Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Going to buy a next-gen system?

View Poll Results: Gonna buy a new system this Fall?
Poll Options:
Definitely 3 votes (30.00%)
Thinking about it 3 votes (30.00%)
Gonna wait 3 votes (30.00%)
I'll stick with my Dreamcast, thanks 1 votes (10.00%)
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll
Going to buy a next-gen system?
Thread Tools
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 02:24 PM
 
I don't know how this question slipped by me, but now we have minimal specs on the new Sony and MS boxes, I think we're definitely ready.

So who's in? Myself, I'm tired of this crap, and the promise of a 64 player BF4 might be too much to pass up. The only way for me to be dissuaded right now is if the pricing is terrible.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 02:31 PM
 
For the layman who is barely paying attention, such as myself, when are these consoles going on sale?
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 02:33 PM
 
There are no announced dates (nor prices). I think these systems typically come out in November, though.

November 22, 2005
November 11, 2006
November 19, 2006

360, PS3, Wii
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 02:36 PM
 
Well I'll definitely be buying one of them, but I'll slate about a year from now as the earliest I will do so. This will give me time to start chipping away at the backlog of current gen games I never got to, and save up money so I can buy the correct version.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 02:47 PM
 
Dakar, are you going to buy one at launch? I'm going to wait and see if history repeats itself (RRODs, crappy launch titles, etc.)

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 02:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Dakar, are you going to buy one at launch? I'm going to wait and see if history repeats itself (RRODs, crappy launch titles, etc.)
I'm leaning towards it.

Of course, if I'm the only person I know who is willing to upgrade, that changes things.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 02:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Well I'll definitely be buying one of them, but I'll slate about a year from now as the earliest I will do so. This will give me time to start chipping away at the backlog of current gen games I never got to, and save up money so I can buy the correct version.
What's in the ol' backlog?
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 03:16 PM
 
Just off the top of my head:

Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 2/3, Forza Horizon, GTAV, Halo 4(maybe), Mass Effect series (maybe), RAGE, Red Dead Redemption, Spec-Ops The Line(definitely), finish up Skyrim and DLC, Tomb Raider.

The only game I am most certainly buying very soon is, of course, Metro: Last Light. The list is by no means set in stone, I'm just trying to illustrate there are plenty of fairly well-reviewed AAA games that can easily keep me entertained until the console decision is more cut and dried.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 03:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Just off the top of my head:

Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 2/3, Forza Horizon, GTAV, Halo 4(maybe), Mass Effect series (maybe), RAGE, Red Dead Redemption, Spec-Ops The Line(definitely), finish up Skyrim and DLC, Tomb Raider.
You son of a bitch.

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 03:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Just off the top of my head:

Dishonored, Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 2/3, Forza Horizon, GTAV, Halo 4(maybe), Mass Effect series (maybe), RAGE, Red Dead Redemption, Spec-Ops The Line(definitely), finish up Skyrim and DLC, Tomb Raider.

The only game I am most certainly buying very soon is, of course, Metro: Last Light. The list is by no means set in stone, I'm just trying to illustrate there are plenty of fairly well-reviewed AAA games that can easily keep me entertained until the console decision is more cut and dried.
I was wondering when you were gonna pick up Metro.

For me, I'd think GTA V would better on the One (ugh), but again, that's no fun if I'm the only one. Infinite might look better, not sure I care enough.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 03:33 PM
 
I'm pretty sure I'll pick one up close to launch. That's if Infinity, GTA V, and whatever Respawn has up their sleeves are available.

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 03:33 PM
 
I cancelled my order for a 27" iMac and was looking at going back to PC gaming with a 2000€ ($2500) setup. Looking more and more likely.

I'll wait until E3 to see if there's anything that really says "buy me!", because the One/4 events were just meh for me.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 03:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
You son of a bitch.
Maybe you can send me your copy? Hehe.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I was wondering when you were gonna pick up Metro.

For me, I'd think GTA V would better on the One (ugh), but again, that's no fun if I'm the only one. Infinite might look better, not sure I care enough.
I actually forgot when Metro was releasing, and I've been busy lately so I figured I could hold off a few weeks. GTAV might be a good purchase to hold off on, but I'm fine with the current level of 360 screens I see from Infinite.

Of course if I have a productive building season and an extra infusion of cash around xmas who knows what could happen.
I will take into account what you guys buy, but I really don't like the current level of asshattery rumors going around regarding used/borrowing games.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 03:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I cancelled my order for a 27" iMac and was looking at going back to PC gaming with a 2000€ ($2500) setup. Looking more and more likely.
Can't say that's out of the question for me either. My iMac is getting a bit long in the tooth, and the rumors of these extreme measures to keep used/borrowed games form working worry me.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 03:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
My iMac is getting a bit long in the tooth, and the rumors of these extreme measures to keep used/borrowed games form working worry me.
Here's the thing, unless its for principle, you're not going to be playing any more used games on a PC than a console.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 03:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Here's the thing, unless its for principle, you're not going to be playing any more used games on a PC than a console.
But at least he'll be able to.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 03:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
But at least he'll be able to.
Able to what?
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 03:44 PM
 
I was thinking more of a principle thing, if they want to make me jump through hoops as a paying customer then I'll just easily pirate PC games.

Of course 400-500 dollars versus 2000 will likely be a hurdle I won't jump.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 03:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I was thinking more of a principle thing, if they want to make me jump through hoops as a paying customer then I'll just easily pirate PC games.
Mmm, that thought did occur to me.



Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Of course 400-500 dollars versus 2000 will likely be a hurdle I won't jump.
Ignoring my lack of coordination, I just can't get past not knowing how every game will look on my PC before playing and having to worry about graphics cards and drivers.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 04:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Able to what?
Play a used game on his PC.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Ignoring my lack of coordination, I just can't get past not knowing how every game will look on my PC before playing and having to worry about graphics cards and drivers.
That's what's holding me back, and the reason that I switched from playing on the PC to the Xbox. Dunno if I want to get back into the 'upgrade this, upgrade that' every year or so.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 04:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Play a used game on his PC.
Uh, in what world can you do that?
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I'll let you know when I get there...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 04:13 PM
 
I'm definitely going to return to console gaming with the next gen. Still too early for me to decide on which console. I've had an Xbox, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360 - a mixed bag for sure. My favorite of that bunch was the PS2 because of the exclusive titles (Ratchet & Clank series, Gran Turismo series), but I definitely enjoyed playing (the early versions of) CoD on the 360 as well.

It will probably come down to what console my co-gamers are going to pick up, since I value the multiplayer experience over everything else.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 04:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Uh, in what world can you do that?
Are you telling me that you can't buy 2nd hand PC games in the states? There's loads for sale here. The Sims goes for 5€, Sim City 4 and Football Manager 2010 the same (and thats after a very quick look). Even the stuff that is on-line/multi is for sale, some saying with online codes and others saying no on-line code.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 04:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I'm definitely going to return to console gaming with the next gen. Still too early for me to decide on which console. I've had an Xbox, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360 - a mixed bag for sure. My favorite of that bunch was the PS2 because of the exclusive titles (Ratchet & Clank series, Gran Turismo series), but I definitely enjoyed playing (the early versions of) CoD on the 360 as well.

It will probably come down to what console my co-gamers are going to pick up, since I value the multiplayer experience over everything else.
Wasn't it you that was playing Borderlands 2 on the PC? And you recommended something else as well. So you have a gaming spec PC and consoles?
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 04:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Are you telling me that you can't buy 2nd hand PC games in the states? There's loads for sale here. The Sims goes for 5€, Sim City 4 and Football Manager 2010 the same (and thats after a very quick look). Even the stuff that is on-line/multi is for sale, some saying with online codes and others saying no on-line code.
Nopers. I think everything here has an activation key. And that's assuming you're one of the rare people that doesn't just buy and download it off Steam or whatever your digital dealer of choice is.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 04:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Nopers. I think everything here has an activation key. And that's assuming you're one of the rare people that doesn't just buy and download it off Steam or whatever your digital dealer of choice is.
Ah. Well, I don't know about Steam stuff, maybe its the same here. Although IIRC there's something about 2nd hand games in Europe, think the Eurocrats got involved or something. Might apply to music as well.

P might know more about it.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I'll let you know when I get there...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 21, 2013, 06:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Wasn't it you that was playing Borderlands 2 on the PC? And you recommended something else as well. So you have a gaming spec PC and consoles?
I have an iMac (which I use for work) with bootcamp. It handles games fine, but I'm hoping to be more immersed with the next gen consoles and my new 60" TV. I'm also trying to separate my work and play environments to create better habits.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 02:02 PM
 
We're already at the point in the console cycle where PCs are blowing away consoles, and from the little I've seen, this generation isn't bringing the iron to the table.

Likewise, the mod angle is very (figuratively and literally) attractive. I like Bethesda games, and Bethesda games like mods.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 02:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
We're already at the point in the console cycle where PCs are blowing away consoles, and from the little I've seen, this generation isn't bringing the iron to the table.

Likewise, the mod angle is very attractive. I like Bethesda games, and Bethesda games like mods.
Do you even own a console?
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 02:09 PM
 


Yes.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 02:11 PM
 
I prefer consoles, unless PCs are wiping the floor with them.

I think gaming should be done on the couch.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 02:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post


Yes.
How is this not a legit question?

Frankly I wouldn't have been surprised if you answer was the last console you owned was the N64.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 02:21 PM
 
I'm just surprised, that's all.

I have a PS3, Xbox 360 and a Wii.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 02:24 PM
 
Basically, the only console I haven't had at some point were the SNES and the N64. Not counting things like the Neo-Geo.

Oh... I don't have a Wii-U
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 02:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I have a PS3, Xbox 360 and a Wii.
Now its my turn to be surprised. Which one do your cats like sleeping on best? My guess its not the Wii because its dusty and never warm.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 02:42 PM
 
Sadly for the cat, they're all vertical.

They're also pretty dusty unfortunately.

The last console game I played was Skyrim, and I kept getting more and more pissed-off at how weak the hardware was.

The bigger issue though, is I seriously lack self-control when it comes to games. The way I've coped with it is not to play. When I do, it ends up like my vacation earlier this year. It was Baldur's Gate. Period.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I'll let you know when I get there...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 03:27 PM
 
Who honestly thinks about the hardware when playing a game? Let alone getting "pissed-off" at how "weak" it is...
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 03:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Who honestly thinks about the hardware when playing a game? Let alone getting "pissed-off" at how "weak" it is...
I think frame rate drops, screen-tearing, pop-in, and low quality textures could certainly grab someones attention as to the limitations of the hardware.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 03:34 PM
 
Exactly.

Then add in seeing screengrabs with more polygons, almost unlimited viewing distance, and higher resolution textures.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 03:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Who honestly thinks about the hardware when playing a game? Let alone getting "pissed-off" at how "weak" it is...
I didn't. Until I saw Skyrim on a beast of a machine. Fish jumping out of REAL water.

Then everytime I was going somewhere I'd notice how shite the scenery was. I won't even count the times I starting doing magic or shooting arrows at stuff like rocks or trees that weren't even that far off.

Plus we play console games on large screens and PC games on small(er) screens. Its always going to look shit on that 4whatever incher unless you've got some serious GPU available.
     
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I'll let you know when I get there...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 06:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think frame rate drops, screen-tearing, pop-in, and low quality textures could certainly grab someones attention as to the limitations of the hardware.
All of these things can be overlooked if the gameplay is solid (IMO).
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 06:42 PM
 
If I get one, its more likely to be an Xbox. 1. My 360 is an old noisy pre HDMI version. 2. I've got a load of PS+ games to get through on the PS3, and GT6 is a PS3 game. 3. BecauseForza5

E3 will probably decide it. There is also the Steam Box option if it ever turns up.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 07:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
All of these things can be overlooked if the gameplay is solid (IMO).
Part of the gameplay in Skyrim is how immersive the environment is.

The better the graphics, the better that aspect.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 09:37 PM
 
I found Skyrim to be utterly jaw-dropping at moments.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 22, 2013, 10:44 PM
 
Me too. And that was on ancient hardware.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 23, 2013, 05:41 AM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I found Skyrim to be utterly jaw-dropping at moments.
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Me too. And that was on ancient hardware.
On the Xbox?

I saw it on PC before playing it on the Xbox, guess that spoiled me.
     
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 23, 2013, 07:42 AM
 
There was an issue with Skyrim on the Xbox where it wouldn't show the high res textures and graphics if you installed the game to the hard drive, they patched it later on.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 23, 2013, 07:49 AM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
For the layman who is barely paying attention, such as myself, when are these consoles going on sale?
According to BF3, BF4 will be available on the 1st of Nov for the new Xbox.
     
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 23, 2013, 08:05 AM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
On the Xbox?

I saw it on PC before playing it on the Xbox, guess that spoiled me.
PS3.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 23, 2013, 09:51 AM
 
For those saying that video games should be played from the couch, are you aware of Steam's Big Picture Mode? I ran a long HDMI cable from my computer to my TV and I played through Sleeping Dogs in its entirety that way. I'm thinking about selling the Mini that's currently in the theater and putting my PC down there for even better gaming.

     
 
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:06 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2