Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Puzzled by Aperture's Requirements

Puzzled by Aperture's Requirements
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 12:49 AM

I don't understand Aperture's software requirements. It will run on my 1.33ghz Powerbook G4 with ATi 64mb video card, yet it won't run on a Power Mac Dual 1ghz G4 with a GeForce Ti 128mb video card. It seems like the dual 1ghz would outperform my 1.33ghz Powerbook G4 anyday, but why won't it run Aperture? Note: I didn't actually try to install Aperture on the Power Mac Dual 1ghz G4 but I installed Apple's Aperture "computer checker" and it says I don't meet the requirements. This just doesn't make sense, someone enlighten me!

Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 10:23 AM

I believe its not the cpu that's the cause of your PM not running Aperture but either
1. installed memory, perhaps your PB has more memory then your PM or more likely
2. the PM video card does not support.

Take a look at apperture'sSpecs they clearly do not mention your video card.

Aperture leverages and relies on the video card/core video heavily which means it requires a GPU capable of running CORE VIDEO. I tried running apertureon an intel mac mini and while the GPU could run core video it was a very painful experience running aperture.
Michael

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Aperture leverages and relies on the video card/core video heavily which means it requires a GPU capable of running CORE VIDEO.
Are you sure you don't mean CORE IMAGE?

Admin Emeritus
Oct 24, 2006, 09:11 PM

The reason for the bizarre system requirements contradictions is that, in all reality, Aperture should be listed as requiring a dual 1.8GHz system as a minimum.

But because there was no dual-core or dual-processor laptop available when Aperture was released, they "generously" permitted it to launch on late-model PowerBooks, even though they are woefully underpowered for Aperture use, just so that pros would at least be able to use it on the go.

tooki

Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
The reason for the bizarre system requirements contradictions is that, in all reality, Aperture should be listed as requiring a dual 1.8GHz system as a minimum.

But because there was no dual-core or dual-processor laptop available when Aperture was released, they "generously" permitted it to launch on late-model PowerBooks, even though they are woefully underpowered for Aperture use, just so that pros would at least be able to use it on the go.

tooki
Is there a workaround for this?

I'd love to try out Aperture with the new trial to see if it would be worth upgrading my mac sooner than later. But it will not run due to this limitation on my dual 1.42 with 2GB ram and 128 Geforce4ti.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules