Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes and ID3 tags

iTunes and ID3 tags
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2003, 02:18 PM

is there anyway to get iTunes to write ID3 tags instead of that damn XML file when I change the info on a song?

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2003, 04:05 PM

I believe that iTunes *DOES* update the ID3 tags, just the version2 tags. It will read version 1, but once you change it, it changes the v2, which is located in the first several bytes mp3 file rather than the last 128 bytes of the file.

If your not seeing the changes, you're using software than only views ID3v1 tags.

Hope this helps.

---gralem

Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2003, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by gralem:
I believe that iTunes *DOES* update the ID3 tags, just the version2 tags. It will read version 1, but once you change it, it changes the v2, which is located in the first several bytes mp3 file rather than the last 128 bytes of the file.

If your not seeing the changes, you're using software than only views ID3v1 tags.

Hope this helps.

---gralem
Nope, when I deleted my iTunes library and readded the files, they were back to the old ID3 tags, not the ones I had updated using iTunes 3.

Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2003, 11:59 PM

AFAIK, iTunes uses the XML file for certain versions of ID3v2 tags (like 2.3 and lower) but stores the data in the files themselves for others (like 2.4 and higher).

Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2003, 12:26 AM

select all your music, then:
advanced->convert id3 tags->id3 tag version 2.4
= decursive =

Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 12:32 AM

Yes, I know this thread is over a year old. But I didn't think I needed to start a new topic since it's related to the title. Here goes: I'm trying to get iTunes v.4.5 to do a batch renaming of songs. For example, I have lots of songs with titles like this:

Under "Song Name" - Christina Aguilera - Genie in a Bottle
Under "Artist" - It's blank

How do I do this for like 500 songs to have iTunes display it like this:

Under "Song Name" - Genie in a Bottle
Under "Artist" - Christina Aguilera

I've tried doing the ID3 tag renaming with ID3X, but since I'm new to this ID3 tag thing I may not have done it right. After renaming, I went back to iTunes and clicked on "Convert ID3 Tags" to version 2.4. All this to say, I don't know what the heck I'm doing. Please help.
( Last edited by TheIceMan; Jun 3, 2004 at 12:41 AM. )

Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 12:55 AM

Go here: http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/s.../scripts09.php
They have an Applescript that will automatically make the artists-song changes you described.

Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 01:17 AM

SupahCoolX: Much appreciated.

Artist - Name Corrector v1.5
written by Doug Adams

Corrects selected tracks' Song Names which are in the format "Artist - Song Name", placing the info on either side of the " - " in the Artist and Song Name tags, respectively. For example, a Song Name of "Johnny Cash - Rusty Cage" would send "Johnny Cash" to the Artist tag and truncate the Song Name to just "Rusty Cage".
However the Artist-Name Corrector script does not work for some. Any other way to do this and have it work more consistently?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2005, 05:04 PM

Doesn't seem to work for me. I mean, they convert, but their tags still aren't shown in other apps that read the ID3 tags.
MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz Core Duo

Forum Links
Forum Rules