Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Going to buy a next-gen system?

View Poll Results: Gonna buy a new system this Fall?
Poll Options:
Definitely 3 votes (30.00%)
Thinking about it 3 votes (30.00%)
Gonna wait 3 votes (30.00%)
I'll stick with my Dreamcast, thanks 1 votes (10.00%)
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll
Going to buy a next-gen system? (Page 2)
Games Meister
May 23, 2013, 08:59 AM

Do you use m/kb from the couch?

Mac Elite
May 23, 2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
For those saying that video games should be played from the couch, are you aware of Steam's Big Picture Mode? I ran a long HDMI cable from my computer to my TV and I played through Sleeping Dogs in its entirety that way. I'm thinking about selling the Mini that's currently in the theater and putting my PC down there for even better gaming.

[-img-]http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/images/bigpicture/Dwm%202012-09-05%2017-40-38-52.png[-/img-]
Just put bootcamp on the mini, no reason to sell it.

Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2013, 02:57 PM

For those saying that video games should be played from the couch
Dunno how long I've had an Xbox, but it's always been on my desk, next to the iMac. The wife 'owns' the TV.

Posting Junkie
May 23, 2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Do you use m/kb from the couch?
Yes - I've had one of these for the past four years:

It uses a couple AA batteries that last 3 or 4 months. For a while in our last place my only computer was my Mini hooked up to our 42" TV with that keyboard.

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Just put bootcamp on the mini, no reason to sell it.
It's a C2D Mini with GMA900 - my upstairs PC is a recent build (running OS X and Win7) with decent graphics capable of playing real games. The other upside is that then I'll have an excuse to get a nice 27" iMac for the living room, it will really clean up the computer corner.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Dunno how long I've had an Xbox, but it's always been on my desk, next to the iMac. The wife 'owns' the TV.
That's the other thing - once the gaming PC is downstairs, the wife can have the TV and all gaming will be done in the basement. Right now it's split so the consoles are downstairs and the PC is on the main level.

Games Meister
May 23, 2013, 03:47 PM

Yes - I've had one of these for the past four years
Blech. When I had my old PowerBook set up for emulation I despised any time I had to use the keyboard.

Clinically Insane
May 23, 2013, 04:37 PM

For those saying that video games should be played from the couch, are you aware of Steam's Big Picture Mode? I ran a long HDMI cable from my computer to my TV and I played through Sleeping Dogs in its entirety that way. I'm thinking about selling the Mini that's currently in the theater and putting my PC down there for even better gaming.

I'm a Mac user. Where am I going to get hardware powerful enough to run that?

Posting Junkie
May 24, 2013, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm a Mac user. Where am I going to get hardware powerful enough to run that?
Code:
Microsft Windows Vista ® / Windows 7: OS CPU: Intel ® Core2Duo 2.0GHz more than 2GB: Main Memory DirectX ® 10/11: graphics board or more ATI Radeon 3870 or AMD ATI card NVIDIA ® GeForce8800GT or NVIDIA ® more than 320MB: graphics memory 10GB: HDD capacity disk drive
Basically any Mac with dedicated graphics made in the past 4 years should do, right?

Posting Junkie
May 24, 2013, 11:21 AM

Blech. When I had my old PowerBook set up for emulation I despised any time I had to use the keyboard.
It can be a bit ornery at first, but playing a proper FPS with the extra keybinds is invaluable. Lean right/left, freelook, independent crouch/prone, and a myriad of functions on the mouse.

Playing DayZ for example. Behind wall for cover, can lean out and look then glace behind you, all without moving.

Games Meister
May 24, 2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
It can be a bit ornery at first, but playing a proper FPS with the extra keybinds is invaluable. Lean right/left, freelook, independent crouch/prone, and a myriad of functions on the mouse.

Playing DayZ for example. Behind wall for cover, can lean out and look then glace behind you, all without moving.
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about sitting down on your couch to play some X-Men arcade or Road Rash, and having to pull out a keyboard to navigate the damn GUI before you can switch to a controller to play the game proper.

Plus, where the hell do you hide/put the keyboard when you're not using it? It's not exactly incon-****ing-spicuous.

Clinically Insane
May 24, 2013, 01:47 PM

Code:
Microsft Windows Vista ® / Windows 7: OS CPU: Intel ® Core2Duo 2.0GHz more than 2GB: Main Memory DirectX ® 10/11: graphics board or more ATI Radeon 3870 or AMD ATI card NVIDIA ® GeForce8800GT or NVIDIA ® more than 320MB: graphics memory 10GB: HDD capacity disk drive
Basically any Mac with dedicated graphics made in the past 4 years should do, right?
But with lousy framerates, and options turned off.

Games Meister
May 24, 2013, 01:54 PM

I realize you get what you pay for, but iMacs coming with mobile graphics cards is what turned out to be my SimCity undoing.

Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2013, 03:28 PM

my upstairs PC is a recent build (running OS X and Win7) with decent graphics capable of playing real games.
Apologies for digressing, but is doing a Hackintosh easier or harder than it was a few years ago?

MacNN Staff
May 24, 2013, 04:53 PM

Apologies for digressing, but is doing a Hackintosh easier or harder than it was a few years ago?
Easier. Mostly a matter of part selection, the OS installation is a piece of cake.

P
May 28, 2013, 05:27 AM

Perhaps related... The Late 2009 and 2010 27" iMacs can be used as displays by any PC over DisplayPort. Apple for some reason removed this feature (newer iMacs require the signal to be Thunderbolt, which few PCs support), but for those two years, the feature is there. I used that to connect up my old PC with a fresh graphics card (Radeon 7850) to do my gaming on for a while. The old Core 2 CPU will hamstring it eventually, but for now it works.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Posting Junkie
May 28, 2013, 09:06 AM

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about sitting down on your couch to play some X-Men arcade or Road Rash, and having to pull out a keyboard to navigate the damn GUI before you can switch to a controller to play the game proper.

Plus, where the hell do you hide/put the keyboard when you're not using it? It's not exactly incon-****ing-spicuous.
Start Steam automatically at boot, set it to start into Big Picture mode. At that point you can use a gamepad for everything. The keyboard sits on the couch or leans against the side of the chair, it's fairly slim.

Easier. No torrenting shady installers, no more hacked kernels. Check out TonyMacx86. They lay out exactly which hardware to buy, then you use their utility to create a bootable USB stick from the OS X you downloaded from the App Store. After installation, you run their other utility with the right checkboxes marked to give you full network, sound, graphics, etc. I put together an i5/8GB/1TB/Blu-ray system with a 23" screen for under $700. Substitute a regular DVD drive and chop off $100.

Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2013, 09:47 AM

Easier. No torrenting shady installers, no more hacked kernels. Check out TonyMacx86. They lay out exactly which hardware to buy, then you use their utility to create a bootable USB stick from the OS X you downloaded from the App Store. After installation, you run their other utility with the right checkboxes marked to give you full network, sound, graphics, etc. I put together an i5/8GB/1TB/Blu-ray system with a 23" screen for under $700. Substitute a regular DVD drive and chop off $100.
Thanks for this info. Blue-Ray Windows only I presume.

Mac Elite
May 28, 2013, 05:52 PM

Thanks for this info. Blue-Ray Windows only I presume.
Should work just fine on the Mac side with appropriate software.

Posting Junkie
May 28, 2013, 05:59 PM

boy8cookie is correct - limited support from Apple, but MakeMKV handles ripping and Handbrake does the converting.

Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2013, 07:05 AM

Blu-ray Player from MacGo and Blu-ray ripper from pavtube do work. Blu-ray ripping is a massive time consuming process, though.

As for the thread topic, already did, Wii U.

Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2013, 07:31 AM

Thankyou for the Blue-Ray info.

=================

Xbox ONE : £599 on Amazon UK, £499 on zavvi.com (thats z a v v i)

Professional Poster
May 29, 2013, 07:41 AM

zavvi.com is £399. But until MS say a price, £399 is a made up number, their PS4 pre order is the same price.
Xbox | Zavvi.com

Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2013, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
zavvi.com is £399. But until MS say a price, £399 is a made up number, their PS4 pre order is the same price.
Xbox | Zavvi.com
Oops, saw this link and was thinking in sterling.

