Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > InFamous: Second Son

InFamous: Second Son
Thread Tools
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 31, 2014, 12:33 PM
 
Starting a new thread for some questions, rather than clog the game news thread.

Basically, I get the outline of the karma system (unlock certain powers and skill sets) but what I'm not sure about, is can you mix/match karma? Like rather than go third level good, can I get one level of evil to unlock a set of bad karma attacks? Or do I need to eradicate all good karma (three levels) before I can start taking evil powers?

Also, I was quite surprised to find I was 30% done with the game yesterday. I haven't done more than the opening mission in Seattle, and cleared one or two districts.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 31, 2014, 12:39 PM
 
Oh yeah, graffiti is terrible: "Here's this gimmick you did at the beginning of the game that was unwieldy – now repeat it 50 times because it effects the game for some nebulous reason."

Not to mention that every time the bulk of artwork is done during a black screen after you complete the initial, primitive base.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 31, 2014, 05:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Starting a new thread for some questions, rather than clog the game news thread.

Basically, I get the outline of the karma system (unlock certain powers and skill sets) but what I'm not sure about, is can you mix/match karma? Like rather than go third level good, can I get one level of evil to unlock a set of bad karma attacks? Or do I need to eradicate all good karma (three levels) before I can start taking evil powers?
You have to eradicate good karma to take evil powers.

I didn't figure this out until I reached 100% and then decided to pick up some of the trophies (such as "kill ten street musicians). I noticed that once my good karma decreased, I lost my level 5 good powers. It scales all the way back.

Also, I was quite surprised to find I was 30% done with the game yesterday. I haven't done more than the opening mission in Seattle, and cleared one or two districts.
The first half of the game seems really quick. I noticed my rate of progress slow as the difficulty ramps up, but this is certainly not a long game.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oh yeah, graffiti is terrible: "Here's this gimmick you did at the beginning of the game that was unwieldy – now repeat it 50 times because it effects the game for some nebulous reason."

Not to mention that every time the bulk of artwork is done during a black screen after you complete the initial, primitive base.
It's very tedious. I actually like the artwork, but after the third time or so, it became an obligation.

The tedium of the game is probably it's biggest drawback. It becomes necessary to shake things up by experimenting with all the different powers in different situations.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 1, 2014, 12:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
You have to eradicate good karma to take evil powers.

I didn't figure this out until I reached 100% and then decided to pick up some of the trophies (such as "kill ten street musicians). I noticed that once my good karma decreased, I lost my level 5 good powers. It scales all the way back.
Glad I read that one correctly.

Also, in typical Dakar fashion I have 50 shards saved up and no powers to spend them on.

---

Asshole comment, but the 'world' of Seattle should make on appreciate just what goes into a GTA. The people are lifeless and stupid – I saw a street musician playing in traffic and people checking their phones in the middle of the street. The cars mostly look the same and don't feel like they're being driven so much as guided.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 1, 2014, 04:49 PM
 
You have 50 extra shards? Did you complete the game?
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 1, 2014, 05:00 PM
 
Nope, 40% complete. I have a feeling I'll be getting my second set of powers shortly, as I just found Ms. Electro-light Graffiti's lair.

You mess around with the paper-trail DLC thingy?
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 1, 2014, 05:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Nope, 40% complete. I have a feeling I'll be getting my second set of powers shortly, as I just found Ms. Electro-light Graffiti's lair.
Ahhhh...

You're going to be spending all of those shards very quickly.

You mess around with the paper-trail DLC thingy?
I got started, then forgot all about it until completion. I need to go check it out again.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 1, 2014, 05:10 PM
 
(Warning: IGN Link) - Infamous: Second Son Patch Bringing New Features

Sucker Punch has announced Infamous: Second Son will be getting its first proper update in around two weeks, where several new features will be added.

The patch is said to have been designed in direct response to fan complaints, and the team is apparently planning to continuing rolling out new additions to the game as more feedback is received.
The first new addition is the ability to change the time of day once you've beaten the game. An entry in the option menu will allow you to switch as you please. That's not the only new option on the way though; you'll also be able to switch the HUD on and off from the menu, to enable you to get the perfect screenshot.

Finally, Sucker Punch has acknowledged that while the game was designed to be played with an unlocked frame rate, some people would rather it was locked. As such, an option will be included to prevent the game from bumping above 30fps that you can switch on if you're so inclined.
I'm glad about being able to adjust the weather, but I think it's the ability to disable to HUD for "perfect screenshots" that speaks to the game's aesthetics.

Also, I'm not really sure what the deal is with the FPS. Not once did I notice any drops in framerate.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 2, 2014, 11:15 AM
 
Ok, so how the hell do you activate the paper trail DLC / when does it come up? Because I'm not seeing it.

Got the second power last night and still had 35+ shards left over. It took draining all the cores to open the branches to use all my shards, leaving nothing left needing unlocked. Wowzers.

...and of course, night is gorgeous.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 2, 2014, 01:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Ok, so how the hell do you activate the paper trail DLC / when does it come up? Because I'm not seeing it.
The icon will pop up at some point. I'm not sure what the trigger is.

Got the second power last night and still had 35+ shards left over. It took draining all the cores to open the branches to use all my shards, leaving nothing left needing unlocked. Wowzers.
Okay, first of all, how many districts did you clear before progressing the story? I'm assuming the entire first island.

Secondly, what karma rank have you reached? Each progression will open up new powers, but I know you've seen that already.

Thirdly, there are more branches to the power tree upcoming.

...and of course, night is gorgeous.
Now you see why fans asked for time-change functionality in the upcoming patch.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 2, 2014, 01:21 PM
 
To be more specific, this icon will pop up:

     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 2, 2014, 01:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The icon will pop up at some point. I'm not sure what the trigger is.
Yeah googling for the trigger last night was fruitless and frustrating.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Okay, first of all, how many districts did you clear before progressing the story? I'm assuming the entire first island.
You bet your ass. I'm nothing, if not thorough.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Secondly, what karma rank have you reached? Each progression will open up new powers, but I know you've seen that already.
I think I got the fourth last night. Paragon.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Thirdly, there are more branches to the power tree upcoming.
You mean more powers. Duh. Electricity is about maxed now, though.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Now you see why fans asked for time-change functionality in the upcoming patch.
I never even commented, let alone questioned this. It was those very night screenshots that convinced me to pick-up the game.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Will it be on the main map? I noticed Cole's mission is on there but that logo is lacking.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 2, 2014, 01:26 PM
 
[EDIT] - Weird double post.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 2, 2014, 01:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah googling for the trigger last night was fruitless and frustrating.
If I remember correctly, I didn't see it until all the districts were cleared, but it might have been upon completing the story.

[You bet your ass. I'm nothing, if not thorough.
That's similar to how I progressed throughout the entire game. It makes it easy, but probably takes a little of the fun out of the power-leveling process. Infamous is a completionist's game for sure.

I think I got the fourth last night. Paragon.
Yeah, you'll be able to unlock all of the third power set immediately.

You mean more powers. Duh. Electricity is about maxed now, though.
Just be sure you have over 13 shards remaining for the final battle.

But seeing as you're a shard hound, that shouldn't be a problem.

I never even commented, let alone questioned this. It was those very night screenshots that convinced me to pick-up the game.
I wasn't implying you did. I'm just glad you appreciate it. I've tried to get people on 'NN to try Infamous for years, so any positive observations make me feel like someone is complimenting my child.

Will it be on the main map? I noticed Cole's mission is on there but that logo is lacking.
Yes it will, in the Neon power girl's lair on the first island.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 2, 2014, 02:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
If I remember correctly, I didn't see it until all the districts were cleared, but it might have been upon completing the story.
I hope that's not the case.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
That's similar to how I progressed throughout the entire game. It makes it easy, but probably takes a little of the fun out of the power-leveling process.
It might make the learning curve a little steeper, but otherwise, it makes some of the entry level powers worthwhile.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I've tried to get people on 'NN to try Infamous for years, so any positive observations make me feel like someone is complimenting my child.
Infamous wasn't the problem, the PS3 was.
     
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Standing on the shoulders of giants
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 3, 2014, 01:10 PM
 
I'm tempted to post "Wow, Dakar getting schooled by Jawbone." but I'm afraid that the attack will be brutal.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 3, 2014, 06:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I'm tempted to post "Wow, Dakar getting schooled by Jawbone." but I'm afraid that the attack will be brutal.
Whooooaa, whooooooa...don't bring that upon me.

I'm the non-confrontational one.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2014, 10:59 AM
 
I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, considering I'm asking for info.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 4, 2014, 11:43 AM
 
I don't either. I'm just going with it.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2014, 01:17 PM
 
I'm about halfway through the Paper Trail missions. It's very, very different than what I expected, and not in a bad way.

Without spoiling anything...

You have to actually do some digging around online and follow clues on your browser, switching back and forth between your PS4 and computer. This doesn't sound particularly fun without playing through it, but the challenge is unique enough that it's been intriguing.

Also, the new Conduit should've had a role in the main quest.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2014, 12:18 PM
 
Up to 80 some shards in reserve. All but the one on the news building, I think. I'm about to meet the next conduit, however.

Is there a way to get back up to the top of the space needle? I'd like to do the comet drop from there.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2014, 12:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Is there a way to get back up to the top of the space needle? I'd like to do the comet drop from there.
Nope. Apparently, there was a clause in their contract with whoever owns it. They weren't allowed to have anyone jump from the Space Needle.

To get the comet drop trophy, you'll have to use the next power from the top of the news building.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2014, 01:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Nope. Apparently, there was a clause in their contract with whoever owns it.
That is a really, really odd design decision.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 9, 2014, 10:51 AM
 
Ok, that third power is weird.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 9, 2014, 03:23 PM
 
Very.
     
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 10, 2014, 12:19 PM
 


Platinum at about 1:00 AM. It's only the second game I've ever completed 100%. I still have Paper Trail to finish, but I'm probably about to loan the game out until new DLC is available.
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 11, 2014, 10:14 AM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
loan the game out
**** you MS! In your eye!
     
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 15, 2014, 11:02 AM
 
For such a short game, its amazing that I haven't finished it.
     
   
Thread Tools
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2015 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2