has all 6 Mythic Maps (except Fatty cause he's cheap) we need to schedule a night of Halo 3 matchmaking. I still have those custom maps from the SIP group. I would love to tryout the bumper cars & basketbomb maps with you guys.
Honestly, if we can get the old crew back together I'd buy the damn maps (that is if they are available to buy separate from ODST)

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2009, 05:54 PM

However, if we can get the same amount of people in a lobby for MW2 I expect lots of similarly hilarious memories...only without the oh-so-awesome-for-bragging screenshot feature.
The screenshot feature is probably the biggest reason why this thread was such a success. I predict that the post game write-ups on our MW2 matches will not be as entertaining.

Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2009, 06:01 PM

Yeah definitely, they'll go something like this...

"I spawned and was killed by a camping sniper, then somebody called in an airstrike, shortly thereafter the match ended.

As much as I enjoy CoD MM it really is far more serious, and way less varied than Halo 3's offering.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2009, 06:16 PM

Oh man, that was a good walk down memory lane. Thanks Dakar.

I would be willing to dust off the old H3 disc and buy some of the maps that I've never played. It would be pretty ugly until I got my muscle memory back.

I'll be checking back here if you guys decide you want to try for a game night.

Games Meister
Oct 22, 2009, 06:21 PM

The screenshot feature is probably the biggest reason why this thread was such a success. I predict that the post game write-ups on our MW2 matches will not be as entertaining.
I hear that. Even if just saved each kill as a killcam video would be great.

Oh, I completely forgot that I had this project going for a while:

I'll need to dig up the files to show you guys what never got made.

Edit: Also:

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I also must say, I thoroughly enjoy Dakar's Sandtrap map. The more I play it the more I like it. Whenever I play a regular BTB and get Sandtrap it feels gimped and boring compared to Dakar's. I hope we can continue to get enough peeps on at the same time to play that map some more.
*fap fap fap*

Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2009, 06:34 PM

Those blurred graphics are your Duke Nukem Forever.

Games Meister
Oct 22, 2009, 06:38 PM

I just realized I'm giving H3 it's Eulogy.

Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2009, 06:47 PM

what a great walk down NN' lane, those were some great times. I must say that never had a video game has such a great "post" experience, i spend hours looking at video and taking screenshots/making panoramas.

Good times, Good Times.

I would love to get the real original crew together for one more night of H3 gaming before what i feel will be its funeral.

Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2009, 06:49 PM

I've had these saved in my picture folder since its first post. Love it.

Games Meister
Oct 22, 2009, 06:59 PM

My dying H3 wish is to play the Station 14 - The Rat with a large amount of people.

Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I just realized I'm giving H3 it's Eulogy.
It was a good game, it was a kind game...

Games Meister
Oct 22, 2009, 07:02 PM

I'm pretty sure this got fine tunes since I posted this, but still, what a guide. It's amazing how much time I put into this thread that I forgot about.

A Guide to Station 14 - The Rat

The Crossroads

The power drainer may look like the lone noteworthy piece in the photo -- until you look above it. Hidden on the archway is a hard-to-reach sniper rifle, accessible by jumping off either crate (which itself contains one plasma nade). The crates have other uses as well, if you know how to cram yourself into a tight spot. On the left is a spool and some machinery which hold their own secret...

Levels upon levels

Two platforms here house two very powerful weapons. The lower platform, from which ::maroma:: is jumping, holds the Gravity Hammer, whilst the upper platform, jutting out at a defensible angle from the top of the bridge, is home to a hard-to-reach Rocket Launcher, as well as a few frags. Entry to the bridge itself has since been closed, and enemies are now left to snipe at each other from their respective bases.

Entry Denied

This levels marks the first use of the Deployable Cover. Here it is used to the clever effect of blocking access to the defending base. Don't forget, certain weapons can fire out through the shield, while it can also be dropped with a few direct melee hits.

Cover me

One of the more strategic additions, this shield door now protects the freshly spawned, as well as the adventurous, from bullet fire, while leaving them relatively open to grenades. Not pictured, a power drain is now available directly under the shield and grating.

Jump Point

A new twist added, mostly for objective games, is the jump point. This teleporter, accessible only by Grav Lift, will dump the troops at the opposing teams base, straddled between their side entrance and main, but high above, on the pipes. From there, a team is only a radar jammer away from some very interesting possibilities.

Rally Point Alpha

High above mark the exit for the Jump Point, while down below, two fusion cores are set to explode, set-off by a well placed Trip Mine. Of course, a BR spurt from a safe venue will detonate them in equally effective manner, hopefully incapacitating a passing enemy vehicle long enough to be finished off properly.

Shortcut or Deathtrap

The center of the map has seen massive alterations to promote more strategy and less bullet and grenade spamming. Shield Doors now protect each base from vehicular attack and cross hall sniping. Sticky grenades temptingly sit just outside each archway, while Fusion Coils and Propane Tanks sit huddled in the corner, waiting to be set-off on the unsuspecting combatant or vehicle. A newly constructed ramp invites vehicles into the short-cut. A mongoose sits to the side, awaiting emergency use.

