Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Move iPhoto library from 1 computer to another?

Move iPhoto library from 1 computer to another?
Feb 26, 2005, 04:53 PM

Hey all,

How would I go about moving an iPhoto library from one computer to another. The last time I tried dragging the folder to a cdr, it brought along all the thumbnail files (.dmg?) as well and then put those in the new iPhoto library, so there were all these crappy duplicates when I was looking at them.

Any ideas?

thanks,
-M

Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 06:15 PM

If you take the "iPhoto Library" folder from your Pictures folder and place that in the exact same location on another computer then iPhoto will load it. You might also want to move the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file from your Library/Preferences folder as well but I'm not sure if it is necessary.

Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 06:31 PM

ot, but...are you really miles davis? (or the ghost of...)

wish i'd thought to use that screenname first...

miles rocked...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Mar 1, 2005, 06:03 PM

I tried moving the iPhoto Library folder from the 1st computer and put it in the iPhoto Library in the new computer, but when I start iPhoto, it does nothing to recognize it. Is there a way to consolidate them? As I mentioned before, if I add all the photos, it takes the crummy littl thumbnails too.

Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 06:35 PM

what about deleting the iphoto folder from the new computer, then opening the app, and dragging all your pics from the old folder directly into iphoto?

you'd create a new (& clean) library...

or u could try holding down command & option THEN open iphoto...see if you can rebuild your library.

back up everything first!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules