Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Basic ? on Preview, VLC..default settings...

Basic ? on Preview, VLC..default settings...
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2004, 12:26 PM

How do you set Preview to be the default pic viewer when you click on an image file? I thought i set this up, but still, on some images Photoshop is opened.

Also when I connect my SanDisk card reader, it automatically opens up Iphoto, I just want it to show in Finder and thats it.

Same with VLC, i want it to be the default video player, but someimes quicktime is used.

Any help? Thanks
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2004, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by s4iscool:
How do you set Preview to be the default pic viewer when you click on an image file? I thought i set this up, but still, on some images Photoshop is opened.

Also when I connect my SanDisk card reader, it automatically opens up Iphoto, I just want it to show in Finder and thats it.

Same with VLC, i want it to be the default video player, but someimes quicktime is used.

Any help? Thanks
1.) Get Info/Inspector on the pic file you want to open (Command+I) and change the "Open With Application" to Preview...and then hit the "Change All..." button

2.) Open up "Image Capture"...goto it's Preferences, and under the Camera tab, change what happens when a camera is connected...

3.) Same as #1 above; however, choose "VLC" for your video player and then hit the "Change All..." button again...

Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2004, 09:16 PM

Ok that is what I had done previously, but Quicktime will still try to preview files in Column View in finder. Also, some files will open in PS even through my default is Preview.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by s4iscool:
Ok that is what I had done previously, but Quicktime will still try to preview files in Column View in finder. Also, some files will open in PS even through my default is Preview.
I don't think you can stop QuickTime from previewing it in the Finder. VLC isn't a "helper application" the way QuickTime is; that is to say, QuickTime is hardcoded into the Mac OS.

I agree it is frustrating, mostly when you have a file QuickTime can't understand (a lot of .avi and DiVX files) and the Finder freezes while QuickTime tries to decode it.

As for the PS thing, any files you save with Photoshop automatically get linked to Photoshop (they don't belong to the default application, in this case Preview). If there was any way to change this, it would be somewhere in Photoshop's preference pane.

Forum Links
Forum Rules