A Trap

Here, I demonstrate a one-man trap, as I deploy an Energy Drain on an approaching Warthog, then finish it with a trusty Rocket Launcher. sek gets caught in some fire, as the game decided it was wise to spawn him there. That Spawn Point has since been moved.

Dead Men tell no Secrets

Here, the awkwardly hung body of ::maroma:: shows us the brutality of war and the secret the machines of Station 14 hide.

Bad to the Bone

Crusin' on the twin Ghosts of The Rat. Each is located at either end of the precipice, next to the barrier at the archway.

Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2009, 07:04 PM

I have over 4gb in panorama images alone.

Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2009, 07:22 PM

friday or saturday night Halo 3 Revival/Goodbye?

Could we get the crew back, or at least most of it?

(i haven't had this itch to play Halo 3 multi in a long while)

Games Meister
Oct 22, 2009, 07:25 PM

More stuff I found:

Games Meister
Oct 22, 2009, 07:28 PM

My Friday is already booked.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Oct 22, 2009 at 07:35 PM. )

Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2009, 07:57 PM

you have that first place award laying around on your computer?

Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2009, 10:14 PM

Yes, they're being powerful is nice, but I'm a big fun of vehicle combat. I'm not up on the genre, but this is pretty much the only game whereI can get some. It'd be nice if they could design a Halo game along this type of combat. It'd be epic.
Actually talking about vehicle combat, I was looking forward to a Firefight map with vehicles, but there doesn't seem to be one. Although, I was wondering if I could highjack the banshee in Windward.
MacBook Pro

Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2009, 11:46 PM

friday or saturday night Halo 3 Revival/Goodbye?

Could we get the crew back, or at least most of it?

(i haven't had this itch to play Halo 3 multi in a long while)
No can do, bachelor party early Saturday (paintball) and g/f's birthday Sunday. Next weekend is the wedding for said bachelor. I'll make an effort to set aside one night the first weekend in November, right before MW2 comes out.

Games Meister
Oct 23, 2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Actually talking about vehicle combat, I was looking forward to a Firefight map with vehicles, but there doesn't seem to be one. Although, I was wondering if I could highjack the banshee in Windward.
...and that would have been genuinely different from Horde mode. *sigh*

No can do, bachelor party early Saturday (paintball) and g/f's birthday Sunday. Next weekend is the wedding for said bachelor. I'll make an effort to set aside one night the first weekend in November, right before MW2 comes out.
Yeah, I have two (or three) Halloween parties to attend next weekend, so it'll have be after that.

Games Meister
Oct 23, 2009, 02:24 PM

you that place laying on computer?
What's that? I'm having trouble understanding, your message is coming out all garbled.

---

I did find all the screens I ever took on my home comp last night. I should reupload some of those from the first NN Sandtrap Gauss Meet-up.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2009, 02:51 PM

The Lost Platoon map does. You get a Warthog right away or you can high-jack Choppers and Wraiths ( FYI, You can only high-jack/drive a Wraith when you're the host. Everyone else can only use in the turret.)

I don't believe you can high-jack a Banshee on Windward. However I did throw an incendiary grenade at one. It didn't do any damage but it was still funny to see a flaming Banshee flying around.

( Last edited by Stogieman; Oct 24, 2009 at 12:58 AM. )

Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2009, 12:26 AM

The Lost Platoon map does. You get a Warthog right away or you can high-jack Choppers and Wraiths ( FYI, You can only high-jack/drive a Wraith when you're the host. Everyone else can only use in the turret.)
Ahhh, I haven't checked out that map. Gotta check that one out this weekend.
MacBook Pro

Games Meister
Oct 24, 2009, 05:39 PM

Anybody up for Firefight tonight?

Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2009, 07:05 PM

yes sir, what time you getting on? I planned on watching the pens but can sacriface this early in the season if we can get a few people on.

Games Meister
Oct 24, 2009, 07:22 PM

Whenever is best. Can we even do it with two people?

Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2009, 07:35 PM

doubt it, we could use a third (maybe a fourth), i can be on anytime after 8:30pm EST

Games Meister
Oct 24, 2009, 08:05 PM

Hmm... Maybe we'll get lucky and Leonard will be on.

Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2009, 12:15 PM

Sorry guys, I was out at a concert Saturday evening.
MacBook Pro

Games Meister
Oct 26, 2009, 12:20 PM

I am gonna drop some serious commentary on this thread later.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2009, 03:31 PM

There better be screenshots included.

Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2009, 05:30 PM

I am gonna drop some serious commentary on this thread later.
That sounds like a threat!
MacBook Pro

Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2009, 06:55 PM

x232094823

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2009, 07:19 PM

It's probably taking him a while because there's no rewind button in ODST theater mode.

Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 07:23 PM

It's probably taking him a while because there's no rewind button in ODST theater mode.
Which sucks royally, BTW.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Games Meister
Oct 27, 2009, 07:25 PM

It was the same in Halo 3.

Games Meister
Oct 27, 2009, 07:27 PM

That sounds like a threat!
x232094823
Actually Leonard is right (probably unintentionally). I played H3 multi SUnday and I feel its my duty to now share with you what it looks like from a CoDers perspective (Much like I gave a Haloers perspective on CoD4 a few months ago).

I'll give you a hint: Not good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules