Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any way to force Safari to use HTTPS?

Any way to force Safari to use HTTPS?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 02:52 AM

There are some pages that I would like to always connect via HTTPS. Problem is, if I use the links on a particular page, they go to HTTP. Is there any way to force Safari to always connect to certain domains via HTTPS rather than HTTP?

Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 08:24 AM

I was under the impression that had to do with the web page, and not just the browser, but I could be mistaken. It also doesn't seem to be an option even with the Debug menu in Safari.

Administrator
Aug 10, 2007, 08:31 AM

When you make the bookmark, include the "https://" instead of "http://" and those bookmarks will always use the appropriate protocol. If everyone is supposed to use HTTPS for those links, you're running into a problem with the site the links are on. If you have the option, just add the 's' in the address manually after you connect to the HTTP version.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2007, 09:32 AM

If a site does not offer an SSL cert, there is nothing you can do to force SSL. If the site simply doesn't redirect you to the secure site, what ghporter said is true, but you should contact the site owners. This is traditionally handled server-side, not client-side.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 01:02 PM

Let me clarify. There are plenty of sites that offer HTTPS for whatever but you have to type HTTPS, otherwise you get the regular site. For example, there is an encrypted GMail site (https://mail.google.com) but you have to type the S. It's not a case of the site being broken, they just don't have go to the encrypted page unless you really want it.

Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2007, 02:34 PM

shaun3000:

In theory, you could setup a script to telnet the SSL port, and if there is a response, open a browser at the SSL encrypted URL. However, I don't know a way to bridge this elegantly to your web browser so that this is more seamless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules