Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adium's message logs location

Adium's message logs location
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2005, 09:34 AM

Where does adium has it's message logs saved? I've noticed that even if I erase the messages from the "previous conversations" window they still remain saved somewhere.

10x

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2005, 09:50 AM

In your User folder:
/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Users/Default/Logs/
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Artanis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2005, 10:13 AM

This program is incredible, i did what u said and he still displays in my message windows previous conversations.

What can I do? I want to delete my message history too , not only the message logs.
( Last edited by Artanis; Nov 25, 2005 at 11:14 AM. )

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2005, 12:35 PM

Go to Preferences -> Advanced

There should be an option in there for message window, or message history, and a checkbox that asks if you want to display previous conversations in the window. Uncheck that, and Adium will not display messagehistory in the message window

Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2005, 04:11 PM

The message history will draw from the logs when version 1.0 is released, rather than being stored separately. The current design stores the last 5 messages in a separate location when you close a chat.

Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2005, 04:29 PM

Just a little tip about Adium logs ...

Personally, I hate where it stores them by default, and have always configured Trillian on Windows to store my chat logs in My Documents. You can do something similar in OS X ...

- Close Adium.
- Navigate to /Users/You/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Users/Default/ and move the Logs folder to your Documents folder (or wherever you want to keep it for easier access).
- Open up a Terminal, change directories to /Users/You/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Users/Default/ again, and create a symbolic link called "Logs" to the actual Logs directory. For example:

[Tomchu@Ginko]~/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Users/Default: ln -s /Users/Tomchu/Documents/Logs Logs

Artanis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
Just a little tip about Adium logs ...

- Open up a Terminal, change directories to /Users/You/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Users/Default/ again, and create a symbolic link called "Logs" to the actual Logs directory. For example:

[Tomchu@Ginko]~/Library/Application Support/Adium 2.0/Users/Default: ln -s /Users/Tomchu/Documents/Logs Logs
I perfectly understand what u are saying, I mean the idea, but I don't know how to do what u are saing. I am new in Mac's, I used only PC's until 3 months ago.

Please say to me:
-what do you mean by the word "terminal"?
-how exactly I create that "symbolic link"?

Artanis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2005, 10:20 AM

Hey u guys I hate double posting.

I really would like to know where is Adium storing my message history, not the logs, because if I erase the logs he is still able to remember my converastions history, so where are those?

I hope they are somewhere on my Mac.

10x

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Artanis
I perfectly understand what u are saying, I mean the idea, but I don't know how to do what u are saing. I am new in Mac's, I used only PC's until 3 months ago.

Please say to me:

Terminal is like DOS. in the *nix world its called terminal. You get to it from Applications-> utilities.

that's a copy/paste from Tomchu's terminal. first navigate to the directory you want to link to, the command you type in is [b]ln -s directory where you want the link to be name of link

Hey u guys I hate double posting.

I really would like to know where is Adium storing my message history, not the logs, because if I erase the logs he is still able to remember my converastions history, so where are those?

I hope they are somewhere on my Mac.

10x
not sure on that one... sorry.

Artanis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mpancha
Terminal is like DOS. in the *nix world its called terminal. You get to it from Applications-> utilities.

that's a copy/paste from Tomchu's terminal. first navigate to the directory you want to link to, the command you type in is [b]ln -s directory where you want the link to be name of link
It seems that I can not go further than the "library" directory because after this if I try to navigate to the "application support" directory it sais "No such file or directory".
I don't know exactly ho to proceed, but I got the ideea, just I can't go to that folder.

Can you help me a little more, or someone else?

Thank you

Originally Posted by mpancha
not sure on that one... sorry.
I finally found those, they are in Application Support>Adium 2.0>Users>Default>By object

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2005, 04:20 PM

It seems that I can not go further than the "library" directory because after this if I try to navigate to the "application support" directory it sais "No such file or directory".
I don't know exactly ho to proceed, but I got the ideea, just I can't go to that folder.

Can you help me a little more, or someone else?

Thank you
when you are trying to navigate to a folder that is multiple words (has spaces) you need to wrap it in quotes....

so in terminal instead of:

cd application support

use:
cd "application support"

Artanis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2005, 10:28 AM

I am very sorry for bringing this thread again, but I have the final question for you guys.

I am able to navigate to the folder and to type in the command, but when I type the command in, this message appears:

ln: illegal option -- /
usage: ln [-fhinsv] file1 file2
ln [-fhinsv] file ... directory
link file1 file2

What can I do? I am so interested about this because I think it will be useful for me for other programs too.

Thank you.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2005, 09:37 PM

I was going to suggest just telling people an easier way of doing it, using an Alias through the finder instead of using the Terminal to make a symlink -- because i was under the impression that an alias WAS a symlink, just created differently -- but I tried it and it didn't work. Adium gave an error, and nothing obvious that I could change with file permissions or anything seemed to fix it.

Anyone want to offer any ideas why a ln -s symlink works, but a Finder-made Alias doesn't? I'm just generally curious because i had been using them as identical things up until now, and perhaps I should not have.

Thanks!
( Last edited by Kadin2048; Dec 12, 2005 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added notification)

Artanis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kadin2048
I was going to suggest just telling people an easier way of doing it, using an Alias through the finder instead of using the Terminal to make a symlink -- because i was under the impression that an alias WAS a symlink, just created differently -- but I tried it and it didn't work. Adium gave an error, and nothing obvious that I could change with file permissions or anything seemed to fix it.

Anyone want to offer any ideas why a ln -s symlink works, but a Finder-made Alias doesn't? I'm just generally curious because i had been using them as identical things up until now, and perhaps I should not have.

Thanks!

I think that this doesn't work because the alias is a shortcut recognized only by the finder. The other applications perceive the alias in a different manner.
The error on you adium I think that is because he can't replace the alias with his genuwine "logs" folder. Have you noticed that if u erase the logs directory when u access adium he will recreate that folder. Because u placed that alias with the "Logs" name there he can't use it or recreate a "Logs " folder.He doesn't have overwrite permissions(or instructions to do so, I guess).

Forum Links
Forum Rules