Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > HELP! MY iTunes library is damaged

HELP! MY iTunes library is damaged
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 08:45 PM

my iTunes library is damaged, and i have lost all my playlists, play counts, and ratings!!!! I have them all on my iPod, but I don't know what to do

I want my Playlists back!!!!!!!!

Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 11:08 PM

How about telling us what happened?

Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 11:54 PM

it worked fine last night, and now it don't work

I trashed the library file, and made a new one

i gave up

none of the programs on versiontracker/macupdate did anything

my play counts.... my last played dates...alll gone

GONE!

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2003, 01:12 AM

Well if you trashed the Library file then of course you'll lose all your data.

Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 02:20 AM

if you cant get your library working again, download a program called iPodRip and copy all your playlists to your iTunes library.

it works great. i used it to copy my gf's ipod files to a new computer.

It should keep all your playcounts, if not, you'll at least have your playlists.

good luck

Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2004, 12:03 AM

I have the same/similar problem. My iTunes Library became corrupted. What I did was create a new library and import the XML file. This worked fine, with a couple of exceptions. It did not import the play count or date added, although I can see that both are included in the XML file. Also, when I connect my iPod, it indicates it is not attached to this library.

My questions are this:
1) Is there any way to import the XML file and retain the play count and date added? I can see that, if I had enough time and patience, I could probably use AppleScript to parse the XML file and update the play count. This would not work for the date added, because that is a read-only attribute. I am actually more interested in getting the date added, as I have some smart playlists which utilize this info.
2) Is there a way to convince iTunes that the library and iPod match? I don't want to have to re-sync 30GB of songs, plus I am hopeful that I could somehow update the computer with the library/database info from the iPod.

I would appreciate any pointers that you might have, as it will be a real bummer if I have to revert this way.
Bill Mayo
Picking Apples Since '87
IIgs | IIsi | Performa 630/6300 | G3/266 | G4/533x2 | G5/2Gx2 | MacBook 1.83

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 12:24 AM

Playcounts and last played dates are not stored on the iPod, as far as I know.

(This is my experience with first-generation iPods; newer ones may be different.)

Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Playcounts and last played dates are not stored on the iPod, as far as I know.

(This is my experience with first-generation iPods; newer ones may be different.)
I have a G3 iPod and I can report that, upon sync'ing, iTunes is updated with play counts and last played dates from the iPod. What I don't know is if the iPod keeps the grand total, or just a running total since it was last sync'ed.

If I can just find someway to have the import from the XML use all the included information, then I can deal with having to re-copy the whole library to the iPod.
Bill Mayo
Picking Apples Since '87
IIgs | IIsi | Performa 630/6300 | G3/266 | G4/533x2 | G5/2Gx2 | MacBook 1.83

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 08:19 PM

I am have the same issue. My girlfriend says her ipod was fine yesterday, today when she went to hook it up, her playlist where gone and some of the songs are missing too.. about 10 gigs, worth is missing... it seems to of removed the audio books we had, along w/... i dont know what else. There is a new itune music library.xml created today, and a itunes library.tl created today... there is an itunes library (damaged).itl that was last modified yesterday.... it is bigger than the non damaged one... non damaged = 6,154 kb, and the damaged is 9,768 kb... there is a temp file 1 that was created may 6th... so i dont think that has anythign to do w/ it... i see no other files... I can not figure how old the library it is using is... i can't remember the last time our library was only 30 gigs... i remember at least 32, and that was some time ago... many of our play list are missing (none where in itunes i had to reimport them) however some playlist where not in the itunes folder so i could not import them. I'm a tech support guy so fairly knowledgable, but do not know where to go from here, and itunes gives minimal support for us poor pc users....

any ideas?

Baninated
Aug 17, 2006, 09:18 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 05:35 AM. )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by porieux
How about reverting to your last saved backup?
I have not saved a backup for a little while... it appears to me that... that is what happened... that is why i am missing about 10 gigs worth of music... (it is still in my itunes music folder... just doesnt show up in itunes... )

Forum Links
Forum Rules