Games Meister
Jul 14, 2013, 05:09 PM

Are you getting for 360 or waiting for next-gen?
So I wanted to answer this here since it's more apropos.

After watching the GTAV trailer, including the online teaser at the end, my first thought was, "Who am I going to play this with?" Plainly, the answer is determined by what console I play it on. And that's when it became pretty clear – if I want play BF4 and GTAV with NN friends, its gonna have to be on the 360. Further, GTAV isn't even announced for next gen, and probably won't be out on it til 2014.

Its kinda a shame – I'm looking forward to the new player counts (and better framerate) on the PS4 BF3, and thanks to all the medical related bills I've put on my credit card this summer, I already have over $100 in amazon credit ready to go towards one.

On the flip side, I realized as soon as my gold membership expires, the Arcade I use to watch Netflix in the bedroom turns into a useless brick. So one more year of gold to hang out on the 360 has its uses.

What will probably happen is I pick up a PS4 in early to mid 2014 and double-dip on BF4. Who knows.

Games Meister
Aug 26, 2013, 11:59 AM

Most shocking thing I heard this weekend: Two of Bogues' friends have XBOX Ones preordered (which implies he does also). Only reason given was "I'm not much a Sony guy anymore"

Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2013, 12:09 PM

Oh good, I won't be all alone on Xbox One!
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2013, 01:34 PM

Most shocking thing I heard this weekend: Two of Bogues' friends have XBOX Ones preordered (which implies he does also). Only reason given was "I'm not much a Sony guy anymore"
I didn't press the issue because I didn't feel like getting into it, but why one Earth would someone be so gung-ho for the Xbone that they would actually pre-order the damn thing? Because here's my scoresheet in favor of the PS4 so far.

Cheaper
Probably going to be better built
PSN has matured over the years
No stupid mandatory accessory
99.9% of current games library are cross-platform
Better looking
Probably going to function as HTPC better

I guess the cable box functionality APsolid was talking about could matter if I would ever pay for cable TV again, but still, I can't honestly think of one single decent reason to buy the Bone, besides familiarity and brand loyalty (lulz).

Games Meister
Aug 26, 2013, 01:38 PM

I didn't press the issue because I didn't feel like getting into it, but why one Earth would someone be so gung-ho for the Xbone that they would actually pre-order the damn thing? Because here's my scoresheet in favor of the PS4 so far.
I didn't want to press it either, particularly when he said he used to be a Sony guy. What would cause one to switch that wouldn't cause you to switch again.

ANyway, it's pretty much brand loyalty and the ease of shopping it gives where you don't have to make a decision.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2013, 01:41 PM

I didn't press the issue because I didn't feel like getting into it, but why one Earth would someone be so gung-ho for the Xbone that they would actually pre-order the damn thing?
I don't understand this either, and had a heated discussion with some clan members. Reminded me of an Apple/PC, Canon/Nikon debate.

I have since left the clan - which is a pity because there are some really good blokes there. Funny how some people need to justify their choices by attacking those that question said choices. Oh well.

Games Meister
Aug 26, 2013, 02:21 PM

But even the Apple/PC thing doesn't seem that overblown anymore. Maybe iOS/Android...

Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2013, 03:08 PM

Cheaper
Probably going to be better built
PSN has matured over the years
No stupid mandatory accessory
99.9% of current games library are cross-platform
Better looking
Probably going to function as HTPC better

I guess the cable box functionality APsolid was talking about could matter if I would ever pay for cable TV again, but still, I can't honestly think of one single decent reason to buy the Bone, besides familiarity and brand loyalty (lulz).
I am going to miss the xbox 360 controller. I'm hoping there will be a decent 3rd party solution.

Will PSN have party chat or messaging through the iOS/Android apps like SmartGlass? That's my only concern.

Nobody ever mentions my legendary sexual prowess.

Forum Links
Forum Rules